Gary Danko

800 N Point St, San Francisco, CA 94109

hangry_cho
    3 Apr 04, 2014

Gary Danko was good, but not the same as I remember when I first came back in 2009.

I think I've been too spoiled by all the more modern restaurants that have made it big in the food scene since then. The food is good, but presentation lacks the same qualities that somewhere like Redd in Yountville has. I also think that the way the dining rooms are placed make the overall atmosphere seem less "upscale". When you have a row of seats right next to the overcrowded bar, it takes away from the intimate fine dining experience. GD's decor also feels catered to an older crowd.

Overall the meal was fine, service was good, but it doesn't live up to the hype Gary Danko has in the bay area. As my coworker put it, it only has as many reviews and stars as it does because of the publicity it gets from being in such a frequented tourist spot.

TIP: The price at least matches the quality of their food! :) And they give extra dessert for special celebrations!

Owie
    5 Mar 13, 2014

It is about time I write a review for Gary Danko. A well deserved five stars restaurant. It does live up to its hype!

I had the pleasure of coming here for my birthday during a nice cold evening. We ordered:

- Quail Stuffed with Foie Gras, Mushroom and Quinoa, Braised Artichokes, Peas, Prosciutto and Olive Butter. ( Quail and Fioe Gras was scrumptious!)

- Seared Filet of Beef with Potatoes Panadera, Swiss Chard, Cassis Glazed Shallots and Bordelaise Butter. (definitely melt in my mouth)

- Coriander, Black Pepper and Rosemary Crusted Tuna with Piperade, Summer Beans and Anchovy Essence. ( rosemary and coriander was a good blend for the tuna)

- Seared Sea Scallops with Asparagus-Pea Purée, Pickled Radish, Spring Onions and Sauce Maréchal. ( scallops was seared to perfection!)

- Lobster Salad with Asian Pear, Mango, Avocado, Cashews and Lime Cilantro Rémoulade. ( Refreshing and light texture, perfect for appetizer)

- Lemon Soufflé Cake with Créme Frache Panna Cotta and Raspberry Sorbet.

- Warm Louisiana Butter Cake with Roasted Apricots, Elderberry Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. ( Best dessert bread pudding)

- Squash soup ( I love squash soup in general)

Each and every entrees was unique and flavorful. Perfect portion size and an excellent service at its finest. One of my favorite fine dining places to go to in SF.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBusiness TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Seema Shah
    5 Oct 14, 2013

Great atmosphere - much more lively than most restaurants in this class. And the food is always amazing!

Derek D
    5 Jan 10, 2014

I am going to bump this up to a 5, although I would actually score it a 4.5.
    First off, the service at the restaurant is impeccable. All top tier restaurants have great service, but somehow, Gary Danko takes it to the next level. The staff all the way around are great. The food was great, Soft Shell Crab, Bison, Filet...all were great. The drinks are great and the ambience is small and quaint, just the way I like it. A must if you are in San Francisco, you will not be disappointed.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Joe V
    5 Sep 16, 2013

A special occasion restaurant that really delivers on it's long-standing reputation. Leave room for the most awesome cheese cart in the country.

Gogobot Editors' Choice
    5 Jul 22, 2013

The apex of luxurious dining in San Francisco, Gary Danko is the Gogobot Editor's Choice winner for food, decor, and service. The signature five-course menus come paired with the world's most innovative wines. Be sure not to pass up the cheese cart, which rolls through each evening up over a dozen hand-picked cheeses.

Dede Tisone
    5 Dec 31, 2013

Gary Danko's is a 5 star fixed price restaurant less than a block away from the house. Gary Danko just won a James Beard award and you have to make reservations weeks in advance. But it is usually possible to stop in for a glass of wine and hor d'ouvres at the bar on the spur of the moment.

