Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

1108 S Baldwin Ave, Arcadia, CA 91007
Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

Have I heard how good Din Tai Fung's food is? Yes.
    Have I heard how good their xiao long bao''s are? Yes.
    Is it as good as I was led to believe? No.

I've lived close by Din Tai Fung for more than ten years but I have never eaten at the restaurant before. I came to eat at Din Tai Fung maybe about 30 minutes before they were closing, and we didn't have to wait and were immediately seated at a table. Waiters and waitresses are all really friendly and willing to help out. They also all speak English, probably because not only Chinese people eat here. The only thing I wanted to try were their popular pork xiao long bao. But my boyfriend went a bit crazy and ordered the Shanghai rice noodles with pork, steamed beef noodle soup, one pork and vegetable bun, and one taro bun. I thought it would be way too much food, but I didn't realize how small the serving sizes are here ... we finished almost all of it!

Xiao long bao: This place is famous for their juicy pork dumplings. Yes, they are juicy (which is my favorite thing about eating xiao long bao - the soup that comes out when biting into that skin), but another thing I rate the dumplings on is the skin. Din Tai Fung's dumpling's skin seems to be hard and a little cold. Not sure if it's because of the way they are made, but each one of the dumplings didn't have warm skin, nor did it have that silky soft texture. And the pork inside was quite small. The ones my boyfriend makes for me at home are even better than this one! :X Compared to Mama Lu's - Mama Lu's xiao long bao wins hands down.

Beef noodle soup: Hah, really little noodle, a small bowl of soup. Can feed half a stomach. Definitely will not fill you up and there wasn't much in the soup.

Shanghai rice noodle: Decent, but portions are, once again, so small. Lots of oil.

Pork and vegetable bun? All I saw inside was spinach. Didn't taste good at all. But for $1.80, oh well.

Taro bun was okay. Bun was soft and the taro paste was pretty good.

I've also tried the black sesame, red bean and taro dumplings from here when my boss treated everybody in the office to some as dessert. Yeah, the paste inside the dumplings turn hard really quickly. The only one I liked was the black sesame. The red bean and taro become really hard and the skin had the same texture as the pork xlb ... so some extra hard dessert dumplings. Not good.

tl;dr: Portions are really small, but the prices are so expensive. And the xlb's skin is not soft but instead, quite hard. Service is good though. Would 100% go to Mama Lu's instead for cheaper dishes, better quality food and double the quantity of DTF. Really didn't see why people line up for over half an hour/hour for their food.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
  • Din Tai Fung Dumpling HouseCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014

Best soup dumplings in all of LA hands down! Worth the wait! Get the juicy pork dumplings and fish dumplings - my favorite! Also the fried rice cake and boba are great as well!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
  • Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

Every morsel of the dumpling is like soup in your mouth. It's fresh, hot, juicy, and everything you would want in a dim sum/dumpling place. Dim sum has never been the same since I've been here! My cousin took me to the one across the way back in May, and I couldn't stop but go to the one in Bellevue with my friends for dinner all the time (I lived in Seattle area back then), and now I have two locations near-by. I took my dad here for the first time, and he just LOVED it. He thought the wait was ridiculous, but the food is lot more fresh and soupy than traditional dim sum on a cart. I highly recommend the pork and shrimp dumplings (hell anything pork and shrimp there!), the bok choy, the spicy wontons (and I'm not into spicy stuff), the xiao long bao, and the fried rice (which I also don't like in general but something about this one is just dang tasty. I would say for 3 people it costs around $54, and for 4 people (this last time) I went it cost about $62. Well worth the 1 hour drive and the 1 hour+ wait!

Recommended for:Local Culture
  • Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

Pretty much everyone I know has been here before, so let me share with you the experience of someone who has only recently been introduced to the miracle that is Xiao Long Bao. I've been to a few dumpling houses as of recent, and some dim sum places which also served these wonderful treasures. After all this, I decided it was finally time to try "the best".

Results? Well, I hate to say it but I think Mama Lu's has just as good XLB as Din Tai Fung, and it's cheaper. We also had the Shumai and taro dumplings, both very good dishes. But the star of the meal for me had to be the spicy dumplings. These were better than Mama Lu's for sure, and alone are worth a possible return visit. However, I'm not sure if the quality and consistency deserves: A. Such a high price tag, and B. The crazy lines and waiting I've heard so much about. Somehow we were very lucky and no one was waiting at 6:30 on a Thursday evening, but I got to tell you, I don't know if I would've waited 45 minutes for this. But maybe that's just me.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

No matter what people say ..i actually really enjoy dining at dtf (backside next to the bank)

