Geno's Steaks

1219 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147

suki
    3 Aug 07, 2014

It's one of those things you have to do. You order from Geno's and you order from Pat's. Then you compare the two. We didn't really do it that way. We just picked the one with the flashier signs (Geno's) and ordered a Whiz Wit. Then we ran across the street to the nearby bar and grabbed a beer to go with it. Honestly, it was better than I thought it would be... I'll have to try Pat's next time.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
    Steve Sim
    4 May 18, 2014

Cheese Steak challenge.
    Who's going to win? Geno or Pat?

My coworker & I each bought a sandwich from each place. Armed with 1/2 a sandwich from the iconic cheese steak shop, it was time to decide the winner

The cheese steak at Geno's was very good.
    It had a more tender steak & bigger sliced meat. I ordered it with the Whiz. I have to confess, I like Cheez Whiz. Yum!!

The winner: GENO's

Philly slang to order your cheese steak:
    Whiz for Cheez whiz (other cheese option are American or Provolone)
    With or Without = Grilled onions or no onion

So if you want a cheese steak w/ Cheez whiz and w/ onion, you say:
    "Can I please have a cheese steak whiz with" lol
    Don't mess it up or they will give you a hard time (all in fun)

Same as at Pat's, they have 2 windows. One for the cheese steak order and one for the beverage. You pay separately for each.

They have plenty of picnic tables & chair.

Note: Geno's & Pat's are the touristy Philly cheese steak joint. They made the sandwich famous and should be equally recognized for it.
    Note: if you want a better cheese steak sandwich (per our cabby & others) try Jim's Steak or Tony Luke's.

Do your own taste test and decide for yourself. Enjoy!!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesHistory BuffsLocal Culture
    twinklestarrr333
    4 Dec 09, 2013

Order by saying, "can I get a whiz-wit" otherwise you sound like a tourist, which you probably are, but it's fun trying to conceal it. A local on the plane ride over gave me this tip, it def makes you feel like you're a local as well when you know this tiny tidbit. The cheesesteaks here are awesome! Get it with the cheese whiz and onions for the full experience! I was skeptical because seriously, how awesome can an item taste with artificial cheese but um.....I was blown away - both by the freezing chill of the city as well as the explosive rich taste! The venue is fun too - dramatic colorful propaganda with outside seating directly across their competitors....so if you bring their cheese steaks across the street and eat it at the competing steak place's tables, it's a double slap and a rub into their face! Which is exactly what we did, not for the aforementioned reason but because we hear that the parking police are extreme and we wanted to sit right by our car to keep an eye out in case we went over time limit. Anyway, it was my first stop after landing at the PHI airport and a memorable Philly meal/experience. Recommend!

Daniel Mason-D'Croz
    3 May 10, 2014

Flashy and iconic sandwich shop. You can definitely get your cheese-steak fix here. It is caddy-corner from Pat's. The cheese-steaks are fine, if not mind blowing (I mean it is just a cheese and thinly slice steak :) ).

Recommended for:Local Culture
  • Geno's SteaksAmbassadorPro 2014
    Becky Mahan
    4 Oct 28, 2013

Geno's or Pat's? That is the age-old question for visitors (and residents) to the City of Brotherly Love. When I visited the first time, I tried both cheesesteaks - and came to the conclusion that while Pat's was more tasty, Geno's was far friendlier in service. However, that was 6 years ago. On my last outing, in 2008, I preferred Geno's steaks over Pat's. So who will ever win? Perhaps we will never know.

Recommended for:Local Culture
    Tilly Wright
    3 Oct 27, 2013

Just across from Pat's is Geno's of course. I think Pat's has better tasting meat than Geno's but they do give you more meat here. I went with provolone cheese but I felt like they didn't give me enough cheese. I wish the temperature of the meat was hotter as well. I didn't hate this place but I prefer Pat's.

Recommended for:Local CultureVegetarian
    Yogic Traveler
    3 Aug 16, 2013

The corner where Pat's and Geno's are located is the battleground of the ultimate Philly cheese steak stand off. Some people swear by Geno's, others Pat's. Personally, my Philly friends preferred Pat's so I've eaten there more often but why not try out both and see for yourself.

Recommended for:BackpackersBudget TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Patrick McKenna
    5 Dec 09, 2013

Geno's Steaks (and Pat's Steaks right across the street) ... Both open 24/7 ... best in the city

Randy Mills
    3 Mar 16, 2013

I ate one of these at the same time as I ate one from Pat's and I gotta say I liked Pat's better. That being said, it is a good cheesesteak and you really can't beat the hype of the neon signage on their storefront, you can probably see it from outer space.

LN
    1 Mar 10, 2013

Avoid this racist tourist trap. Jim's on South Street or Tony Luke's in South Philly are much better alternatives

Paul Saunders
    5 Sep 15, 2012

Great place to go after a night of drinking. I'm not a big fan of the cheese wiz cheese but the sandwiches are slam'n.

MrsGrant
    4 Jul 22, 2012

Geno's or Pat's?? Whose got the better cheesesteaks? Geno's located directly across from Pat's, claims to be the best in Philly! I guess it depends on who your asking. Be prepared and know how to order as they are fast.

Kelly G.
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Unfortunately, not the best cheesesteak I've had during my time in Philly (See my favorite at By George! in the Reading Terminal Market). But I'm a Pat (my bf is a Geno).

I didn't quite enjoy the sliced pieces of beef and unnerved at how fast the sandwich came out. And even though my bf is Geno fan, he liked Pat's bread better. Our guide got us the fries with cheese whiz which my bf enjoyed thoroughly.

David Handler

Always one of my favorites ,especially while Joey Vento was with us. As Joey said,'my favorite is cheese steak with provolone and mushrooms.' Take it from me , you will enjoy! They cook your steak and don't chop it up like Pat's across the street. Avoid Wiz, it is not even dairy. It is called food product.

Frederick Schad

This is the most famous Cheesesteak place in Philly. It is open 24 hrs. You have to sit outside. Once my brother in law came back from Iraq and they allow him to cook a cheesesteak behind the counter which is a great honor here. This place is covered in picture of famous people.

Ray Roberts
    5 Jun 28, 2014

Great!!!

Recommended for:StudentsNightlife LoversFamily Travelers
    Jeffrey Yowell
    5 Jul 16, 2013
    Steven Wu
    4 Jun 10, 2013

Pretty similar to pat's with more modern look

Nadine Bellamy
    5 Feb 23, 2013

i have a nice time there and i am planing to go back soon.

Adam Amin