Karen Le
    4 Dec 31, 2013

What an amazing experience at Gary Danko! It was like an explosion of so many different flavors in my mouth. My fiance and I decided to celebrate our anniversary here and each got the three courses for $66 paired with an awesome half bottle of wine. The wine selection is a bit pricey, ours was $70, but well worth every drop. Kudos on the recommendation by the sommelier! I love the flexibility they give you in selecting your three, four, or five courses. I was a smart girl and decided to substitute my dessert with another appetizer choice. Yum! I'm so glad I did. They always give you a little something sweet to go home with so I didn't feel like I was missing out. That little something was banana bread with a cream cheese filling and it was so delicious. The cake batter was super moist. They also brought out little cakes and cookies on a plate that read "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate syrup with a candle for us at the end. So thoughtful.

For my first two courses I ordered the foie gras with caramelized red onions and glazed oysters with caviar. Omg! Both were to die for! I ate slower than I normally do so that I could savor each morsel even longer. The foie gras was very rich and tasted like sweet butter, it just melted in my mouth. The oysters and caviar were really fresh. None of that gross ocean taste in your mouth. The lettuce cream that they used to glaze the oysters and caviar made the dish perfect. I tried to scoop it up with my spoon like soup because I loved it so much. My fiance ordered the risotto with lobster. I've tried risotto before in Chicago and it was like bland baby food mush, but the one he ordered here exceeded my expectations. The risotto was full of flavor and the tender pieces of fresh seasoned lobster topped it off. My final course was the beef filet with cumin potatoes. The beef was cooked nicely on the inside, pink with a little bit of juice, but the outside was a bit too charred. I didn't care too much for the beef honestly, a bit ordinary for me. I read good reviews on the frog legs and the quail and the next time I'm here, I'll definitely have to try that.

First star goes to excellent customer service. From the doorman to the hostess to all the staff that waited on us. There must have been like ten people who helped us. Always attentive and super friendly. One more star for the ambiance. A romantic setting if you're celebrating something special. Fresh decor really make this place modern. It was a bit noisy though, lots of people close by chatting it up. The last two stars are for food! Every bite leaves you wanting more and wondering how it is possible for something to have so many different flavors that come together so well. Till we meet again Restaurant Gary Danko, I hope it will be soon!

Rena
    5 Dec 31, 2013

Most Amazing food I've had in San Francisco with most prestige customer service. Definitely make you feel like Royalty in their establishment with a very Classy ambience!

• Gary DankoCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    4 Dec 31, 2013

Gary Danko offers a fine dining experience, though I feel it could've been "finer." While the food was amazing, the tables are placed too close together. Any semblance of privacy is completely lost as the neighboring table is literally two inches from yours. When I'm paying this much for food, I really expect great ambiance.

Service was amazing and beyond attentive (almost bordering adoration, which was a bit weird).

Recommended for:Luxury Travelers
  • Gary DankoCommunity Manager
    Jenny Layne Cardon
    5 Dec 31, 2013

The PERFECT dining experience. If you are willing to splurge, Gary Danko will be sure to enlighten your tastebuds and be forever seared into your foodie memory. A gem.

Jenn B
    4 Dec 31, 2013

I love Gary Danko! I think that it's reasonably priced compared to some of the other *fancy* restaurants in the city. Like others have mentioned, diners have a choice of a 3, 4, or 5 course tasting menu. You pick your number of desired courses, then you can pick anything off the menu, so if you want three entrees, that's totally fine. The last time I was there in January, the 3 course option cost $71 per person. I was sufficiently full after that so I wouldn't order a 4 or 5. The portions are pretty decent and the food is rich, so ordering a 4 or 5 course option would simply be for tasting variety rather than actual hunger.

My favorite dish they offer is the farm egg. I loved the foie gras, but it is no longer legal. Sad. That lobster risotto is amazing, too.

Don't bother ordering dessert for the sake of ordering dessert because they'll give you a small plate of sweet things to nibble on before they give you the check, and they'll even give you a wrapped up breakfast treat for the next morning. The service here is awesome.

The only reason I'm docking a star is that the tables are really close together and the lighting is a tad too bright for what I'd expect with the price point.

Make reservations well in advance!

