Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen

• Gabbi's Mexican KitchenPro 2014
    JR Cajigas
    5 Dec 24, 2012

A random restaurant Yelp roulette brought us to this highly rated Mexican food joint in the Orange circle. I really did not intend on having the best enchilada that I've ever had, but huzzah!

The address to Gabbi's is accurate but the restaurant is without a sign. You'll only be able to spot this joint by the brick walls and water misters on the sidewalk. Supposedly there was a dispute long ago with the city about the styling of the sign, so the owner decided to just do away with it. A bit peculiar, but the hostess added that Gabbi's has been established in this spot for at least 6 years. I would be one of many customers to have trouble spotting this place. Worth the hassle? Heck yes!

Seating is a bit cramp, but it was efficient use of space. The brick walls decor was eclectic and set a urban but classy feel. Everyone is treated to an initial appetizer of chips and salsa. Chips were plain old, but something about the salsa gave it a mild after kick that went long unidentified until I had to ask...trace amounts of vinegar. It was a lasting spice in my mouth that would make way for the eventual mouthgasm that my main entree would give.

-=-Enchiladas de Camerron-=- This was a $18 dollar plate which was probably around the median price of dishes here. A bit pricy but this really is a higher calibre of Mexican food. I've recently paid a hefty tag at another well known overpriced LA Live Mexican establishment, but I was left unsatisfied and underwhelmed. Here at Gabbi's, I would do it over and over again and also take all my friends here to have the same experience. My enchilada plate consisted of 2 moderately sized enchiladas, a tiny scoop of black beans, and garlic rice. The beans were as expected, no surprises. The garlic rice was different by being not too garlicky, but more oily and smooth. There was another flavor in the rice that I was not able to put my finger on. My dining colleagues felt it was a shrimpy taste, but I didn't think so. The entire plate was covered in a mild green creamy enchilada sauce, emphasis on the creamy. Alone, it would not be significant, but at first bite of the enchilada, I felt it. The shrimp enchilada is NOT for the fishy taste haters. There is a certain Taste of the Ocean that fills your mouth with every bite of this. The green creamy enchilada sauce would serve as a great equalizer to the fishy taste. There is also no shortcoming of shrimp content here. Every bite, no matter how small, reminded me of this well thought out pairing of favors.

• Gabbi's Mexican KitchenPro 2014
    Dennis Rose

Amazing upscale Mexican food. The wait can be very long on weekends (1 hour), but the food is worth waiting for, and you can walk around Old Town while waiting. A great place to do tequilla tasting - try their tequilla flight.

Recommended for:Luxury Travelers