Creek Monkey Tap House

611 Escobar Street, Martinez, CA

• Creek Monkey Tap HousePro 2014
    Eric Brink
    4 Sep 14, 2013

I hosted a Company dinner here last night. I also stopped in a week before to check it out. They have done a nice job with the old Louise Louie Bertola's Building and I think the owners of Creek Monkey may have a winner on their hands. Here are the Pluses and Minuses as I currently see it:

CON

- The Service model needs work. Staff are friendly and very eager to please. However, drink orders were dropped or came out slowly and sometimes the left hand didn't seem to know what the right hand was doing.

- It's really noisy inside. We were sitting up front by the front window, yet we could hardly hear each other talk inside a busy, but not completely full room.

- The outdoor patio has a primo location next to the creek, but needs more shade for the rest of the picnic tables. We tried to sit there and it was too sun oppressive to continue.

PRO

- Monkey Creek seems to be very family friendly. Kiddy seats are available, staff expresses the right amount of "Isn't She Cute!", and why shouldn't Mom and Dad enjoy a beer and night out (with our without Junior)?

- The Food was very good, albeit currently limited. At our table, we tried and enjoyed the Mac and Cheese, the Monkey Burger, and a Cuban Sandwich. And it was delivered quickly, hot, and without any of the service issues mentioned above. Please note that between my visits, they changed the menu and I would expect that to continue as they calibrate their operations.

- I really enjoyed the Beer selection. I chose the Green Flash IPA and I was happy hoppy the rest of the evening (and sober driving home). This list is being calibrated as well, and there's lots of good stuff here. The only complaint that I got was from one friend who wanted "Yellow Beer" such as Budweiser. Oy!

- The Bar and Restaurant space if fun, friendly and welcoming. And the Giant's were on the Big Screen. It's definitely a place I already want to return.

1 member's review