Dominique Ansel Bakery

189 Spring Street, New York, NY 10012, United States

Jelena Budjevac
    5 Jun 17, 2014

Stroll through SoHo to arrive at the Mecca of cronuts. This French bakery serves up the best ham and cheese croissant this side of the Atlantic. Freshly squeezed orange juice, aromatic, thick espresso wash down any delicious concoction of pastry.

Dying to try the latest pastry mutant, the cronut? Expect to line up an hour before the shop opens and stand for a couple hours (yes, hours) and shell out $5.44...

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersLocal CultureTrendsters
    Ed Lee
    5 Jun 17, 2014

I go nuts for Cronuts!

I decided to check out Dominique Ansel's legendary Cronuts and they did not disappoint! I got there promptly at 7 am to find the line just at the corner of Sullivan. Not bad. The forecast called for rain, but the weather held. Another good sign. While the line was long, this was a civilized crowd that understood, "no cuts, no buts, no coconuts!"

Once the bakery opened promptly at 8 am the line moved quickly in waves. After the third wave, I made it to the door to find Dominique Ansel personally greeting each of us and even allowing a few eager foodies photographs with him. A fantastic sign.

Inside, the decor is warm and welcoming. I can see myself coming here over the weekend to enjoy a light breakfast with a friend. I was dying to try the "Perfect Egg Sandwich" based on Ruggy's suggestion, but I was on the go! Eye on the prize, Cronuts!

When I finally got my cronuts and rubbed the fact into people's faces as I walked out I ran home to taste my prize! This month features a lemon filled delight that is both crunchy and light. A mindblowing texture! I can still smell the lemony filling on my fingers. I only wish they didn't have a two cronuts limit, otherwise I might have shared one with a friend (are you kidding, they're all mine!)

So if you have a free morning or you have friends from out of town, I recommend coming to the Dominique Ansel Bakery, not just for the Cronuts, but for all of their delicious offerings!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
    Ruby Hong-Ngoc
    5 May 30, 2014

wanted the full experience so tried the cronuts, cookie shots, and a frozen s'more. We waited in line for the cronuts starting at 630am and we were near the front of the line. Cookie shots go on sale at 3pm daily, we were first in line and got there around 1:30/2pm. Get ready to wait for these beauties ! The cookie shots were amazing, however break very easily if you do not pour the milk and eat the cookie quickly. This place is a MUST DO at NYC !

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendstersBusiness Travelers
    Lucy Swift Weber Youdovin
    5 Jan 30, 2014

Famous for their cronuts, this bakery has lots of other great treats on their menu and their breakfast is delicious.

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
    Brittany Lovell
    5 Jan 28, 2014

Just in case you miss the cornets (which i did sadly) everything, i repeat everything else you might try here is amazing! I went during the summer when the hottest item to get was the frozen smore. It was amazing to eat with an iced coffee, you won't regret going here

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Fran V.
    4 Oct 30, 2013

Cronuts were first introduced in May 2013 by this bakery and word of mouth quickly spread about this new pastry. I've been told by friends and locals of NY that if I wanted to try the original cronut, I would have to get in line at the bakery as early as 6am to guarantee one. I took their advice and got here at 6am on a Tuesday morning. When I got there the line was about 20 people deep. The bakery doesn't open until 8am so I waited it out for 2 hours. About an hour before they opened, a worker came out to explain how they would be distributing the cronuts and how
    many you could buy. For the day of purchase cronuts, they allowed a max of 2 per person. You could pre-order, but you have to do it in advance. You can read on how to pre-order on their website. This month's flavor is Fig Mascarpone. They only make one flavor for each month. After the worker gave the announcement, another worker came by to give
    out freshly baked samples of madeleines. It was so nice, warm, and fluffy! Soon enough, 8am came around and I was able to get my cronuts in about 15 mins. If you love pastries, this is a must visit bakery for you. They also have other popular pastries such as the DKA. But some of the other items on their menu does change when the season changes.

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
  • Dominique Ansel BakeryAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    5 Oct 13, 2013

I wanted to come just for the cronut because trying a knock-off left me wanting to try the real deal. Luckily, the weather was a bit gloomy, so the line was short. We got inside in 45 minutes! If you don't want a cronut, you can just go inside and get your pastries/drinks.

I loved the garden in the back. Part of it is covered when there's bad weather; the other half is open. Plenty of seating :)

Sourivone Viraphanth
    5 Mar 21, 2013

It's worth it, even though, it is PRICY!

#1 Almond Croissant

DKA is great too!

Monster size Macaroons

I love this bakery and I'm so lucky to have it only a few blocks. I pass by it everyday to work so I can get some goodies for breakfast.

EVERYTHING IS GOOD! YOU CAN'T PASS THIS PLACE UP. ONE OF THE BEST DESSERT PLACE IN NYC.

Reiko