Golden Era -- CLOSED

572 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco, CA

• Golden Era -- CLOSEDPro 2014

I seriously have driven 6 hours to eat the lemon (vegetarian) chicken here. Okay, well maybe I was visiting the city for other reasons too, but I absolutely try to eat here whenever I am in SF. I even booked a night in SF when I went on a Tahoe trip just so I would have a reason to eat here. I have picked food up here while rushing to get to the airport, only to have to hurry and eat it so TSA wouldn't think it was a bomb.

I have had a few of the dishes here and have enjoyed them all, but I have to have the lemon chicken. It's not exactly what I would have expected, it's a thin piece of 'chicken' in thick breading, as opposed to the normal hunk of 'chicken' with a bit of breading. But something about it is s o g o o d. And it's served on lettuce, which gets covered in the lemon sauce. Oh, how I love that lemon sauce.

There is another location (near cow hollow I think), I ate there once and it seemed to be the same recipe. This place has ruined lemon chicken for me. I have tried to order it at other restaurants (like bodhi tree in huntington beach), but as good as it might be, it's just not quite the same.

I only have about 2 months until my next trip to lemon chicken, I mean San Francisco. I even have Golden Era's phone number saved in my cell phone so I can call them to make sure they are open (they are closed on Tuesday, but I don't always remember that).

The restaurant itself is a little weird and I always feel out of place when I walk in, but the comfort the food brings quickly makes me forget anything else.

Recommended for:Vegetarian
  • Golden Era -- CLOSED

It was delicious. It's a shame that place is closed now:(

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesVegetarian
  • Golden Era -- CLOSED

You want cheap but, ahem, unique? How about this vegan/vegetarian Asian fusion restaurant in the heart of the grittiest neighborhood in the city, the Tenderloin? Try their soy chicken claypots or pan-fried 'fish' in a sweet ginger sauce.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersOutdoor EnthusiastsVegetarian
  • Golden Era -- CLOSEDPro 2014

You want something a little ... different? How about a vegetarian/vegan Vietnamese/Asian restaurant in the gritty San Francisco Tenderloin run by folks who are seemingly in a cult headed by a Vietnamese woman with a mass of dyed blond hair? Skip the pamphlets in the front doorway and head straight to the fake meat dishes. I'm not vegetarian, but some of these were better than the real deal. I could eat their vegetable dishes seven days a week.

Recommended for:Vegetarian
  • Golden Era -- CLOSED

Mock meat is a tasty treat, and it doesn't get any better than here at Golden Era. The menu is quite large and draws upon many mouth watering Asian cuisines, such as Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai to name a few. So now you can have your Mongolian "Beef" and Sweet and Sour "Chicken" without the guilt.

• Golden Era -- CLOSED

Three times now I've taken very nervous meat-eater to Golden Era, and all three times they've dragged me back there the next day for seconds!

• Golden Era -- CLOSEDCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014

On the table:

Cat says, "Meow."

Dog says, "Woof."

Cow says, "Moo, I will give you some milk."

Don't eat meat!

...

And so you enter a world that is not your own. Where up is down, and down is partially sideways... and the meat on your plate is "faux" of it.

I loved Golden Era the first two times, but not so much during the third. The Caramelized Chicken and Tamarind Beef are superb, however the Sweet and Sour Chicken is terrible. Mostly breading, which means mostly oil... and everything is salty, salty, salty.

I also question the cleanliness of the place. They were dropping straws on the floor and putting them back into dispensers. We heard the staff scream in the kitchen, then giggle, as if they saw something moving.

We didn't stay to find out what it was... because we wanted to eat here again. :-/

Ignorance is bliss.