Mel S Wong
    5 Aug 23, 2012

The food offering, the service, the wine list, the cozy and comfortable dining area, the cheese cart!, and the take home goodie bag. Who says coming to Gary Danko has to be on special occasion?! Being alive and being able to eat (well) is special and hence, there is no reason to wait!

dining experience at Gary Danko is top notched and always enjoyable.

Stephanie Kramer

I was lucky enough to dine here in the last of permitted foi gras days! Anyone planning to stop by in the next 3 weeks I suggest you take try this amazing dish!

Rene

Super high end fine dining, but not at all stuffy. Gary Danko offers a choice of a either a 5 course or 3 course tasting menus. You can mix and match those as well, for example if you are dining with a partner and you prefer to split a cheese and dessert course you can certainly do so. The wine pairing is a good value.

Recommended for:Luxury Travelers
    Henry Lee
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Dang. I wish I had written a review the first time I came here. It would have been an amazing and glorious review. The first time I was here, the food was delicious. The service was impeccable. It was a terrific dining experience.

The second time... well, the service was still impeccable. But the food was completely lack luster. I only ordered 3 dishes: froie gras, lamb loin, and filet of beef. The froie gras was terrific. But it was almost expected to be that good. It certainly did not establish any new ground in liver-deliciousness. It was everything I thought it would be and sadly not any more than that. With a pretty good first dish, the lamb and beef ended up being completely disappointing. The ingredients were quality. The cooking executed almost perfectly. The flaw was the recipe. It just wasn't any good. I can't fault the folks on the line for this one. This is the fault of the executive or the head chef. The dishes just were not delicious. There were quality ingredients and at best it was decent. You would expect for explosions of flavors from Gary Danko. But not so much tonight. This was only made worse with the dessert course. I didn't order dessert, but my dining companions did. The trio of creme brûlée was only 2/3 good. The lemon herbena was terrible. Down right unpleasant to eat. Also had a chance to sample the nutmeg ice cream. There's a flavor that should never be made into ice cream. Seriously.

I wanted to relive my previous excellent experience at Gary Danko. But sadly the food has completely let me down. I am doubtful if I'll come back.

Bernard Moon

Everything is good or very good just not great. My wife and I loved the service and the setting.

kevin mceneaney

One of the best restaurants in the country. The service is top notch, the food is unbelievable. Its expensive but if you are looking for a complete dining experience then go to Gary Danko,you will not be disappointed.

sftraveler

This restaurant has high expectations and most certainly met every single one when I dined here. Every dish I had was amazing.

Dungeness Crab Salad - a perfect way to start off the meal. A perfect amount of avocado, corn, tomato, just the right amount of acid, BEAUTIFUL pieces of lump crab meat and a smoked red pepper mayo

Seared Sea Scallops - not many things better than a perfectly seared, caramelized scallop...and these were certainly perfect. The asparagus-pea puree was a great compliment too.

Pork Belly and Pork Tenderloin duo - both of these pork preparations were cooked to perfection and probably the best pork I have ever eaten. The belly melted in your mouth and had an incredibly flavorful glaze and the tenderloin was almost impossibly moist.

Cheese Course - Normally don't have room for a cheese course this late in the meal - but this was too good to pass up. We took our waiter's recommendations for the cheese and they didn't disappoint. A really incredible way to lead into dessert.

Chocolate Souffle - it was like eating air it was so light! And the duo of warm Belgian chocolate and cold vanilla sauces were perfect!

Scott Daly

Gary Danko has become world famous for it's awesome food and service and is even on my list for all time favorite dining spots. This isn't your go to last minute place but a place you plan and make a great evening out of. The prices are high per person but if you expect less your in the wrong place for sure. I have had many great things in my life and Gary Danko never seems to let me down with it's new creations and very brave menu. Some may still prefer The French Laundry as the place for ultimate dining but this place has my vote in so many ways.

2,453 people visited Gary Danko

Chef Gary Danko practices his art 65-seat Gary Danko restaurant, recipient of a coveted James Beard award. Innovative flavours taking cues from French, Mediterranean, but also Asian and Indian spices tempt the palate, to be matched with an excellent wine list.

Ghirardelli Square