Equator Cafe

22 Mills Pl, Pasadena, California 91105 USA

Natalie K
    5 Jul 23, 2014

Being a drunk that I am, I made sure to get my money's worth of the bottomless mimosas during brunch at Equator. For only $10, you can choose from lychee, apple, or orange mimosas and there are several "premium" flavors you can select from for $5 additional. Once you pick your flavor though, you are committed to it because they won't let you change it around.

I got the lychee and it was delicious. The apple and the orange was not very good at all. I saw other people drinking different premium flavors and they look pretty good, especially the blue one.

They have a regular menu, which consists of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and a few American dishes. During brunch though, they have dim sum for $3 each. I liked the baked bbq pork buns and the shrimp shu mai. I didn't care for the other items much but the flavors were definitely authentic. They make each one to order so it does take some time to come out.

Our waitress was so nice and patient. We were there for a long time and she didn't rush us. She was on top of bringing us everything we need and kept checking up on us. In fact, she kept the mimosas flowing to the point where we had to ask her to give us a little break because we couldn't drink it fast enough.

The restaurant itself is hidden in the alleyway where Jake's and Three Dog Bakery is in Old Town. They do have a few outside seating. I would recommend parking at the structure on Green and Fair Oaks. It's 90 minutes free only though.

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife Lovers
    Hanae
    4 Jul 21, 2014

It looks like they have some sort of special everyday. Great place to start off a Sunday Funday. The place is located in a non-busy street/alley across a pizza shop.

Our friend reserved the lounge couch in the corner for our bottomless $10mimosa outing. The mimosas kept on flowing and we could choose three flavors which are apple (don't get it), lychee (best one) or the orange. There are other flavors if you pay an additional $4 (?), such as the pineapple or the blue one (fruit punch?).

Food special for Sunday are $3dim sum. All the dishes we ordered were delicious. I really enjoyed the shrimp and pork shu mai.

The ambience is really relaxing and casual. I'm in Love with the wall covered in chalk art with clever drunk quotes.

Service was great, she kept our bottles of mimosas filled and checked on us constantly.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLocal Culture
    Richard
    4 Jul 16, 2014

When my friend told me that there's a dim sun brunch in old town, I didn't believe them at first. The restaurant décor felt like a gastropod, how the hell they serve dim sum here?

When I look at their menu, omg there's actually a dim sum in the menu. Only during the weekend in brunch hour from 11am to 4pm. Almost 20 different dim sum, it got most of the popular one here, it doesn't had the more hardcore one like chicken fee tor tripes.. The price is very reasonable about $3 each. The dim sum is not cart style but make it order. It take a while to come, quality is not bad. As some who eat almost 30 different dim sum restaurant in L.A. the quality is average compare to other, I do miss some of the most exotic dim sum that I find in that place. However I can't think of a better place to take your friend especially those who never eaten dim sum than come here.

Very cozy décor, a lot of sofa seating with pillow. I never eat dim sum in a environment like this, shanghai #1 was little like this but service was much worst. This one felt relax and really make a great brunch, this is great alternate than you usual brunch. Also you can get your cocktail while eating dim sum too.
    I think they should extend the dim sum to night time as well, it would be awesome !

Queenie Ito
    5 Jul 13, 2014

Sunday funday with the crew. $10 bottomless lychee mimosas. $3 dim sum. Robert supplying the entertainment. best Sunday ever boo.

Recommended for:FoodiesStudentsLocal Culture
    Jennifer H
    3 Feb 04, 2014

Thirsty anyone? I feel like I would recommend people to come here for their everyday happy hour. Everyday they have a special. It's pretty dimmed and romantic at night time. Also, Equator provides weekend brunch. Boyfriend and I experienced it and they had lychee mimosas, peach, and regular. I preferred the lychee more than all.

There's a big parking garage on Green st or on Union/fairoaks. 90 mins free and additional cost after.

Traci
    4 Feb 22, 2013

This is one of my favorite places in Old Town because it's one of the few places you can truly just relax and hang out. Sometimes they have live music performances, the coffee is great, and you might even catch a tv show or movie being filmed on occasion here.

