Genwa Korean BBQ

5115 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036

Spiritual Seekers

Diane H
    5 Jun 16, 2013

Drop what you are doing and go to Genwa now! Fantastic food and fantastic staff! Impeccable service and everyone there is happy, fun, and incredibly welcoming. It is always a plus to have good looking staff and at Genwa, everyone is beautiful! Will be returning many more times...my new favorite place in LA.

Amy Chow
    4 Mar 09, 2014

Stopped here for lunch on our way home back when my sis & I did our lil roadtrip to SoCal. We got the kalbi & chicken lunch special which came with alot of different side dishes which was cool. I like the variety. My sis really loved the kalbi and I liked both the chicken & kalbi. Service is pretty attentive, but can be kinda slow. Pretty good eye candy. Hehe the guys working there are kinda cute.

Also, at the beginning they brought out these cute rolled up white thingies which I thought was like marshmallow, but it's actually towlettes for you to clean your hands. They pour hot water on it to make it expand which I find amusing.

Very modern, clean, Kbbq place that I would prob hit up again if I'm in SoCal.

Then at the very end, our server gave us both lollipops which were pretty sweet tasting. :)

Sherman Wong
    5 Dec 09, 2012

This is my favorite KBBQ place in LA. The grills have good ventilation and you won't reek of KBBQ when you leave (well, not as much as going to another KBBQ place in K-Town). The walkways between tables are a little bit narrow and it's not a big venue, so make reservations before going.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    4 Oct 26, 2012

Genwa is a great place to bring KBBQ novices. It's clean, consistent and pretty! Service is prompt and friendly as well.

• Genwa Korean BBQPro 2014
    JR Cajigas
    5 Sep 24, 2012

This is NOT All You Can Eat KBBQ. This is FAR better, more expensive, and a notch bit more fancy. With that disclaimer, do not worry about the non-AYCE part, you will be satisfied from your meal.

-=- A+ Combo -=- You have the option of ordering a combo per person price, or individual dishes. I know my Korean food, but it's just so much easier to trust that decision to the restaurant. We did not go wrong with ordering the Combo A+ which was a step up from the basic Combo A. Some of the combos included Soju, but this one didn't. No matter, we'd buy a pitcher of Hite anyway to wisk away this week. You get the basic meat favorites like beef brisket (Chadol) and Bulgogi and really that's enough of a taste to get your feet wet here.

-=-Banchan-=- The insane amounts of banchan that they give here are well documented in the pictures. It's true, you get a ton, and you can just keep requesting your favorites. My faves ended up being the Fish meatballs, fish cake slices, and potato salad. I think I ended up requesting at least 4 more fish meatball servings. The sauce that they were in were so savory and flavorful.

-=-Service-=- What immediately differentiates Genwa from other KBBQ is the level of customer service. It really is on a whole new level that goes above and beyond that of the fanciest steak houses. Shane would be our main server, but that did not stop the other servers from coming and helping us cook our meat. With the attention that you receive here, the servers will not let you burn your meat and will basically take over the grill if you end up in a deep conversation (points to self). While this is a self-cook place, there was a period of time where Shane would stand over our grill and start cooking, cutting, and serving our plates. It really was full service to the max which made this one of my best experiences at a KBBQ restaurant.

• Genwa Korean BBQPro 2014
    Wanugee
    5 Mar 09, 2014

Came here again for the 4th or 5th time, and it is still one of the best KBBQ places in LA!

Is it the cheapest? No!
    There is a price war in K-Town, so you can find $9.95 AYCE if you look. But those aren't good and they skimp on banchan, and they are not really AYCE. Here, 4 large grown men, 2 of them Russian with huge appetites, ordered the Set course #E meal, and we were absolutely stuffed! $125 included Kobe beef, Galbi, Bulgogi, BiBimBap, Shrimp/Scallops, egg souffle, soup, salad, a gazillion banchan, the white raddish and egg wrappers, and more! That's $30 a head. Compare that to a steak by itself at Flemings A La Carte for $38 - $49! These meats at Genwa are already sliced for you, too!

Is it the nicest Ambiance? Maybe.
    Probably one of the nicest. Clean, modern, quality furniture, understated elegance like a nice Japanese restaurant, and the best bottom evacuating grills, unlike the overhead hood places that leave your pretty date smelling like smoked baby back ribs from your Weber grill! When you throw in the cute young servers here, that adds to it!

Is the service good? Absolutely!
    Anna, Holly, Angela, Sarah and "Buddha" Danny team served us throughout the meal with a smile and good energy! Getting us started, checking on us, cooking the meats, serving them to us, bringing more banchan, pouring Soju. In fact, Sara remembered me from when I ate there 1 year ago, and Danny remembered me from several months ago! Angela spoke Russian to my guests! And you can't find a better looking bunch of servers, too!

Is it the best?
    Well it is my favorite in Los Angeles. Especially for dates or business clients. I like it better than Soowon Galbi, the newer, popular place. Soowon has good meats, but it is more smokey, noisy, and congested for parking and the service isn't quite as good. Genwa is nicer than Shik Do Rak in Garden Grove (haven't been to the LA location yet), which is crazy crowded and less refined all around. It doesn't have as opulent a decor and private rooms as Go Goo Ryeo in Garden Grove, but has better food. It isn't as upscale and expensive as YongSuSon, but they serve a milder, traditional Korean meal.

Genwa is just a great all around KBBQ dining experience. I will keep going back for more when I am in Los Angeles.

travel33
    5 Aug 16, 2012

I've been to Genwa several times and each time I would give them a five star rating.

The combo dinner portions are quite generous. If you get a combo that feeds 3, it will easily feed 4 people. If you've been to Korean restaurants in the past, you know that they bring out a bunch of mini side dishes, usually 6 to 8 different ones. At Genwa you get about 20! No joke. Best of all each of the dishes were superb! These little sides are all you can eat. You can just ask them for more and they will refill it without any questions. Out of the meats my 2 favorites are the beef brisket and the short ribs. They are to die for!

I'm sure it's obvious that I loved the food. But what I love more than the food is the phenomenal service I receive each time I am there. EVERYBODY is so friendly and nice. It's not often that you go to an asian restaurant and get A+ service. I got A+++ service. I can't express enough how good everyone from the host, servers to the food runners are.

Parking is valet and it's around $3. This is my all time favorite Korean restaurant. I suggest you go NOW!

Betty N.
    5 Mar 09, 2014

**ONE OF THE BEST KBBQ JOINTS IN LA**

4.5 stars.

We waited for 15 minutes on a Sunday night (I called and got us on the list 30 minutes prior).

I brought a few KBBQ virgins with me.

Ambiance was fun, noisy, and casual.

Yes, I wore my Uggs (I'm from SaMo, gimme me a break) and felt fine.

ORDERED:

COURSE D (there were 4 of us) - $95

HOUSE SALAD
    BIMBAP (Choice of Kimchee, Dwenjang, or Bimbap)
    JAPCHAE
    GALBI
    KOBE
    KOT SAL
    SOJU

The banchan dishes were good. Fresh, quality, and damn tasty. My favorites were the potato salad and anchovies.

The quality of meats were SUPERB. Melted in YO MOUTH superb.

Loved the texture and spices of our brown rice bimbap! Mmm, delicious!

The service was excellent (thanks for the free soju shots)! Service was super fast and efficient. Every time a refill was requested, it was quick and friendly.

Clean and serene.

Prices were reasonable ($150 with tax and tip for 4 persons).

A great KBBQ joint to break in the first-timers.

GIT 'ER DONE.