I'm a former Bay Area resident, but have been living abroad for the past 6 years, only returning for short trips. Would like to make the most of an upcoming trip in the next few months. What would you recommend as new great places to eat and see for the visiting former resident?
Trip Plan Details
- Yoshi's San Francisco1330 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, CA, United Statesrecommended Yoshi's San FranciscoOne of my favorite jazz spots in the Bay Area. They are few and far in between but this one pairs it up with another personal favorite: Sushi. If you aren't here for a show, sit in the main area and ... read morewatch a live show while munching on any of their appetizers or main dishes. There is no loser on the menu at all!Recommended for:
- Tartine Bakery600 Guerrero St, San Francisco, CA 94110recommended Tartine BakeryAmazing pastries! Everything is great! My favorite is their Passion Fruit Lime Bavarian Rectangle. It is so light but full of flavor. It is a perfect place for afternoon tea, well, if you can find ... read moreyourself a seat that is. There is always a line outside the door whether it is mid-morning or late afternoon. However, it is well worth the wait.Ally Wu
Must go for desserts, well, if you like sweets.
- Limon Rotisserie1001 South Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110
- Commonwealth2224 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94110recommended CommonwealthI had an absolutely amazing experience at Commonwealth. The food, the ambience and the services are top notch. The food also brings food lovers together and it adds to the specialness of the ... read moreexperience as we actually had great conversations with fellow diners around us. My friend and I had a hard time deciding whether to go with the tasting menu or ordering a la carte. Finally, the table next to us convinced us to get the tasting menu and that was a great decision. For the first course, we had caviar with greens. It was like a beautiful art piece and I almost didn't want to eat it. The taste was as great as the look - very delicate and subtle. The second course was fioe gras coated in honey oatmeal. The serving size was pretty generous and the taste was out of this world. The came the carrots and radish spring salad, which was another looking. The main dish was rabbit. Next was a sorbet. The grand finale was a peanut butter chocolate bar with popcorn cream. I am not a big fan of peanut butter, but I adore this dish. All 6 courses for only $65! When I was eating, the words I heard most were "Wow" "Yum" "On My God". This is the restaurant that I can't wait to go back to.Ally Wu
One of my favorites in SF. I also moved away and I think about this restaurant all the time!
- Mikkeller Bar34 Mason Street, San Francisco, Californiarecommended Mikkeller BarQuite an amazing bar and restaurant with a seemingly endless bottle list. Their draft system is one of only 5 in the world and can mix CO2 or Nitrogen carbonation on the fly, so each beer can be ... read moreserved at the perfect temperature and carbonation. Great prices as well for the list of rare and strange beers on tap. Food was delicious as well, I would highly recommend this place for beer lovers!Allie Bollella
Lots of great food as well!
- Cervecería de MateVeza3801 18th Street, San Francisco, Californiarecommended Cervecería de MateVezaThis place is a little diamond in the rough I found right across from Dolores Park. They brew their own beer with Yerba Mate, making their beer not only alcoholic but caffeinated as well! Literally my ... read moredream come true. I would highly recommend trying their Morpho beer, an organic ale beer brewed with Yerba Mate, Hibiscus and Bay Leaves. Looking back I wish I had bought a bottle of it.
- Bottle Barn3331 Industrial Drive, Santa Rosa, Californiarecommended Bottle BarnWHAT - this place is like a beer mecca, not to mention the thousands of other kinds of alcohol they have lining their shelves. Super rare, funky, off the beaten path beers for extremely reasonable ... read moreprices. I'll just let the list of some beers I got speak for itself: Firestone 17th Anniversary Ale Speakeasy Syndicate No. 1 Russian River Supplication (3 bottles) Young's Double Chocolate Stout Brasserie Dupont Foret Organic Saison Bourbon County Brand StoutAllie Bollella
If you are heading up to Santa Rosa you should definitely check out this place, as I can tell you like beer :)
- Bear Republic Brewing Company345 Healdsburg Ave, Healdsburg, CA
- Roka Akor801 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, California
- Basque Cultural Center599 Railroad Avenue. South San Francisco, CA 94080
- The Plant Cafe Organic - Pier 3Pier 3, The Embarcadero, San Francisco, California
- Russian River Brewing725 4th Street, Santa Rosa, CA, United States
- VJB Vineyards-Cellars Tasting9077 Sonoma Highway, CA
- Mama's on Washington Square1701 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA 94133