Philippines

Sep 01, 2011 - Sep 30, 2011

List editor:

Questions

Seeking a possible trip to Philippines later in the year around August/September.
My style of travel is to avoid large cities and be around locals. If I am in a city I want to be around culture or what every day people do, and avoid tourist areas/things to do.
Looking for places and suggestions of places to go and visit and try.
Also looking for anyone who wouldn't mind being a friend on the trip.

.24 responses.Add a Recommendation.over 3 years ago . Flag

Looking for an inexpensive, central area/place to stay while on Bohol Island. I am a backpacker, but need a private room as I carry camera equipment with me that I do not want stolen.

Also would like any suggestions of what else there is to do in Bohol. I will be there for about 5-7 days.

.24 responses.Add a Recommendation.about 3 years ago . Flag

Okay, so I will fly into Manila and have 2 days there before flying off to Leyte and Bohol. What is there to do in Manila? I am a do as the locals do kind of person.

I also do photography, where are some great places to get some good photographs of locals doing their everything thing? Where would you take photos?

.24 responses.Add a Recommendation.about 3 years ago . Flag

My Places

Section name:
    • Av Ac commented on this list

I would love to! Seems like we would have a lot of fun! Well lucky you'll get yours now :( Mine would have to wait. I hate waiting!

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

Ohh cheska... i am a backpacker style of traveler

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

Like i said before AV you can join me ;)

• Av Ac commented on this list

I'm jealous! I haven't been to Bohol and Leyte. I bet you're going to fall in love with Bohol :) esp the Tarsiers :p

• Av Ac commented on this list

if you want to take photos of iconic/historical places, you can try Intramuros in Manila. you can also go to my university, it's the oldest university in the philippines (i think :D).

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

Ermita/Malate area of Manila. No place to chosen yet. It will be in september (rain season). Leyte, I will go down south and just wander around there. Might stay with some one I know.

• Cheska Kat commented on this list

Where in Manila are u staying? What city and what hotel?

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

So... wait... any advice?

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

I didn't know you were from Phil... thought you were born and raised here :P

• Cheska Kat commented on this list

Omg you're going??!!!! I was born and raised in Manila and my dad is from Leyte!!! I've been to Leyte maybe 2-3 times before. I've lived in the Philippines for 21 amazing years :) I'm sooo jealous of you lol

Matthew Crompton recommended Cabilao Island
      Cabilao is a small island off the northwestern coast of Bohol in the Visayas of the central Philippines, and a prime spot for SCUBA diving and snorkeling. Unlike the highly-developed area of Panglao ... read more
      off Bohol's southwestern coast, which teems with resorts and traffic and noise, this tiny island has only 4 small dive operators, and accommodation in a handful of beachside cottages. It's what a prime dive spot looks like before it gets 'discovered' -- undeveloped and serene. Access is via a short outrigger boatride across the channel, and on the boat out after a few days of diving and relaxation, you'll find yourself hoping they never build a bridge.
      .Comment.about 3 years ago. Report
      Matthew Crompton

Hey Erick- sorry I've been remiss on getting to this; busy busy busy. :(
      In any case, the chocolate hills often get 'meh' reviews from travellers, and I gave them a miss. Cabilao, by contrast, is well off the tourist radar (not so Panglao). I stayed at Forsing Cottages (one of 4 small places on the island, and operated by a women named, well, Forsing). One of my very favorite places in the Philippines.

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

Thank you Joie Pinaylayas I will definately let you know when if i have more questions :D

• Joie Pinaylayas commented on this list

Please feel free to ask any question, I'll be glad to help:)

• Joie Pinaylayas commented on this list

And if you are in for some adrenaline rush, I highly recommend this: I did the "plunge" it was soooo much fun!!!;) http://www.eatdanao.com/

• Joie Pinaylayas commented on this list

And if you're looking for things to do there are lots depends what you are in a mood for. I stayed at "Bohol tropics" my first time. There are expensive and inexpensive accommodations and very nice amenities. My second time, I stayed in a bit pricey hotel "Panglao Island Resort Spa", very nice but paid a little less than $200 a night! But includes breakfast and dinner buffets and food was good. On top of that, you also get a 30-min free massage in their spa.

• Joie Pinaylayas commented on this list

Erick there are lots of budget hotels in Bohol, this site might help

• Wonmi Kim commented on this list

5 - 7 days in bohol?! Personally i only liked the chocolate hill tour and its done within half day. The beach we went sucked! We could only swim in the morning when on high tide. Things were more various in Cebu and there were a lot of koreans, too. :)

• Av Ac commented on this list

aww too bad I'm not in the Phils. right now or else I wouldn't mind being your tourist guide (altho I kinda suck at it being geographically challenged that I am and bad with my country's history so I guess I wouldn't be that much help :D).
      you can check out places like Boracay, Bohol, Palawan, among the many really nice islands in the Philippines. I haven't been to Palawan and Bohol which I regret not doing when I was still there but I have seen so many pictures of the place and have heard great things about it from friends and colleagues.

• Wonmi Kim commented on this list

one thing i didnt like about the philippines was that u have to move around constantly by boats or flights to see more places.... shouldnt complain when we know about a hundred of islands make its country. transportation was cheap though. u better have good luck esp in Aug which is wet season there. ;)

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

Oh and where did you stay while you were in Bohol?

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

So I guess, I will be there closer to 5 days :)
      I would like to do Cebu, but I am not a city person, and I know my travel mate does not want to go to Cebu.

Btw, what is with the huge Korean influence in Philippines?

Erick Redcloud commented on this list

Ha! When the bf sees this, he'll be like- "off with her head!" lol *shudders But yeah, sure let's go! :D

I would love to go back and stay for a month at least, probably next year. Let me know where you're going. I'm sure you're excited! :)

.Comment.via Facebookover 3 years ago. Report
      Erick Redcloud commented on this list

Thanks for the info wonmi. I was looking at some of your photos from your trip. Looks like you had a blast. May need to rethink when to go.

Av, would love for you to still be my guide. Come with me. I actually like being lost, you discover many more hidden treasures that way. With you there I can get lost much faster and easier ;)

.Comment.via Facebookover 3 years ago. Report
    • Chill-out Guesthouse1288 M.H Del Pilar Street ermita, Manila, Luzon, Philippines
    • Taal Volcano and Lake50km south of Manila, Tagaytay 4120 Philippines
    • One Tagaytay Place Hotel SuitesBarrio Sungay, Tagaytay, Luzon, Philippines
      Michael Manansala recommended One Tagaytay Place Hotel Suites
      .Comment.over 3 years ago. Report
      Michael Manansala

Tatagaytay locals is one of the most hospitable here in the Philippines. How hospitable you ask? Well, they always go all out on making visitors feel welcomed.

They'll give/serve you more than what you need. One example is when they prepare a meal for guest/s. Say you're the only guest, they'll cook for at least 3 persons. They don't like it when guest/s don't get enough of everything, especially food. And may I just say, Tagaytay local foods will make you want to just stay there for the rest of your mortal life.

And if you want a great place to stay, go click on my suggested link.

Help Erick Redcloud create a great list.

Add a Recommendation
Don't have a specific place to recommend?Add a comment instead
Close large map View large map
Sync your Gogobot Lists with your mobile. Get the app today.