Del Posto

85 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10011

Rachel Greene
    5 Oct 19, 2013

Eating here was probably the most upscale dining experience I have ever had in my life. The presentation was amazing, the service was the height of professional and expert. The food tasted fresh and delicious - every last bit of it. The menu options were unique and fabulous. Highly recommend the splurge.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
  • Del PostoPro 2014
    Laurel W
    4 Aug 15, 2013

I had read some very mixed reviews about this Mario Batali and Bastianich family restaurant. Unlike Mr. Batali, who seems always to be wearing shorts and orange clogs, the appearance of this restaurant is very upscale and unlike the usual Italian restaurant atmosphere, especially the type of restaurants he is famous for. The very large space with its high ceiling, tall windows, dark wood, marble floors, black iron railings along the central marble staircase and upper level dining area, give the place the immediate appearance of opulence. Wait staff are in black suits with white shirts. Most of the patrons are similarly well dressed, although as far as I could determine, there is no dress code. One family group included a young man in jeans and they were not turned away.

When we arrived, Dean Martin singing oldies was playing in the background. It struck me as somehow out of keeping with the appearance. Later a piano player was playing more oldies at the grand piano next to the staircase. I found the piano disconcertingly loud. I was somewhat relieved when he left and music from Italian operas was played at a much more subdued level although the noise level generally is high. The tables are spaced well apart so we were not chatting with other diners nor listening to their conversation.

Despite the French dining room appearance, the menu is clearly Italian and very extensive. A number of the offerings, roasted chicken was one I recall, provide table side carving service for the whole table. There is also a tasting menu. The offerings are both rustic and refined. I was so distracted reading the menu and wine list I forgot to note the amuse we were given to start but that we received them in itself seemed very French. We were given a selection of breads with butter and lardo. I had been reading about Batali extolling lardo so sampled what is essentially salted whipped up pork fat. The texture is like butter but it tastes like pork fat or bacon grease, something my mother was fond of cooking with. Interesting but a taste was enough. And we do not want to think about cholesterol. The wine list, which was all Italian, was huge with some reasonable prices for some of the very good selections. Del Posto also had a female sommelier, but this one seemed to be looking for something to do. Perhaps, diners feel less need for the advice of a sommelier in Italian restaurants?

I started with panzanella, a rustic Tuscan bread and tomato salad, a favourite of mine. It tasted fine but I found but the bread was rather dry, which it should not be since the point of the dish is to moisten stale bread, and the tomatoes were crushed rather than chopped so it had less tomato than I prefer. A scallop carpaccio starter was so tender, it melted in your mouth. We split a plate of tagliarini with an entire white truffle grated over top. This was undoubtedly the best pasta either of us have ever had. And at $80, certainly, the most expensive. But the smell and earthy flavour of the white truffles was incredible and the texture of the pasta was perfect. I question if we had not split the dish, it would have been too much food and too much richness for one course. For secondi, turkey which was braised with white wine, onions and red cabbage. Accompanying it was a dish called cebreo, braised bits of dark and organ meats topped with butter crumbs. That was very flavourful and very rich which made the breast meat seem even plainer. I had lamb loin which was tender and delicately flavoured. It came with black pepper and oil, fried basil leaves and what was described as tomato salsa, which was a tangy cooked tomato and olive compote-like side. It was delicious but too strong flavoured to be eaten with the lamb. For dessert, we had the apricot cassata, which was a variation on a baked Alaska. I had three types of solid chocolate which get chipped off a block and put on your plate at the table and are to be sampled with three different types of rum. These were like no other rum I had tasted before, they were more like brandy, and the combinations were an illuminating experience as was the opportunity to taste the variation in the chocolates. I could not finish the chocolate and when the server offered to pack it up for me so I could take it home, I accepted. I was given a coat check tag because the chocolate was put into a plastic container, then into a paper Del Posto bag and left at the coat check for me so I did not have to reduce the high tone of the restaurant by walking around with my “doggy bag”. Like a French restaurant, the meal ends with offerings from a cart full of more dessert, lots of little cookies.

The restrooms are downstairs, also accessed by a marble staircase with a rococo like black iron railing. There, the opulent decor continues as wines in racks behind glass are displayed and the restrooms are tucked into the corners.

Del Posto was a mixed experience for us; it would not be a place I would rush to return to, but we would not have wanted to miss the experience.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Beth Shull
    5 Mar 19, 2013

Impeccable service and delicious food. The best two hour family dining experience! Very accommodating to daughter's nut allergy- she felt like a princess. Loved it! Will go back as often as We can.

Pamela Seavey

One of the finest dining establishments in the city. What impressed me the most was how attentive the wait staff is to your every need. They are always there yet very unobtrusive. When it was time for dessert, they had a huge selection of cookies and candies on a large table from which to choose. When the waiter asked me which ones I would like to try, I jokingly responded "All of them!" The waiter proceeded to bring me one of every type of dessert they had on that table. Now THAT is service! Just an overall great experience.

• Del PostoAmbassadorPro 2014
    Nally

The best Italian restaurant in NYC. The dining room feels like you have almost gone back in time, to a grander New York scene. The food transports you to Italy. The service is perfect without being overly stuffy. Note: a la carte is no longer offered in the dining room.

Jessica Gallagher
    5 Jan 30, 2013
    Daniel Harvey
    4 Jan 02, 2013

Very good. The charred octopus appetizer was the best so far, delicious.

Kimberly Fisher