Bridget Purviance
    5 Jan 08, 2013

Equator is one of the few places that understands that people don't want to stop being happy after 7, and that's why on Thursdays, you can be as happy as you want to be all day and all night. Thursday is Happy Day, not just happy hour.

All martinis (that's right, ALL, not this "this one is discounted, the rest are full price" bullshit) are $3. Beer, wine, and food is cheap too. My happy friend and I ordered 3 rounds each. Chris is a true master of making incredibly delicious drinks that also happen to be strong. My favorite martinis were the raspberry by far, then the pomegranate, and also the oh-so-boozy lychee (but this one may cause some memory loss).

What made this place 5-star-worthy to me was Chris the bartender. He checked up on us often, chatted with us, made recommendations, and poured the excess from each shaker into smaller glasses so that we could sample each others' drinks.

The bar has a very cool, unique, artsy atmosphere. It's in the same alley as Jake's and a lot of other great bars to walk to.

I'd love to come back and try the food or champagne brunch sometime. I was so happy when I left here that I somehow managed to break and lose both (not one, but both) my flip-flops on the walk home, without knowing how or when. These happy days are yours and mine; haaaapy days!

JR Cajigas
    4 Sep 24, 2012

This place is still a 4 star from my recent trip last night with a group of about 10 Elites. I said I would try the Happy Hour Food and I did this time around. It's $3 for any of the 4 HH items on the menu. It was pretty depressing when we received them though. It was about less than 3 dollars worth of food that arrived on our plate. The only marginally OK deal was for the Gyoza but it was still only 4 pieces.

Now that the neg is out of the way, let me tell you how awesome our Bartender Christopher was. Super customer oriented, friendly attitude. He was the lone guy at the bar the whole night, but was able to keep up with everyone's drinks. That's one super bartender you got there. He even remembered my name throughout the whole night...did not call me "RJ" once!

We had a fairly large group, so when the back couch area cleared up, our group migrated that way. Still the seating wasn't enough. The owner of the Equator, Teddy, came by and offered to bring us chairs from the back so that everyone could have a place to sit. He continued to come by and made sure we were taken care of. Before he left for the night, he also made sure to say bye. Cool guy, cool owner!

Jackson Yang
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Thirsty Thursdays with the crew(Laura S, Ellerton W, James S,).
    Awesome happy hour promo with the $3 martini, well drinks, and beer

Martinis are pretty legit, chilled glass, shaken and not stirred, full shot of vodka. Most of them are pinky drinks. But they are delicious.

If you are one of those person who prefer a more "manly" drink, all the bottle beers are $3, except for guinness. As for well drinks, they got vodka, rum, and gin on deck. Its a really chill place to get drunk on thursday nights.

Tried their lumpia, it was $3 for 3 pc. And this was their HH special. I'd be afraid to see the non special price. The taste was ok, pretty sure its the ones you get at Costco. Plus you cant go wrong with deep fried(well you can, but its quite hard). Saw the portion to price ratio here for the food while servers passed by with plates....I don't think I will be spending any money on food here.

All in all, chill place to kick it on Thursday nights

Laura S
    3 Jul 05, 2012

I always thought this place was called Ecuador. :P The More You Know!

Thirsty Thursdays! $3 Wells and beers!

We came here after Happy Hour at Pop Champagne and they had this awesome deal... $3?!?!

PROS:
    * Pretty cool Asian ambiance.
    * DJ
    * Happy Hour prices

CONS:
    * One bathroom for the ladies - I must admit... pretty tho.
    * Lychee Martini was TOO sweet... I felt like I became diabetic.

Eh... it's the ambiance that sells me. The beers and wells are alright... but it's good for the deal!

340 people visited Equator Cafe

Have a relaxing latte, a quick lunch, a night out with friends, or a date night -- Equato's chefs prepare lunch and dinner menus for all tastes and appetites. Happy hour specials run from sunset until the doors close. But that's not all! Half price appetizers and drinks on Mondays, $1 martinis on Tuesdays, half price wine and sake on Wednesdays, $3 mixed drinks, beer, martinis, and appetizers on ... read more
Thursdays, and bottomless mimosas with brunch from 11am to 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

The Westin Pasadena