Trip Plan Details
- Jimbaran SeafoodJalan Pemelisan Agung - Jimbaran, Kuta, Indonesiarecommended Jimbaran SeafoodThe seafood barbeques at Jimbaran Beach in south Bali rate among the island's best and most memorable dining experiences. While the seafood here may not be the cheapest meal on Bali, offerings like ... read moregiant king prawns, and a spectacular array of sauces to accompany, can't be argued with. A fabulous place to watch the sunset from the sand with a cold beer.Matthew Crompton
Personally, regard eating at this south-Bali institution as a must-do.
recommended Kuta, LombokKuta, Lombok (please not to be confused with the eponymous town in South Bali) is the Indonesia you've been looking for and have not found -- a whole coastline of empty white-sand beaches, sheltered ... read morebays, and turquoise waters, with great surf breaks for everyone from beginners to experts. There's none of the scheming from Bali, none of the crowds and douchey backpackers from the Gilis. The locals are genuinely nice (not want-something nice) and sincerely surf-crazy, eager to share a meal or show you an out-of-the-way surf spot. An Australian newspaper recently reported on the area's long-awaited boom with an article titled, "Waiting for the Gold Rush," but for now Kuta Lombok is one of the sweetest places in the whole of Indonesia.Matthew Crompton
Personally, I think the Gilis are spoiled, and vastly prefer this tougher-to-reach town on the Lombok south coast. If you REALLY want unspoiled (while still being fairly accessible), go here.
- Tir Na NogGili Trawangan, Gili Trawangan, Indonesiarecommended Tir Na NogThe only beachfront option for Gili T's thrice-weekly parties, Tir Na Nog is a fine bar with a good location. The 'local' liquor doubles (at 24,000Rp) are probably the best value on the menu, but you ... read moremay want to check if you can handle the douchey clientele come Wednesday nights.Matthew Crompton
Tir Na Nog is a good choice for beachfront parties, if you're in the market.
recommended Gili TrawanganYour enjoyment of Gili Trawangan, the largest of the three Gili Islands, largely hinges on your appetite for partying. Sure, the diving and snorkeling are good, and once you get out of the town it ... read morequickly becomes very quiet and calm, but the majority of comers are here to party -- lured by the freeflowing drugs ("weed, mushrooms, coke, ecstasy") and the meatmarkety vibe. If you're not in the mood, you're better off to stay on Gili Air or Gili Meno.Matthew Crompton
I will be fully upfront with my feelings about Gili T: if you want to dive, drink, party, and do drugs with other westerners, this is the place to do it. If you want a bit of a peaceful island scene, stay on Gili Meno or Gili Air, or, better still, consider a trip down to Kuta Lombok on the mainland.
recommended Big Kahuna Surf School of HawaiiThe Big Kahuna Surf School of Hawaii is, confusingly enough, located just steps away from Kuta Beach on Bali which just so happens to have one of the best beach breaks in the world for learning how to ... read moresurf. For 30 USD the Big Kahuna Surf School will hook you up with a crash course in theory, safety and a practicum that'll have you up and riding the waves within half an hour. If you're not standing up and surfing by the end of the lesson, in fact, the second lesson is free, no questions asked.
recommended Passargad Persian Restaurant & Shisha CafeWith Persian specialties such as koobideh kebab (ground minced lamb), shishlik kebab (grilled lamb chops), saffron rice PLUS Filipino lumpia, Texas burgers, German chicken schnitzel, Indonesian gado ... read moregado, mie and nasi goreng, this little slice of Tehran on Bali is about as cosmopolitan as it gets while still retaining a distinct Iranian flavor.
- Potato Head Beach ClubJalan Petitenget, Seminyak Bali, Denpasar, Indonesia 80361
- KU DE TAJalan Kayu Aya No. 9 Seminyak Bali Indonesia 80361
- Kokomo ResortJalan Gili Trawangan, Indonesiarecommended Kokomo ResortI didn't stay in this hotel - only had lunch at the restaurant by the beach, which was wonderfuIl and highly recommended. It's such a small island: the only mode of transport around the island is ... read moreeither via horse cart or bicycle.Recommended for:Yanti
You can also do a day trip from Lombok and chartered a local wooden boat from the nearest port. I must say that Lombok is not very near from Bali (you still have to take domestic flight to get there from Bali)
recommended Blue Marlin Dive ShopBlue Marlin is one of the best dive shops on the Gili Islands. I did my PADI certification here on Gili T. Right off of the island there is amazing diving - you can see huge cuttlefish that change ... read morecolors as they move across the bottom, eels, and if you are lucky, sharks. The currents allow for great drift diving as well (where the currents carry you along and you just float past the scenery).Recommended for:Travis Katz
The gilis are really small. You can walk around Gili T in a couple of hours, and that is the largest island. When we were here we went diving or hung on the beach during the day. There are only a handful of restaurants and all are pretty good - featuring fresh fish from the days haul. Its a magical place.
- d'Djabu VillasBraban St, no 46, Banjar Taman | Kerobokan Kelod - Seminyak, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia
- Villa NautilusGili Meno, Indonesia
- Alila Villas SooriBanjar Dukuh, Desa Kelating | Kerambitan, Tabanan, Bali 80251, Indonesia
- Ubud PalaceUbud, Bali, Indonesia