Extraordinary Desserts - Balboa Park

5 Oct 07, 2013
    Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesGreen TravelersVegetarian
    Connie Pistilli
    5 Apr 18, 2013

A sweet tooth's heaven! Beautifully made desserts that are too pretty to eat. Happy hour is M-F from 4-7pm.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    • Outdoor Enthusiasts

This place is a feast for both your eyes and mouth. Surprising thing is, it's not just their desserts that are insanely delicious. I had their grilled cheese sandwich here and it was oh so yummy!

The lines can get a little long but this is must-go place whenever you find yourself in SD.

Trina D.
    • Local Culture

What's better than fanciful cakes and desserts?! Why drinks and sandwiches to go with your dessert of course. For a place called Extraordinary Desserts, they actually have a full menu with starters, salads, sandwiches, alcoholic drinks, teas, and coffees. We walked in on a Saturday afternoon and there was no wait. Apparently, this is rare. Lucky us! Joa K. and I ordered the blackberry and kiwi lemonades respectively. The kiwi lemonade is tart and fresh. I really liked the flavors.

Since we were pleasantly full from our meal over at Davanti Enoteca, we asked for the dessert menu, which they don't have. What?! Our server told us to go look at the case. Turns out they can't have a dessert menu because they sell whatever is in their case and that usually varies. I didn't see the famous dulce de leche cake as seen on Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" but I did see a dulce de leche cheesecake. Nothing really stood out to me except the banana cream tarte and the pumpkin cheesecake, so we ordered those. The pumpkin cheese cake was rich with pumpkin flavor and spices. What brought it over the top was the layer of cranberry jam in the middle and the reconstituted dried cranberries on top with the tiniest fleck of 24 kt gold leaf. Yes, edible gold leaf. The banana cream tart was deliciously rich atop a shortbread crust with dark chocolate and gold leaf adorning it. The banana cream wasn't overly sweet and I really preferred it to the pumpkin cheesecake. It was really good. Both desserts were really rich in flavor and calories so we decided to box up the rest and took them home.

Our server was really attentive and awesome. I really like the openness of the space. The outside architecture is beautifully modern contemporary with the bubble facade. This place has it all: food, drinks, and extraordinary desserts.

Andy Kush

I think they have the best pastry and cake in San Diego.

Susan Lee
    4 Nov 11, 2013

Extraordinary desserts has a huge selection of cakes and teas. The cakes are really rich, but they have really great flavor to them. Make sure to bring some friends to share a couple with. They also have at least 10 different kinds of teas to choose from. The line can get really long on weekends and nights, so be prepared to wait.

Paul Petrick
    4 Apr 18, 2013

Amazing desserts, most with edible flowers. They're so beautiful to look at, it's almost a shame to eat them. We ordered a bunch and split them - all were fabulous, but the blackberry cheesecake was the standout.

esther lee
    5 Nov 22, 2013

This is a MUST visit whenever you're in the area. Their dessert are rich so I'd recommend sharing. There is ALWAYS a line and since the place is small, good luck finding a place to sit. Other then that, super delicious desserts.

Rhia R.
    5 Nov 01, 2013

Looks can often be deceiving when it comes to the sweet stuff. What looks incredible on the outside can taste like complete crap once you dig into it. I'm sure we've had that type of moment at one point in our lives. Trust me when I say you can leave your doubts about desserts at the door when you come here. After some recommendations through friends and looking at the menu itself, I wasn't quite yet convinced to order a piece of their Shangri-La cake. I completely passed up the display case on my way in, so I headed back to it before the waiter took our orders. Seeing the massive white and pink (hate that color) wonder before my eyes was plenty enough confirmation that I had made a wise decision.

As a self-proclaimed chocoholic, I shocked myself for choosing something made with white chocolate. Call me biased, but I often tend to dislike the latter because it in no way tastes like its brown, cocoa-based counterpart. I put that love/hate relationship to rest when I indulged in this white chocolate and guava mousse, strawberry and vanilla layered slice of pure heaven. Although I had a preconception of it being dense, the texture was rather light. No food coma from dessert? Awesome! My friend had me try a bit of her chocolate croissant bread pudding. Now that stuff was rich; pure chocolate overload with the bread pudding itself and sides of chocolate dipping sauce and double chocolate chip ice cream.

It takes serious balls for an establishment to live up to its name, but this place wears it well. Stay classy and extraordinary, ED.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
  • Extraordinary Desserts - Balboa ParkCommunity ManagerPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Oct 17, 2013

Hands down the best desserts in the USA. It's pricy but well worth it. Every day has something different, so just ask the servers what they like the best and they'll point you in the right direction!

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBusiness TravelersFamily TravelersTrendsters