Trip Plan Details
recommended GandriaSmall village outside Lugano accessible by ferry, car or the walking trail down from Mt Bre.Recommended for:D'Maris Coffman
The trail from Lugano to the top of Mt Bre, the saddle village of Bre, and then Gandria is great for dogs if you decide to venture over the border.
recommended ComoComo and the Lago di Como (Como Lake) are really one of Italy's loveliest spots. If you can go in summer, do, and spend a few days swimming and chilling in this lovely lake nestled into the mountains. ... read moreRecommended for:Outdoor EnthusiastsJulia P
Enjoy a day hanging out on the lake - you can base yourself in numerous towns, I like Como or Lecco marginally more than Bellaggio, which is more known in a way but also a little more touristy.
recommended Chalet GabrieleChalet Gabriele was shown to me by a Milanese ex-boyfriend on our way back from hiking the Alps. I've wended my way through the mountains on my own to savor the polenta taragna again. Chalet Gabriele ... read moreis a polentoteca-which means the corn-based Northern Italian specialty is their forte. Get it with mushrooms, deer, or "unta" --basically, heaped with butter and cheese. They also have an unusual selection of cured meat and a pretty amazing view.Julia P
Drive up to this place for some polenta. In general, it shouldn't be that tough to travel in the region with a dog - lots of activities are outdoors - great hiking, etc.
- La RoccaPiazzale Brigata Legnano, Bergamo 24122, Italy
- Bellagio Water TaxisPiazza Mazzini, Bellagio 22021, Italy
- Riva del Garda TrentinoRiva del Garda Trentino, Italy
- Lido di BellagioLungo Lario Marconi, Bellagio 22021, Italy
- Isola MadreIsola Madre, Stresa, Italy
- Basilica di Santa Maria MaggiorePiazza del Duomo. Bergamo 24122, Italy
- Isola BellaVia Lungo Lago Vittorio Emanuele, Stresa, Italy
- Isla Bella35–61 Corso Umberto I, Stresa, Italy
- Città AltaBergamo, Italy
- Torre del CampanonePiazza Vecchia, Bergamo 24122, Italy
- Villa MelziLungolario Manzoni, Bellagio 22021, Italy
- Isole BorromeeLago Maggiore, Stresa, Italy
- Piazza VecchiaCitta Alta
- Lake MaggioreCasali Carmine Inferiore, Cannobio, Italy
- Bergamo AltaBergamo, Italy
recommended Santa Caterina ValfurvaGreat mountain town on the way to the glacier in the Valle dei Forni. Somewhat spoilt by construction but still wonderful.Recommended for:
recommended Santa Maria Val MustairWonderful UNESCO heritage site of an ancient monastery/convent founded under Charlemagne. Come learn the history, archaeology and the everyday lives of the nuns, who are still living there. They have ... read moreItalian and German (Swiss German) guides and presumably also Romansch but no English or French.Recommended for:
recommended Val MustairRomansch valley in Switzerland with an ageing monastery and a lot of walking trails. Wonderful slice of rural Switzerland which is linguistically and culturally a fascinating micro-culture even today. ... read more
recommended LuganoOne of the great Swiss resort towns and home to one of the largest banking centres in Switzerland. Beautiful lake and lots of options for Ticinese dining and entertainment. In the summer, lots of ... read moremusic festivals too.D'Maris Coffman
If you want to go further afield, Lugano is worth a look.
- Hotel Capitanivia Milano, 23, 23032 Bormio, Italyrecommended Hotel CapitaniFlagship of the Capitani group in Bormio. They also have a hotel with a great restaurant at Stelvio pass.Recommended for:
- Baita de Mariolocalita Ciuk, 23032 Bormio, Italyrecommended Baita de MarioFabulous restaurant and hotel at the mountain base of a popular ski resort. Try the pizzoccheri which is a local delicacy and particularly good here!Recommended for:
recommended BergamoOld Bergamo is an amazing walled medieval on a hill outside Milan. Easily reached by bus. Venetian with a fascinating history. You don't have to travel Ryanair to find a reason to go!
- Hotel Passo StelvioStelvio Passrecommended Hotel Passo StelvioPart of the Capitani hotels group. On the South Tyrol side. Excellent restaurant with great views.Recommended for:
- Bagni VecchiStrada Statale dello Stelvio, Bormio, Italyrecommended Bagni VecchiWonderful day spa and hotel with Roman baths, mud baths, a thermal grotto and a lot of different spa treatments. Also a good restaurant and cafe with free internet. Luxurious but very down-to-earth ... read morewith day rates. Enjoy!Recommended for:
- Stelvio Pass Bormiorecommended Stelvio PassBeautiful pass where you can just about yet still ski in July. Wonderful views of stunning countryside on Swiss-Italian border.Recommended for:
recommended BormioBeautiful commune in the province of Sondrio in Lombardy. Great all year around but especially famous for skiing and the baths.Recommended for: