Gjelina

1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice, CA 90291

Connie Pistilli
    5 Aug 12, 2013

Gjelina oozes hipster cool. And the food is mouthgasmic to boot. Best described as rustic new American, they try to use locally grown, organic and sustainable ingredients when possible. If you can score a hard-to-get reservation here, make sure you get the following:

*Mushroom toast with créme fraiche and truffle oil: OMG, I went straight to truffle heaven when I took a bite into this.

*Wood roasted cauliflower with garlic, chili, parsley & vinegar: Perfectly cooked with a nice kick!

*Pork meatballs with tomato sauce: The meatballs were delicious, and we polished off all the sauce with the crostini.

*(For dessert) Butterscotch pot de creme with salted caramel and creme fraiche: So velvety smooth and creamy, it was divine.

*(For drinks) The Long Walk Home: Their version of sangria - so yummy! As they only have a beer & wine license, they only serve two cocktails - this one and a champagne cocktail.

I didn't get a chance to try their pork belly, but it's also one of their really popular dishes. As my friend and I weren't too hungry, we stuck with the small dishes, but their pizzas and entrees all sounded and looked delicious. I'll definitely be back to try more off the menu, and if it's warmer out, we'll sit out on their patio (we were too wimpy and moved inside this time)!

Recommended for:FoodiesTrendsters
    Celeny Da Silva
    4 Oct 10, 2013

Gjelina is this new age America Restaurant showcasing naturally grown and simple cooked meals on an uber trendy ambiance. Most dishes are prepared with local fresh produce and served on tapas style. European rustic décor along with an eccentric chandelier adorn the dining setting. The service was standard. The wine selection is impressively diverse, however, the offerings by the glass are limited and lack in quality, and are incredibly overvalued.

Recommended for:Green TravelersTrendsters
    JR C
    4 Apr 28, 2013

You are now leaving the confines of the Mid-City luxury eating bubble. Good bye Hollywood, WeHo, Beverly Hills...yes that's right, my kitty, keep heading west. GQ named Abbot Kinney "The Coolest Block in America" so that pretty much means that the hipsters are migrating West. Next stop: Pacific Ocean!

You must call to reserve a spot. I had to make it 2 days in advanced for a group of 5. It's just that crowded. The atmosphere is trendy dark. Dates might be ok, but keep in mind that it's pretty loud in here. Most duo seating is across the table so there will be no thigh rubbing with your hunny's...footsies maybe if you're lucky.

-=-Tuscan Kale and Beets-=-
    Kale was light. Almost forgettable. I felt the same exact way about the beets. I wasn't a fan of these but some of the guys with me liked it. Maybe I was looking for something stronger in taste.

-=-Brussel Sprouts-=-
    OMG, these were so good. They might be IN, and only a fad, but truth be damned I am a brussel sprouts groupie. They burnt these in a certain way to make the char tasty, similar to how I enjoy crispy burnt marshmellows. Every bite of this was TDF.

-=-Mushroom Goat Cheese Truffle Oil Pizza-=-
    If you do Gjelina, you gotta get the pizza. The mushroom goat cheese truffle oil sounds pretty packed with flavor, but turns out it didn't compare to our other one below. It really did sound like a good idea though, but sometimes goat cheese can drown out other distinctive flavors in a dish. You might have noticed that all my dishes were meatless. Yep, my friends were nice enough to order all dishes without meat so I can honor my lent. That just means I have to come back, really.

-=-Garlic Chili Parmesan Pizza-=-
    This was it. Simple and tasty. Maybe garlic just hits the spot, so this one went down nicely. It's the kind of flavor that you expect from a high-end pizza place. At first glance, these pizzas were pretty ordinary looking. Maybe even a bit on the small side like a personal pan pizza. There's a fine line between fancy pizza and Dominos, but also keep in mind that Dominos will typically not score 4.5 stars in over 1500 reviews. Point delivered!

Christie Smith
    5 Jun 12, 2014

Great food, but don't expect to walk in and grab a table at dinner time. (Make sure you make a reservation.. They don't have a bar to have a drink while you wait.) It's overlooked for brunch, which is also great food. I've never had to wait (arriving before 1130.)

Recommended for:VegetarianLocal CultureTrendsters
    Margaret Seelie
    5 Jul 26, 2012

I ate here twice in three days. Gjelina serves exquisite fresh fare in a hip decor. The metal walls of the inner dining room are unique and elegant, while the sunny back patio offers a more laid back environment. The truffle potatoes are to die for! Gjelina is perfect for brunch, lunch, or dinner. If you're in a hurry stop by Gjeline To-Go next door.

Gene Koh

Got here at 9:30 on a Saturday night and still had to wait 45 minutes to get seated. However, the delicious food and hip atmosphere make it well worth the wait. Dishes are served tapas-style (small portions), so if you're hungry, you'll want to get something ordered immediately, then add to your order later. Perfect for date night or a good time with friends.

Jaime Lehman
    4 Jul 15, 2014

Loved the vibe, loved the atmosphere, loved the dessert (butterscotch pot de creme, oh how heavenly).

One thing I didn't love? The entree - a harissa chickpea stew, I thought it was just absolutely bland. How is it that I came to this amazing restaurant and managed to order the one thing from the menu they don't do well? Take Connie's advice, or come here for brunch on the weekend if you can manage to get a table - or be naughty, and just order a dessert!

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersTrendstersVegetarian
    Si Brown

Abbot Kinney Blvd. is a thoroughfare, man. Even accounting for the extent to which I’m inordinately impressed by almost everything out here, one could comfortably spend a whole day walking up and down it, inhaling its relaxed, retail/residential vibe, trying and failing to put into words precisely what it is that makes it feel so fucking cool to me. It represents a lifestyle, I guess. One to which there appears very little urgency but that, at the same time, inspires you to get busy living. Creating. And realising some goals. I’d love to feel as passionately about my high street.

Gjelina is at the corner with Milwood Avenue. Anthracite and angular on the outside, inside it’s utilitarian but with texture, functional but with flourishes. And fucking cool. It’s Monday and it’s humming. I’d been told to expect indifference from the hostesses but they were fine. Brisk but cordial, they advised us a wait of up to 30 minutes was likely before space would become available, and that it’d be at one of two communal tables that splay from the room’s island bar. As it turned out we were seated in barely 10, and at our own, but not before being furnished with drinks – a Bordeaux blend from Washington State’s Gilbert Cellars, and a Stone Brewing Co. Ruination IPA.

The menu’s a knockout. An object lesson in sourcing, there was loads about the largely vegetarian card to distract even the most rapacious carnivore. I’m an open-minded motherfucker, but the irregularity with which I eat out these days ( in the UK, anyway…) means that, given the option, I’ll more often than not regress to red meat. Such an obviously considered, cosmopolitan card as this though, is a real credit to the farmer’s market sensibilities of its creators. I could have pinned the tail on the donkey and been as unreservedly pleased with whatever I wound up with. Our approach was more measured than that of course, and the fact that what I ultimately wound up with was Meatballs, and then pizza with salami, is entirely incidental. K and I also shared a Tuscan Kale salad with shaved fennel, radish and ricotta, and the Squash Blossom pizza; a Cherry Tomato, Zucchini, Burrata and Parmesan number. I left thinking if only there were more high-end, accessibly priced places that could so effortlessly make green stuff look good, the healthier, more balanced diet I’d have, and the happier I’d be about the apparent need to pour pint after pint of IPA down after it.

This being LA, and Venice’s most boutique boulevard, the crowd at Gjelina was young and typically hip but with mature, well-to-do glimpses that continued to speak volumes as to its far-reaching appeal. And we met a vampire there. A charming Frenchman called Sebastien who played one on a TV show, anyway. Far from raving about a blue Niman Ranch, Flat Iron steak he’d just savaged, he was more batty about the Butterscotch Pot de Creme with salted caramel. Proof (in the pudding, of all places) that even bloodsuckers can bite down on something other than flesh and still feel the benefits.

• GjelinaCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Oct 17, 2013
    Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
    Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Jul 25, 2012

I came here for an early dinner and enjoyed the whole experience. Service was quick and the food was fresh and superb. The dough on their pizza is awesome!!

Anthony Jones
    4 Sep 04, 2012

Great restaurant focusing on small plates, although there are some entree sized options as well (see other reviews for a good description of dishes - the standout for us were the green garbanzo beans with feta and mint). Great wine list (I had an excellent pinot noir from Hungary). This place is super popular and it is wise to make a reservation well in advance although we showed up without a reservation and put our name on the list and left our phone number and walked around the neighborhood (which has plenty of stores to check out). They called us after about 45 minutes and were able to seat us at a communal table - which was fine. Really enjoyed the meal. My wife and I split 5 small plates, had a bottle of wine and the butterscotch pot de creme dessert and were out the door for about $150 (including tip).

Yenni Vance
    5 Jul 27, 2014

Gjelina is extremely popular with the locals for its swanky yet casual dining, fantastic seasonal menu and great atmosphere. While dinner reservations are hard to get, weekend brunch is more laid back with seating that’s first come first serve. Come early to avoid a long wait and maybe you’ll be lucky to snag a table in the lovely patio in the back. Breakfast items such as fried egg sandwich, poached eggs with beans and Moroccan baked eggs are nice takes on comfort food. Gjelina’s popular pizzas and tasty vegetable side dishes are also in the brunch menu. 1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Ingrid Katz
    5 Jul 24, 2014

Amazing restaurant! Yummy Food - not able to make any alteration or substitution on the food. Great vibe!

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife Lovers
    Sky L
    5 Apr 08, 2014

Gastropub receives national accolades. Small plates a specialty. Recommend all thin crust pizzas. Butterscotch pudding is not to be missed. Reserve early.

Stephanie J
    5 Feb 26, 2014

Fantastic for lunch, dinner or a weekend brunch. Chef Travis Lett's masterful cooking is always delicious. Reservations are a must at dinner. Request a table on the patio for the best experience.

ShowShanti
    5 Oct 31, 2013

This place has yet to disappoint me. Every time, it's been excellent food! All of it! Vegetarians can eat here without question. The salads are alive with unique mixes, but my favorite was the smoked wild trout with grapefruit and avocado. It's hard to share this salad, but with so many good things on the menu (terribly designed with leading too tight and all-cap serifed type, you nearly give up reading it!) you will order more to share. It's located on the hip Abbott Kinney. Make reservations for sure because the wait lost is merciless.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodiesGreen TravelersVegetarian
    Molly Matthieson
    5 Aug 16, 2012

It's tough to admit, but I think my favorite Los Angeles restaurant just might be on the westside. Gjelina deserves it though, they do everything right. So much so that it still takes weeks to get a decent reservation. Go for a special occasion, sit on the patio, and order the chic pea dish and really, anything. Voila!

Katy Logan
    5 Jul 14, 2012

This chic Venice spot is hard to find a seat at, but is well worth the effort. Short rib this and truffle that, Gjelina's menu is full of surprises each more decident than the next. I would dub this one the best dinner night out spots in LA, and it is not ridiculously expensive.

Jen H
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Decor of this place is fantastic with lots of natural lighting from the huge windows and high ceilings, great place for brunch with your girlfriends or family membrs that are in town. Service here is okay....while you're waiting for your table along the walls or outside (they don't seat u till your whole party is here), different servers will ask u if u wanted a beverage or not. I was asked literally 5x today! We were seated in the back, which was much quieter than the main dining area. The drinks came quickly, but the food took forever to come out. I didn't look @ the time, but I think it took well over 45mins for our food to come. The breakfast dishes here are about $15 on average. I got some poached eggs with Bacon with some stewed veggies (over salted) today.....it was just okay. The presentation of the food was excellent...texture was nice, but not a slam dunk.

What I would recommend here for certain is their ricotta lemon pancakes! It was delicious....I don't know what their secret is, but I love how its not too soggy. The fresh raspberries was a nice touche and they were sweet. Yum, yum! I will give this place another chance...their smoke salmon sounded so good! Service, our male waiter was sorta not all there. He wasnt friendly or rude, he just seem like he wasn't there. He forgot to bring coffee when my friend asked for a refill and he did not asked us if we have been @ the restaurant before or introduce the menu.....the menu is confusing. Half of the stuff on there I have never heard of, it would've been nice to get some recommendations. PS, you'll probably spot some celebrities here. Enjoy!

Jessica Busiashvili

The very best of Abbot Kinney... yikes that is a BOLD statement. So let me continue in my venture being BOLD. The food, amazingly savory, any foodies dream. Needless to say, that I have stayed up all night waiting for the morning to come just to get in for their brunch/lunch on the Back patio...is that a bit desperate? I guess a bit, but I must add that it gets sooo busy that your name will be drowned out on the list unless of course a reservation is made. Go for the mushroom truffle pizza for sure, brussles, and anything that is eye popping, its all good!

2,822 people visited Gjelina