Clean and efficient ..not to mention Courteous ! (surprised, being that Chinese people arn't the most polite people in the world! There is only one time where i experienced them forgetting our food and brought it out when we were pretty much full from our meal...a star lost DTF =T

Aside from that, they are generally pretty good about getting the orders out in time.

must order dishes for me are:

Cucumber dish -nice and refreshing!
    Veggie dumplings- HAPPY that they have this options (love the soysauce, vinegar and ginger!)
    and a plate of spinach! - yum yum in my tum tum!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
  • Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

The best soup dumplings in Los Angeles. I don't really want to try the one in Glendale the best soup dumpling will always be at the Arcadia location.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

Worth the wait? Yup. At least once! The people at DTF have their dumplings down to a science. As they make their dumplings by hand, they actually weigh each one individually to make sure they are uniform. There is a reason this chain has succeeded all over the world. The XLB is a must over, but don't limit yourself to just those. The spicy pork dumplings are delicious and the dessert dumplings are a fun, atypical way to end your meal on a sweet note.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

DTF is amazingggg..... in Taiwan.

As there are enough reviews here I'll keep it simple.
    XLBs have the thin skins that make DTF so great. However, it lacked the juices and flavors that make it really pop. Doesn't make it bad, but doesn't make it amazing either.

Compound that with some of the worst service I've experienced and DTF just lost another star. Taiwan's DTF prides themselves in their amazing service. At one point one of my friends was taking our own dishes away because our waiters were slacking. When I get my dessert, the old dishes should be cleared! If we were in Taiwan, they'd all have been fired by now.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

In love with their juicy pork dumplings and Shanghai ricecakes. The juicy pork never let me down, and have always been soupy in the middle. Umami flavors burst out of each dumpling into my mouth.

Be prepared to wait at least 1 hour for a table on weekends. Fill out the order form prior to seating to expedite food service. Great for families and groups.

Recommended for:FoodiesFamily TravelersLocal CultureBusiness Travelers
  • Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

There's an exquisite method to eating these dumplings here. It's like eating fancy sushi, except it's fancy dumplings.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

This is the busiest and most popular Dumpling House in California. There is always a line!

[PARKING] - Parking here can be challenging almost all the time. Park near the east west bank where you more than likely have a better shot finding a spot than you would in the 1108 location.

[DÉCOR] - Modern looking interior but nothing really stands out; they have wood tables and chairs.

[SERVICE] - Despite the fact that this is c an upscale Chinese restaurant service was very slow and I had to raise my hand several times to ask for a menu and refill my tea.

[FOOD] - We ordered 4 dishes total which took a long time to come out especially the rice cake.

Juice Pork Dumpling ($7.75) - One of the best pork dumplings I've tasted, but there was a piece there that was clearly dry and out of shape.

Shrimp & Pork Shao Mai ($9.50) - Sounded and looked like the Cantonese version of Shumai, but looks better, however the quality isn't as good especially when compared to high end Dim Sum places like King Hua or Sea Harbour. The shrimp was just at the top of the pork and wasn't mixed together like Shumai.

Pork Fried Rice ($6.50) - Small portion, but the fried rice was not bad at all and tasted similar to Newport Fried Rice, but their portion is like twice as big for the same price as lunch.

Rice Cake with Shrimp ($9.00) - Tiny portion just like the fried rice but the quality wasn't that good; the rice cake is disappointing due to lack of flavor.

Bottom line is this is a place to go if you want the best pork dumpling in town, you will pay more and expect a long wait, but for any other dish it is simply not worth it and overpriced for the quality and quantity. Service definitely needs to improve.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

It is true. Din Tai Fung's Xiao Long Bao might be the very best you could get in US. It is just as good as those I had in their Asia branch. These XLBs are very delicate. Skin is thin but holds up the broth very well. The pork meat filling is finely chopped and well seasoned. Everything from the size to taste differs greatly from Joe's Shanghai's in NYC (which I also love).

Their regular pork XLB is the best. You will like them a lot if you prefer the lighter and more refined type of dumplings. But for the crab and pork version, Joe's Shanghai won by a mile. The crab ones at Din Tai Fung is just no where as rich as Joe's version. In fact, the crab filling distracted the pork flavor and made it even more mellow than the regular ones.

The menu is very simple compare to their Asia counterparts. A lot of the Taiwanese appetizer and small plates were not offered. Besides XLBs, their other kinds of dumplings are also excellent. Love their fish dumplings and spicy wontons. House chicken soup is decent too. Hot and sour soup should be skipped. It is neither hot nor sour enough.

Service is very efficient here. There is always a line but table turnaround is quick. Expect somewhere between 30mins to 45mins wait.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodies
  • Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

After reviewing the Din Tai Fung branch in Taipei, I felt it was only fair to review the stateside one as well....and this one definitely lives up to its Taiwan counterpart. I had the pork soup dumplings (a must), the spicy peanut noodles, broccoli in garlic sauce, and a red bean bun for dessert (again, a must). While everything was delicious, I have to admit that the portions are a bit smaller than the one in Taipei. One tray of dumplings is definitely not enough for two people, so load up!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
  • Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

So I finally went and ate at the 2 story side today. All I can say is that I truly love the pork dumplings and the pork&shrimp dumplings... The garlic green beans are awesome.

I dont know if you have been here but this is my favorite dumpling house around. The other side was as tasty as the first. I got the above usual dishes and this time also ordered the garlic spinach as well. I was a bit disappointed by the spinach as it wasnt very garlicky, and was in fact a bit watery.

Parking was perfect as I easily got a spot right in front. Service was simply fantastic. They brought what we requested in a timely manner without any questions and at a rate that we could have it on the table while we ate and were hanging out.

They brought us water at the start in a carafe and plastic lidded cups for the kids with fun super twisty straws! We also had a bit of tea that they refilled as needed.

I really like this place a lot. But I havent had a lot of stuff from their menu. But what I normally get is always very tasty!

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

Normally, this place is always on my raving foodie list. However, I felt that Seattle's location and Shanghai's were far better. I did try the OLD DTF. Not the new DTF. My recommended selections:
    Shrimp & Pork Shao Mai
    Juicy Pork Dumplings
    Sweet Taro Dumplings
    Red Bean Dumplings
    Shanghai Rice Cake w/ Chicken or Pork or Shrimp
    Sautéed String Bean w/ Garlic

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

Such a long wait... Waiting at Din Tai Fung made Disneyland and black friday look like a breeze... It took us 1 hour 45 minutes before our food arrived...

Pretty much after that long wait, I wanted to find every reason to hate on Din Tai Fung and to give it a bad review. First off, they give you the menu so that you can order as soon as you get seated. Additionally, they will text you when your table is ready. The decor is similar to other chinese restaurants, minus the glass display in the front of cute dumpling figurines. Now onto the food:

Xiao Lao Bang- Juicy pork. Apparently, I didn't know that there was a proper way to eat it by poking a hole in it and drinking the sauce. I've been popping these things into my mouth each time and burning my tongue in the past. It goes amazing with the vinegar and spicy oil. My buddy and I each had 10 each.

Stir fried beef noodle- Either this was really good or I was just really hungry. It is kind of oily and the proportions weren't huge. However, it was pretty good to me.

Green beans w/ garlic- I think slathering on garlic and oil defeats the whole purpose of the greens. However, I love garlic so I loved this plate.

Overall, our total came out to $32 for 2 people. Each plate is around $8 or less, so the prices are pretty decent. Trust me, I really wanted to hate this place but the food is actually really good. Is the wait worth it? I would say so. :).

I recommend you bring a portable dvd player with some long movie... like Benjamin Button (who has time to watch that movie) or Monopoly...

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

Legendary dumpling house in Arcadia. Super long lines so come in as early as you possibly can. Go for dumpling soup, pork or beef dumplings or something more creative, like the one with green melon.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

Two (two restaurants next to each other, kind of confusing!) of only three locations in America (the other being Seattle) of the legendary DinTai Fung chain. Great xiao long bao (soup dumplings) and pork fried rice!

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling HousePro 2014

Yummy yummy yummy! Whenever I need a dose of xiao long bao, I come here. I have never eaten XLB so delicately and perfectly wrapped - the texture makes the experience of eating so much better. Plus, they pay attention to tons of little details in everything they make - it's all evenly diced, thinly sliced, and beautifully cooked.

Their regular dumplings are wonderful too, and I looove the thin slices of veggies in their hot & sour soup. I could finish the entire bowl (meant to feed about 4-6). There's pretty much always a line and wait times can get pretty long, so make sure you arrive well ahead of your anticipated eat time. They now have this great text message system so you can wander around while waiting.

Be sure to try both sides! The one facing the parking lot is Chinese style, with a big room filled with round tables. Lots of hustle and bustle there. The one on the backside by the bank (closer to the bowling alley) is Western style, with sleeker decor, a long dining area (and some bonus room upstairs), and a more peaceful atmosphere.

• Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

Oh this is dumpling heaven! If you've never tried xiao long bao, this is the place! The first US outpost for the Taiwanese chain, there are actually two restaurants right next to each other. Try the xiao long bao (juicy dumpling), the pork shao mai with shrimp, and the pork chop with fried rice. So good!!!

Part of a small group of dumpling houses, including one in Taipei, Din Tai Fung is known for its delicate, delicious dumplings.

6,134 people visited Din Tai Fung Dumpling House