Gary Danko

800 N Point St, San Francisco, CA 94109

Owie
    5 Mar 13, 2014

It is about time I write a review for Gary Danko. A well deserved five stars restaurant. It does live up to its hype!

I had the pleasure of coming here for my birthday during a nice cold evening. We ordered:

- Quail Stuffed with Foie Gras, Mushroom and Quinoa, Braised Artichokes, Peas, Prosciutto and Olive Butter. ( Quail and Fioe Gras was scrumptious!)

- Seared Filet of Beef with Potatoes Panadera, Swiss Chard, Cassis Glazed Shallots and Bordelaise Butter. (definitely melt in my mouth)

- Coriander, Black Pepper and Rosemary Crusted Tuna with Piperade, Summer Beans and Anchovy Essence. ( rosemary and coriander was a good blend for the tuna)

- Seared Sea Scallops with Asparagus-Pea Purée, Pickled Radish, Spring Onions and Sauce Maréchal. ( scallops was seared to perfection!)

- Lobster Salad with Asian Pear, Mango, Avocado, Cashews and Lime Cilantro Rémoulade. ( Refreshing and light texture, perfect for appetizer)

- Lemon Soufflé Cake with Créme Frache Panna Cotta and Raspberry Sorbet.

- Warm Louisiana Butter Cake with Roasted Apricots, Elderberry Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. ( Best dessert bread pudding)

- Squash soup ( I love squash soup in general)

Each and every entrees was unique and flavorful. Perfect portion size and an excellent service at its finest. One of my favorite fine dining places to go to in SF.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBusiness TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Gogobot Editors' Choice
    5 Jul 22, 2013

The apex of luxurious dining in San Francisco, Gary Danko is the Gogobot Editor's Choice winner for food, decor, and service. The signature five-course menus come paired with the world's most innovative wines. Be sure not to pass up the cheese cart, which rolls through each evening up over a dozen hand-picked cheeses.

Rene

Super high end fine dining, but not at all stuffy. Gary Danko offers a choice of a either a 5 course or 3 course tasting menus. You can mix and match those as well, for example if you are dining with a partner and you prefer to split a cheese and dessert course you can certainly do so. The wine pairing is a good value.

Derek D
    5 Jan 10, 2014

I am going to bump this up to a 5, although I would actually score it a 4.5.
    First off, the service at the restaurant is impeccable. All top tier restaurants have great service, but somehow, Gary Danko takes it to the next level. The staff all the way around are great. The food was great, Soft Shell Crab, Bison, Filet...all were great. The drinks are great and the ambience is small and quaint, just the way I like it. A must if you are in San Francisco, you will not be disappointed.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Veronica Sartori
    5 Feb 02, 2014

Gary Danko is probably San Francisco's classiest new American fine dining restaurant. It's been around long enough for people to know immediately what you're talking about when you mention Danko's name.

The decor is simple and clean, somewhat trendy and classy at the same time. The service here is outstanding, and there's none of that arrogant tone nonsense.

Just a side note, a bottle Panna Acqua (still water) will run your tab $8. Go for "house water"~

They have a 3, 4, & 5 course menu, priced at $68, $85, & $102 respectively.

They also like to treat the guests to a complimentary take-home dessert on your way out!

Neetu A
    5 Feb 10, 2014
    Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
  • Gary DankoCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    4 Dec 31, 2013

Gary Danko offers a fine dining experience, though I feel it could've been "finer." While the food was amazing, the tables are placed too close together. Any semblance of privacy is completely lost as the neighboring table is literally two inches from yours. When I'm paying this much for food, I really expect great ambiance.

Service was amazing and beyond attentive (almost bordering adoration, which was a bit weird).

hangry_cho
    3 Apr 04, 2014

Gary Danko was good, but not the same as I remember when I first came back in 2009.

I think I've been too spoiled by all the more modern restaurants that have made it big in the food scene since then. The food is good, but presentation lacks the same qualities that somewhere like Redd in Yountville has. I also think that the way the dining rooms are placed make the overall atmosphere seem less "upscale". When you have a row of seats right next to the overcrowded bar, it takes away from the intimate fine dining experience. GD's decor also feels catered to an older crowd.

Overall the meal was fine, service was good, but it doesn't live up to the hype Gary Danko has in the bay area. As my coworker put it, it only has as many reviews and stars as it does because of the publicity it gets from being in such a frequented tourist spot.

TIP: The price at least matches the quality of their food! :) And they give extra dessert for special celebrations!

Joe V
    5 Sep 16, 2013

A special occasion restaurant that really delivers on it's long-standing reputation. Leave room for the most awesome cheese cart in the country.

• Gary DankoCommunity Manager
    Jenny Layne Cardon
    5 Dec 31, 2013

The PERFECT dining experience. If you are willing to splurge, Gary Danko will be sure to enlighten your tastebuds and be forever seared into your foodie memory. A gem.

Mel S Wong
    5 Aug 23, 2012

The food offering, the service, the wine list, the cozy and comfortable dining area, the cheese cart!, and the take home goodie bag. Who says coming to Gary Danko has to be on special occasion?! Being alive and being able to eat (well) is special and hence, there is no reason to wait!

dining experience at Gary Danko is top notched and always enjoyable.

JohnMichael

I love this place. It is nice, quiet, secluded, blah blah blah. All that good stuff. You can't help but blow away your guest's mind with the ambiance and food. I love going here, the entrees, and well, can't forget the sweets. I would not say that it is the most romantic place to go, nor is it the best place for large parties....kind of small.....but to make an impression felt it is definitely the place to go, especially if you like foie gras.

