- Jurong Bird Park2 Jurong Hill, Singapore 628925 Singaporerecommended Jurong Bird ParkFeeding the lories was an unforgettable experience. Great aviary! A must see!
- Universal Studios Singapore11 Sentosa East Mall, Singapore 099054 Singaporerecommended Universal Studios SingaporeDon't ever miss these rides/attractions: Transformers, Battlestar Galactica Cylon, Revenge of the Mummy, Lights Camera Action! Had an awesome time!!!
- Tiffin Room (Raffles Hotel)1 Beach Road, Singapore 189673 Singaporerecommended Tiffin Room (Raffles Hotel)A wide selection of great Indian food. The food, service and atmosphere are all spectacular. Absolutely touristy but very good. Try to arrive before the JTB bus arrives. I hate buffets and I hate ... read moretourists traps but I consistently love this place. Used to be a 5 star for me but service was poor on my last visit -- which shouldn't happen at these prices for Indian in Singapore.
- True Blue Cuisine49 Armenian St., Singapore 179937 Singaporerecommended True Blue CuisineMy favorite Peranakan place in Singapore. Gorgeous setting and exceptional food. Service is quick and attentive. The food is hawker center quality (which isn't an insult) but the setting is a ... read morewonderfully restored colonial home. True Blue should definitely be on your short list. Ask the staff for recommendations. Portions are generous. The stir friend sweet potato leaves were excellent.
- The Blue Ginger Restaurant97 Tanjong Pagar Road, Singaporerecommended The Blue Ginger RestaurantGreat Peranakan in a traditional shop house. Rendang is exceptional. I prefer True Blue but this is a great runner up.
- No Signboard Seafood Restaurant - The Esplanade8 Raffles Ave., Singapore 039802 Singaporerecommended No Signboard Seafood Restaurant - The EsplanadeThis is my favorite riverside seafood spot in Singapore. It is a little too refined to deliver on a truly local experience but the white pepper crab here is incredible. Nice location at the Esplanade. ... read moreGood people watching and an easy walk from the Merlion.
- Samy's Curry Restaurant25 Dempsey Road, Singapore 249670 Singaporerecommended Samy's Curry RestaurantExceptional no frills Indian. Samy's serves delicious curries directly from a wooden bowl to the leaf on your plate. Cutlery is the exception. Plan to get your hands dirty and have a fantastic meal. ... read more
- Marina BayMarina Bay, Singapore 049323 Singaporerecommended Marina BayGranted, plutonomy is disgusting. A place like Marina Bay and its ultraluxury hotel and casino, the Sands, is by its nature a little repellent -- a playground for the ultra-rich. That said, the ... read morearchitecture of this waterfront corner of Singapore is astonishing, and a photographer's dream, with the Sands towers, the helix bridge, and the sharp glass highrises across the harbor creating a truly beautiful skyscape, particularly at sunset. It's a wonderful place for a stroll, and though the $20 pricetag to visit the Skypark atop the towers is a significant deterrent, the Marina is still completely worthy of a couple hours' exploration.Matthew Crompton
Come here for a drink and some photography at sunset. Check out my passport for more ideas. Good luck! =)
- Southern Ridges WalkAlexandra Rd, Singaporerecommended Southern Ridges WalkDone with temples, hawker centers, and the concrete jungle? For something completely different in Singapore, head to the island's southern edge and walk the spectacular set of interconnected national ... read moreparks, savoring the greenery and wonderful views along the way. Completing the walk from the island's west, across the elevated Canopy Walk sections soaring on walkways at treetop level, thru the Horticultural Park, across the gorgeous Henderson Waves bridge and on to the cable car station on Mt. Faber (with a fantastic panorama), should take about 3 hours, and practically begs that you bring a camera. Highly recommended.Matthew Crompton
Amazing nature in the midst of Singapore's concrete jungle.
- Betel Box 'Food Walk' Tour200 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427471recommended Betel Box 'Food Walk' TourWere I able to, I would give these food tours given by Tony, owner of Katong-district's Betel Box hostel, eleven stars. Lasting for nearly six hours and involving 25+ dishes from Chinese, Indian, and ... read moreMalay culinary traditions, this tour of the eateries along Joo Chiat road (way more authentic than Chinatown) is nothing short of fantastic. And while it's a superb introduction to Singapore's food scene, it also gives deeper insight into the culture as a whole -- from working to housing to religion -- and should be considered a 'must-do' while you're in the city.Matthew Crompton
If timing works, this is one of my favorite things in Singapore.
- Cafe Le Caire39 Arab St., Singapore 199736 Singaporerecommended Cafe Le CaireAfter a second visit to Cafe Le Caire on a recent trip thru the Singpore, I've come to rate the place more highly. Popular with locals and tourists alike, the Middle-Eastern food at this Kampong Glam ... read moreinstitution is outstanding, from creamy hummus with ground lamb and warm Arabic bread to fresh fatoush salads to perfectly seasoned shwarma. With excellent Turkish coffee and mint tea, Le Caire combines superb and authentic cuisine with fine atmosphere for one of Singapore's most satisfying dining experiences.Matthew Crompton
Amazing Middle-Eastern food here on Arab Street.
- Newton Hawker CenterNewton Circus, Singaporerecommended Newton Hawker CenterA dollar or two more expensive than most of the city's hawker centers, the Newton Food Center is genuinely a cut above. Tourists have discovered the place, but ii's not overrun, and it's popular with ... read morelocals and expats alike. For a personal favourite, try the barbequed stingray and black pepper beef from Newton Lucky Seafood here.Matthew Crompton
Likewise, visiting a hawker centre is a key part of the Singapore experience. This one is better than most, and visitor-friendly.
- 328 Katong Laksa53 East Coast Road, Singapore 428771 Singaporerecommended 328 Katong LaksaCurry laksa has been called the national dish of Singapore, and this institution off Joo Chiat Rd. does it as well as anyone. Dirt cheap, a large bowl of this coconut-and-prawn-paste base noodle soup, ... read morefull of prawns and mussels, will set you back only $6 SGD. Singapore is a serious food city, and if you're curious about its signature dish, this is the place to try it.Matthew Crompton
Eating laksa, the national dish, is a must. This is a great place for it.
- Central Market @ BasementCentral, 6 Eu Tong Sen Street
- Singapore Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour5 Temasek Boulevard, Singapore 038985
- Kampong GlamKampong Glam, Singapore 199581 Singapore
- Haw Par Villa262 Pasir Panjang Road, Singapore
- Fort Siloso Siloso Road, Singapore 09 Singapore
- Tanjong PagarSingapore
- National Museum of Singapore93 Stamford Road, Singapore 178897 Singapore
- Haji LaneHaji Lane, Singapore 189250 Singapore
- National Orchid Garden1 Cluny Road, Singapore 25 Singapore
- Singapore Botanic Gardens1 Cluny Road, Singapore 259569 Singapore
- Joo Chiat RoadNear Katong, Singapore 42 Singapore