Frankfurt Travel Guide

Jonas M Luster (jml)
    4 Jun 18, 2014

Everyone talks about Berlin, but the real power within the country emanates from this city. And it knows it. Frankfurt is a true multicultural melting pot, a startup city, a foodie and history buff city, and it's a rich city. Center of the '68 student movement in Europe it also bred Germany's home-grown anarcho-terrorists and about every left politician studied, squatted, plotted, or did drugs in this town in their youth.

Frankfurt's Red Light district is one of the safest and cleanest in Europe, its Sachsenhausen Old Town is quaint and even has the world's only Hooters in a historical building.

Steve DeAngelo
    5 Feb 10, 2014

I was in Frankfurt for just a weekend on the way back from a trip to Russia. I was enthralled with the city, enjoying the architecture, the food, and the German people.

Yogic Traveler
    3 Feb 01, 2014

It's been many years since I was there. I went as a teenager with my school choir to perform with our sister school in this city. I remember performing but I can't remember much of the city. I wish I could remember more. It seems I might have to make a trip back to Germany someday to explore as an adult.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesHistory BuffsLocal Culture
    Rudy Grant
    5 Oct 25, 2013

Downtown Frankfurt and it's sky rises. It's a very busy downtown area especially during conferences and shows. Frankfurt is very diverse in culture and characteristic.

• FrankfurtPro 2014
    Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
    4 Oct 25, 2013

I loved Frankfurt!
    It is a small compact city that can be seen in 2 full days.
    It is clean and easy to get around.
    The highlights for me were the Euro-Tower and The old section of town and all of the museums.
    There were spring festivals everywhere and the people were great.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
    Joseph Coureur
    3 Mar 20, 2013

I've only been to Frankfurt on stop-overs to other places. I've spent a couple days there at a time. It's decent enough but it has an industrial feel to it. I don't think I'd want to take a holiday here.

Yolanda Manning
    5 Mar 11, 2013

Frankfurt was an awesome experience, being able to walk the streets and eat at the local BlockHouse is truly a journey to remember.

Juno Kim
    4 Feb 02, 2013

Good mix of modern and historic character. The skyline is inspiring, and the riverside offers a great leisure for the locals. Public transportation system is really convenient. Some of the best German food I had were in Frankfurt. Wish I had more time there. Also Frankfurt is a transportation hub not only in Germany but also whole Europe!

Ziv Tarsi
    2 Dec 27, 2012

Frankfurt is a very industrial city, for conferences it works just fine, but I wouldn't come here as a tourist, that's what Berlin is for. Or so I'm told...

Tarina Peterson
    4 Dec 10, 2012

Frankfurt is an extremely modern city - it has little gems of history sprinkled throughout but it's not one that I spent quite a bit of time in. I always seemed to be going somewhere else when I stopped by. Regardless, I enjoyed my time in Frankfurt - it has some great sights and there was always a great restaurant to try out.

Laurel W
    3 Sep 26, 2012

Frankfurt is a travel hub for many flights from Canada. We saw it only for a day on our way to southern Europe. It is a city which looks worth spending more time exploring. We could see the interesting modern skyscrapers which contrasted with the old but well maintained buildings. The downtown area was very active and full of tourists.

Himanshu Sareen
    3 Sep 16, 2012

The business hub of Germany has something to offer for non business people also. the beautiful park along the river main and the city center aree wonderful places to explore for the tourist

Uber
    5 Aug 10, 2012

I had one last university credit to receive and I had two choices. I could attend my university for 8 months, registering in one class, taught 3 times a week. Or I could go to Germany where my father and his family were born, to attend a class taught 7 hours a day, for three weeks. It was an easy choice. I attended university in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. As a bonus, my father and my Omi came over after my course had ended. We traveled together seeing all the places they grew up. It was a wonderful bonding experience. I was very lucky. Frankfurt is a beautiful city with wonderful architecture, food, friendly people from all nationalities, and affordable wine! The air smelled fresh in September. It was still warm. I recommend anyone who is traveling to German to enjoy the local foods that each region is known for. This includes local beer brewed specifically for restaurants in the area.

Larisa Moroney- Irving

Beautiful country outside the cities. Lots of narrow streets. Every village ha a church. Emmacuately clean rooms.

Dee Ammerman

Frankfurt is a great city for me there is so much to see very nice people as well i am german myself but i would recommend visiting frankfurt

Jeanie William

Was at the airport from singapore. The journey too long and landed in Frankfurt to Dresden airport.

Leigh Virkus

We visited Frankfurt on our river cruise. What was great was they were having a carnival right on the river bank near where we docked. It was fun to see the vendors and games that the Germans have. We plan on coming to this city again when we have more time.

Terra Maggiolino

This is the courthouse in Downtown Frankfurt where my husband and I got married, over 36 years ago!

Paige Camerino

A pleasant city rich in culture, Frankfurt is definitely worth seeing if you are doing a tour around Germany. The streets and buildings are renovated yet at the same time they give off a very rustic vibe. What's convenient is that most (if not all--correct me if I'm wrong) of the museums are located all in the same neighborhood; in that way, you can set aside some time to scope out your museum(s) of choice.

Audrey Sweitzer
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Such a beautiful country; lots to do and see. The airport is absolutely AWFUL, however, so prepare yourself for difficulties ahead of time! Our plane was delayed out of the U.S.A and by the time we landed in Frankfurt, we had missed our connecting flight to our final destination. The attendants refused to even try to get us onto a different flight - apparently it is policy that they make you purchase whole new tickets!! (The language barrier made it harder than it probably had to be) We ended up paying double just to get to our final destination, even though it wasn't our fault that we missed our original connection. I wasn't one to argue too much, though, seeing as there are armed military patrolling the place. :o)

Find Hotels in Frankfurt:

128,988 people visited Frankfurt

Today, Frankfurt functions as the financial backbone of Germany and Continental Europe, facilitating commerce, trade, and transportation throughout the world. Frankfurt can be bewildering to the eye, with massive modern skyscrapers juxtaposed with medieval architecture as old as the 12th century. For a taste of gothic and 15th century architecture, take a stroll in Frankfurt's old town -- ... read more
Römerberg -- past the Ostzeile, a half-timbered 15th reconstruction, and Alte Nikolaikirche, an early Gothic church built in 1290. Like museums? The Museumsufer district, clustered on both sides of the Main River, educates folks in Jewish history, Roman art, film and anthropology. (Walk the river on Saturdays for Frankfurt's famed flea market.) How about books? Frankfurt hosts the largest book fair in the world every October with publishers from around the world. Decompress from all this heady stuff at a nightclub (located in former bomb shelters and breweries) or one of Frankfurt's large array of hotels, from rural castles to city center skyscrapers.

Current ForecastbyWeather Underground