True enough, it is important to reserve way ahead, and not to mention refinance your home mortgage, but by gawd it's worth every cent.

On another note.....dare I say it.......there is one thing that I did not care for, though it would not change my score for the place is the one time service quirk. Perhaps it is more me than them, but I digress.....for all you wine people out there.....I know, I know red is for meat and white is for fish blah blah blah......but to hell with convention!!! I like what I like and for the price I'm paying I will get what I want and nothing less and nothing more......back to the point, at the time I was in the mood for a dessert wine.....as I want to do more often than not, however my waiter thought that perhaps I was unaware that one does not usually drink a dessert wine with dinner....I insisted and got just that. Other than that lil minor thing, the place is grand.

Btw did I mention you should probably make reservations, because you really should....

Though I suppose you could, if you're adventurous try to find a space at the bar... and just walk in though, i would probably call in ahead for that too.
    ;D

J W
    5 Mar 29, 2014

One of the best Resturants in San Francisco, ask for Chris the Sommelier. He is great.

Ori Zaltzman
    5 Feb 01, 2013
    Seema Shah
    5 Oct 14, 2013

Great atmosphere - much more lively than most restaurants in this class. And the food is always amazing!

Dede Tisone
    5 Dec 31, 2013

Gary Danko's is a 5 star fixed price restaurant less than a block away from the house. Gary Danko just won a James Beard award and you have to make reservations weeks in advance. But it is usually possible to stop in for a glass of wine and hor d'ouvres at the bar on the spur of the moment.

Karen Le
    4 Dec 31, 2013

What an amazing experience at Gary Danko! It was like an explosion of so many different flavors in my mouth. My fiance and I decided to celebrate our anniversary here and each got the three courses for $66 paired with an awesome half bottle of wine. The wine selection is a bit pricey, ours was $70, but well worth every drop. Kudos on the recommendation by the sommelier! I love the flexibility they give you in selecting your three, four, or five courses. I was a smart girl and decided to substitute my dessert with another appetizer choice. Yum! I'm so glad I did. They always give you a little something sweet to go home with so I didn't feel like I was missing out. That little something was banana bread with a cream cheese filling and it was so delicious. The cake batter was super moist. They also brought out little cakes and cookies on a plate that read "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate syrup with a candle for us at the end. So thoughtful.

For my first two courses I ordered the foie gras with caramelized red onions and glazed oysters with caviar. Omg! Both were to die for! I ate slower than I normally do so that I could savor each morsel even longer. The foie gras was very rich and tasted like sweet butter, it just melted in my mouth. The oysters and caviar were really fresh. None of that gross ocean taste in your mouth. The lettuce cream that they used to glaze the oysters and caviar made the dish perfect. I tried to scoop it up with my spoon like soup because I loved it so much. My fiance ordered the risotto with lobster. I've tried risotto before in Chicago and it was like bland baby food mush, but the one he ordered here exceeded my expectations. The risotto was full of flavor and the tender pieces of fresh seasoned lobster topped it off. My final course was the beef filet with cumin potatoes. The beef was cooked nicely on the inside, pink with a little bit of juice, but the outside was a bit too charred. I didn't care too much for the beef honestly, a bit ordinary for me. I read good reviews on the frog legs and the quail and the next time I'm here, I'll definitely have to try that.

First star goes to excellent customer service. From the doorman to the hostess to all the staff that waited on us. There must have been like ten people who helped us. Always attentive and super friendly. One more star for the ambiance. A romantic setting if you're celebrating something special. Fresh decor really make this place modern. It was a bit noisy though, lots of people close by chatting it up. The last two stars are for food! Every bite leaves you wanting more and wondering how it is possible for something to have so many different flavors that come together so well. Till we meet again Restaurant Gary Danko, I hope it will be soon!

Rena
    5 Dec 31, 2013

Most Amazing food I've had in San Francisco with most prestige customer service. Definitely make you feel like Royalty in their establishment with a very Classy ambience!

Jenn B
    4 Dec 31, 2013

I love Gary Danko! I think that it's reasonably priced compared to some of the other *fancy* restaurants in the city. Like others have mentioned, diners have a choice of a 3, 4, or 5 course tasting menu. You pick your number of desired courses, then you can pick anything off the menu, so if you want three entrees, that's totally fine. The last time I was there in January, the 3 course option cost $71 per person. I was sufficiently full after that so I wouldn't order a 4 or 5. The portions are pretty decent and the food is rich, so ordering a 4 or 5 course option would simply be for tasting variety rather than actual hunger.

My favorite dish they offer is the farm egg. I loved the foie gras, but it is no longer legal. Sad. That lobster risotto is amazing, too.

Don't bother ordering dessert for the sake of ordering dessert because they'll give you a small plate of sweet things to nibble on before they give you the check, and they'll even give you a wrapped up breakfast treat for the next morning. The service here is awesome.

The only reason I'm docking a star is that the tables are really close together and the lighting is a tad too bright for what I'd expect with the price point.

Make reservations well in advance!

Stephanie Kramer

I was lucky enough to dine here in the last of permitted foi gras days! Anyone planning to stop by in the next 3 weeks I suggest you take try this amazing dish!

2,461 people visited Gary Danko

Chef Gary Danko practices his art 65-seat Gary Danko restaurant, recipient of a coveted James Beard award. Innovative flavours taking cues from French, Mediterranean, but also Asian and Indian spices tempt the palate, to be matched with an excellent wine list.

Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf