Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn

1915 Republica de Cuba, Tampa, FL 33605

• Don Vicente de Ybor Historic InnPro 2014
    Sara Benson
    4 Oct 18, 2013

If you don't mind not being anywhere near the beach in Tampa, this historic inn is tucked away in Ybor City, a historic cigar-making neighborhood turned into a arts & nightlife center. It looks like a wedding-cake white Spanish colonial confection from the outside. Inside, it's all four-poster sleigh beds and down comforters. More like a B&B than a hotel, actually.

Recommended for:History Buffs
    Tom Bronson
    1 Dec 24, 2013

A former fan of the hotel, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of your management. I was scheduled to stay with you last Friday evening as a part of an event. When I booked, I asked specifically for room 305. I was told, "No problem." When I called back to confirm a couple of weeks ago (after being on the phone for 20 minutes because my reservation was lost), I was once again told, "No problem." I only live 20 minutes away, so I didn't have to stay the night in the hotel. I was curious about room 305 and often talk about it when giving ghost tours of Ybor.

So, when I was checking in last Friday and was handed the keys to 307...well, you can imagine my disappointment. I was told that people had to be moved to 305 because their AC went out and they needed a double queen room. I would almost buy this excuse except 307 (the room that I was being given) is also a double queen. So, the front desk clerk flat out lied to me.

Then, I got to spend an hour on the phone with Damon and listen to him lie to me over and over about how they don't promise specific rooms, even though I not only was promised a specific room by two different clerks but I was even on a conference call with one of the clerks and the host of the event when I was made that promise the second time. He also retold the "double queen" lie and even tried to convince me that my room being given to somebody else was somehow equivalent to my room not being habitable because of damage or the ac being out.

After about an hour, Damon finally agreed to make things right and comp me a night stay in 305 for a future date. I was perfectly okay with that arrangement as long as I could get out of staying that evening. I had no reason to spend the money except for the curiosity of staying in 305. The family of the host was not okay with the arrangement and argued on my behalf, but I asked them not to. They insisted on me getting comped last Friday as well as getting 305 for a future stay. I said it wasn't a big deal but they felt it was. All I did ask for was a place to get ready since I had come expecting a room to shower, iron my and my son's clothes, and get ready for the event. The girl at the front desk offered me a room to get ready in, since it wasn't going to be used. Having worked in the hotel industry for a few years, I knew this to be policy in situations where a customer was inconvenienced. So, I got to iron my shirt, shower and get ready (quickly, now...since I had spent well over an hour dealing with this issue) before the event. In exchange for all of this inconvenience, I was being treated to a night stay in room 305, as promised. I still felt like I was getting the short end of the stick (as did the family), but I was fine with it.

Then, today, I get a call from Damon saying that he was reneging his offer for the comp stay since he "no longer felt it was merited." In other words, since he managed to convince the family and friends of the host as well as everyone standing in the lobby that he was concerned with customer service and at least resembled an upstanding human being, that was good enough. He didn't need to follow through with his promise of quality customer service since I was no longer posing an immediate threat to his credibility.

Suffice to say I am extremely disappointed in every aspect of your establishment. From lost reservations, to runarounds, to lies, and finally to reneging promises, it has just been one huge disappointment. The number of people that I have sent to your establishment through word of mouth and through ghost tours will now be told the truth. I can only hope that none of the people that I've sent to you over the years had to deal with who you really are.

Jason Kushner
    5 Aug 19, 2012

All travelers, history lovers and ghost hunters, take heed. The Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn is a must-see for anyone traveling through Tampa. Built by city founder Vicente Martinez-Ybor in 1895, this supposedly haunted construction looks more like an ornate Cuban castle complete with vaulted ceilings, velvet curtains and intricate iron balconies. These days, providing young lovers with their perfect romantic wedding backdrop has become the Don Vicente’s main focus. But, they still offer sixteen exquisite guest rooms, including two grand suites, in addition to a quiet patio, a piazza and other meeting rooms/event space. The real treat here is that every room is different – each offering different chandelier lighting fixtures and antique furniture items. Sure, the building still looks a little weathered and the television sets and telephones are dated, but it fits the particular mood, the cobblestone charm and the overall panorama of old Ybor. There’s no longer a restaurant at Don Vicente, but not to worry. Try a craft beer at the New World Brewery before supper and then pick from any number of colorful eateries along 7th and 8th Avenue…well within walking distance.

Recommended for:History Buffs
    Kristin Kushner
    5 Aug 19, 2012

The Don Vicente de Ybor Historic Inn is hands down one of the most unique hotel experiences you can have in the Tampa area. Located in the historic Ybor City district, the building was constructed in 1895 by Ybor City founder, Vincente Martinez-Ybor and was originally used as a health care clinic. Though it has undergone $2 million in renovations since, some say that the hotel is haunted with ghosts of the past. It was even featured on the Travel Channel series, “The Dead Files.” Rest assured. If ghosts aren’t your thing, enjoy being transported back in time with the antique decor of chandeliers, Tiffany lamps, Persian rugs, wooden floors and vaulted ceilings. Each room at the Don Vicente is unique, down to the four-post bed.

Aloha K
    5 Mar 24, 2012
Showing Lowest Prices

Excellent! - 86% of guests recommend

• Free Parking

Excellent!162 reviews across the web.

100% enjoyed the restaurants & bars nearby.
    • Service
      97% found the staff to be very friendly.
    • Ambiance
      81% enjoyed the friendly atmosphere.
    • Room
      Beds were acceptable for 69%.
    • Hotel Building