Five Guys Burgers & Fries

116 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, California

• Five Guys Burgers & FriesPro 2014
    Kelly G.
    4 Nov 07, 2013

Wow, I totally forgot that the 'mini/smaller' burgers were the ones with only one patty. My hubby and I ended up each ordering a normal burger (mine cheese, his bacon) and were both surprised with the double patties to be found.

It was delicious. Backyard style taste and homemade feeling, even more so than In n Out. Fries are thicker 'natural' cut style.

Free peanuts to grab (which is terrible for my cousin who is allergic to peanuts and therefore avoids this place like the plague). Relatively quick service with friendly staff.

Great portions. Great taste. Great prices. yum.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Five Guys Burgers & FriesAmbassadorPro 2014
    Stanley Chan
    4 Nov 06, 2013

After all the hype that I'd recently heard about Five Guys Burgers & Fries, had to give the place a try. Zagat had ranked it better than In N' Out, so the only way to see if was true, it was time to make my way there. Located at The Plant shopping center in San Jose, you can find Five Guys immediately by the long lines. When you go inside, the line is super long, wrapped around the inside of the building. While you wait, you can munch on free peanuts (a la Texas Roadhouse, except you can't throw the shells on the ground). The menu is simple: hamburger, cheeseburger, bacon cheeseburger, and kosher hot dog. I ordered the regular-sized hamburger, which came with two patties. The cool thing about Five Guys, is that you can get free toppings! I got my hamburger with grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, grilled bell peppers, pickles, and BBQ sauce. It was time to try the burger and to see what all the hype was all about!

The burger, was honestly, a bit dry, much to my chagrine. Afterwards, I noticed on the menu, that I could have ordered it Juicy or Well-Done. Guess I missed that part. Maybe Well-Done was the default. There was not too much taste in the burger, even with the toppings, I have to admit. The patty wasn't juicy enough, maybe. I'll have to try again with a Juicy patty next time, to give it a fair run. The regular fries that I ordered were steak-cut size, huge, and chewy! The fries were very fresh!!!! Yum! Next time, I'll have to try the cajun fries.

Service was excellent at Five Guys, and the assembly line in the kitchen was efficient, smooth, and non-stop. We got our order within 5 minutes. As for my verdict, I would have to say that Five Guys is so so, and not up to In N' Out burgers. The burgers at In N' Out are more juicy, perhaps from the sauce that they add, but overall, it just seems tastier. I'll give Five Guys another try, though, since I haven't tried the cheeseburger yet, which I'm sure will add more flavor also. Till next time, In N' Out is still the King!

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversStudentsVegetarian
    Steven Joe
    4 Nov 12, 2012

A decent burger, but I prefer Super Duper or Nations. To me their burgers are too well done and I am not a fan of their buns. They do offer a ton of complimentary condiments on their burgers. Too me the highlights were the fries that come in regular and Cajun flavor. They use real russet potatoes and were fried to perfection.

TT

Ok, I love In n Out, but I have to admit, the right burger at Five Guys has In n Out beat. I first fell in love with Five Guys in DC, where you can eat peanuts while you wait and throw the shells on the ground. My favorite is the mini bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms, onions, lettuce, mayo, and ketchup. The bacon is crispy and perfect and the buns are slightly chewy. Yum! The fries have skins on and you can tell they're fresh (they write on a whiteboard where the potatoes come from). But I've had better fries. It's really about the burger here.

JohnMichael
    3 Jul 04, 2012

Wow!
    Imagine IN and Out... but not quite better but different. I like the fries in a bag of course but their burgers are another story. I like them but only if I were in the mood for them. All the things you can do with their burgers like toppings and stuff is nice only if I want toppings. If I want just a simple burger I'd probably still go to In and Out but when I want some gourmet meat bun combination then I'd go here. And again, it doesnt hurt that they have delicious fries in a bag.

And if you can, I suggest eating outside on a nice day.
    ;D