Garden of Oz

3106 Ledgewood Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90068

Spiritual Seekers

• Garden of Oz

I was fortunate enough to live near the Oz Garden. One day when I was hiking up the hill I saw the gate open and the owner was inside. We talked for a while and when I told her that I was a mosaic artist, she invited me to do some mosaics in there. She gave me the key, that I treasure still these days. I worked there as a volunteer for a couple of weeks. Then I was invited to be present at a special tea ceremony in honoring the victims of Hiroshima.
    This garden is very magical and inspiring. I felt that I was like a fish in water. The owner allied me to take some photos of my work for my portfolio, and of the whole garden, but I never shared them. Some things need to remain magical and secret, for their own protection.
    I live in Las Vegas now, but any time I have a chance to go to LA, I take the key with me and visit the garden for some peaceful meditation.

Recommended for:Local CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsSpiritual SeekersWellness
  • Garden of OzPro 2014

hidden gem!

here's the history

I've been wanting to see this place for years! Heard that the owner gave the keys to few of the children living in that are and those children passed it down to other children. Seemed like a magical place, especially because it's exclusive (no photos allowed inside!).

I tried googling around for the location 2years ago but had no luck :/ I got bored few days ago, googled it again and found it immediately (and I just realized its on yelp!)! It's located in a quiet residential area...my sis and i parked nearby and walked up the hill to check it out. We did our very best to not get in other cars way.

The garden of oz was smaller than what I have imagined. It looks like it's connected to the house next door. The gate was closed so we only got to have a glimpse of what's past that yellow gate. (was hoping we might get a chance to go inside...bummer) We did get to check out the walls in front of it :) they were cemented with TONS of nostalgic toys. Very artsy :)

Overall it was an interesting experience. Not much to see unless you're lucky enough to get inside. I can cross it off my bucket list.

I heard that there's a secret stairway somewhere near beachwood (perfect for hiking/intense workout)... You get to hike down Lake Hollywood

tip:
    - be mindful about not getting in the cars way! the street is very small
    - keep in mind you're in a residential are (no screaming)
    - if someone invite's you inside the garden, respect their request and don't take any photo

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversHistory BuffsOutdoor EnthusiastsTrendsters
  • Garden of Oz

I realize that I am a very fortunate person: I have visited the Garden of Oz five different times on separate visits to Los Angeles. The reason I was able to do so was because I have friends who have a key to the gate. We are always very respectful of the place when we go there, and our visits are a type of silent meditation. Usually we do small clean-up chores, honoring the spirit of this special place by sweeping it and gathering leaves. I would say that instead of the categories listed here under "Recommended for," the Oz garden is for people with a spiritual side, people who associate creativity with the best part of the human spirit. It is not meant to be a place for gawkers, curiosity seekers or trendies. That is why there is a locked gate.

2 people visited Garden of Oz