Golden Gate Bakery

1029 Grant Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
Golden Gate Bakery

• Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

Large enough, just sweet enough and just flaky enough. Delicious, except if you like overly sweet stuff then this might not cut it.

$1.35 a tart as of this review. Quite expensive, but worth it. If you're stuck on parking, just drop someone off to line up to order the egg tarts and wait on the one way street until the cops show up.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

The "dan tat" is known as egg tart but not just any kind of egg tart, they have the best egg tarts in the US. Lines stretch and stay stretched for just this one delicacy piece of fruit pie looking dessert. So hot and sweet that it just melts in your mouth. Love coming here but make sure to come when they are open because the mom and pops that open it sure do love to go on vacation.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
  • Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

I can't believe I haven't already reviewed this place!!

This place should be a landmark in SF, because if you're from SF you already know....and if you're not from SF, you probably already know too!! They make THE BEST, i kid you not, THE BEST dan-tat (egg custard tart) known to mankind. The custard is light and fluffy, although super greasy, and the crust is so flaky its unbelievable (yelp.com/biz_photos/m3xd…)! During chinese new year, don't even try to come and get some because the line to list place is a mile long!! NO JOKE!

TIP: Make sure to call ahead if you're going to venture out to the boonies in Chinatown because they're known to close up shop for a month at a time when they go on vacay every year!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

It's apparently the place to go for mooncakes when Mid-Autumn festival of the Lunar calendar comes 'round. They are good, but I don't know about $5-7/each good. Perhaps I'm spoiled from getting them cheaply in China. The egg tarts here are *excellent* – flaky crust with deep, teeth-sinkingly satisfying custard. Grab the tarts to go and rush them home while they're hot or walk to Reveille cafe a block away to enjoy with a cup of coffee.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Golden Gate Bakery

One of the best Luxury boutique hotel I've ever stayed.
    We were surrounded by luxury, Elegant accommodations. This is a great find of a cute boutique hotel in San Francisco area. San Bruno (a quiet town) and only about 15 minutes from Downtown San Francisco.

The hotel is 5 years new and it is own by a local resident of the town. (was told). The staffs are so friendly and polite. No matter how many times you bother them for something, they keep a friendly smile and patiently answer all your questions and demands.

In the Lobby, there are complimentary Starbucks brewed coffee and Tazo teas. They also have fresh baked chocolate chip cookies that are out of this world delicious! Free wine reception at their relax in the fireplace lounge adjacent to the lobby. Mornings from 7-9:30am comes with free deluxe continental breakfast with a waffle maker, bagels. toasts, English muffins, oatmeal, cereals, Coffee, tea, milk, juices, fruits, etc.

The decor is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful. The rooms are spacious and comes with microwave, refrigerator, desk, hair dryer, pillow-top mattress, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. and sofa sleeper. They use Bath and Body works for hotel products. They also have an intimate Zen hotel spa that has a hot tub, sauna and massage chairs on the second floor.
    My only complaint is the Wifi. The reception is so horrible! :-(

If you have a car to commute in town, and do not want to spend $200-$300 a night for hotel stay in San Fransisco, staying here is the best option. You get the Luxury and convenience of a 4 star hotel. If I'm in town again, this will be my #1 option to stay. If I ever move up North, I will check myself in this Hotel a few times a year just to get some quiet and relaxation time. It's that peaceful!

• Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

I love egg tarts and when I asked around about places to go in San Francisco, Golden Gate Bakery was suggested to me. I was able to get to Chinatown via cable car from Union Square. The walk was short and I found myself out front. They don't allow photos inside so I took a photo of the storefront. The line was short when I arrived but quickly lengthened as I put my order in. I ordered 2 egg tarts and 2 BBQ pork rolls. I didn't see any egg tarts in the display case but the lady behind the counter assured me there were some in the back. All for $6.16! The place didn't look like it had a credit card machine so I paid with cash.

As I made my way down the block, I inhaled a pork roll and an egg tart. It was so very good. The BBQ pork roll was perfectly cooked with just a little sauce inside a pastry crust. It was flaky, golden, and buttery. The egg tart wasn't too sweet and the crust was flaky too. I didn't care how many calories it was because I knew I'd burn it off walking around the neighborhood. I saved the other 2 pastries for my cousin and she gratefully ate the pork roll before we headed out for lunch.

• Golden Gate Bakery

I cannot fathom how Golden Gate Bakery makes such insanely delicious baked goods. The place looks like someone's garage storage facility, but if you're churning out such damn good Chinese pastries, I'd be happy to have you serve it out of a cardboard box on the street.

The standout item that I'm sure you're very well knowledgeable of by now is their Custard Egg Tarts. I've lived in China and I've had Custard Egg Tarts all over the place, and I can swear on everything I hold dear that Golden Gate Bakery makes the best Custard Egg Tarts I've ever had. Better than anything I've had in China, better than anything I've had in any Chinese bakery or Dim Sum restaurant in California.

The trick to Custard Egg Tarts is to not make the custard part too sweet and to make the pastry part extremely flaky. Golden Gate has mastered this art. The custard has the perfect amount of sweetness and the pastry is unbelievably flaky. And the fact that they come out piping hot is the icing on the cake. Even after days of sitting on my kitchen counter, the lukewarm custard egg tarts are still better than most egg tarts out there.

I've also tried the Curry Beef Tart and the Char Siu Pork Tart, both of which are delicious. But the main event of Golden Gate is definitely their egg tarts, which completely steal the show.

One downside is that they seem to always be on vacation. There have been many times where I'd make the trek out to get a custard egg tart and I'd find out that they're closed for vacation. I guess when you're this damn good, you really can't care less if you take time off whenever you feel like it. More power to them, because no matter how many times I'm disappointed that they're randomly closed, I'll still be loyal as hell.

• Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

I'm not sure what I can add that the other reviews haven't covered, but I'll just support everyone else by saying that Golden Gate Bakery makes the best egg custard tarts and you should expect to wait in line when you visit. Worth it.

• Golden Gate Bakery

There was a line outside this place and I read reviews on yelp about their egg custard tarts. So I had to try them.

We waited in line and bought a dozen of those egg custard tarts and they were delicious. I'm a fan of custard tarts (eat them every time I go to dim sum)... and rating scale: this was 9 out of 10 for yummy goodness.

The only problem with this place was the customer service. I know they are probably so busy that they forget manners, but don't yell at me and it wasn't the asian "they sound like they are yelling", no it was the "what you want" and yeah, I was getting irritated. But then a nice old chinese lady helped me and we got our food and left. Deal with the old Chinese lady, not the middle aged ones!

The egg tarts was worth it!

• Golden Gate Bakery

The egg tarts are huge and tender with a flakey pastry shell. Plus they are very reasonably priced. Definitely a must try for egg tart lovers. Only downside is the long lines and the undependable store hours. Been twice where they were closed cuz they went on vacation. Boo!

• Golden Gate Bakery

people in the know come here for the chinese dessert egg tart. i didn't know this until noticing a particularly long line at this bakery every time i passed by. now i know. i'm no egg tart officionado, so i can't attest that this is the best thing i've ever eaten. or that it's even better than the ones served at Yank Sing or elsewhere. pretty darn good though. apparently the owners are often out of town and close up shop, so i wouldn't drive for hours just to go here without making sure they are open!

• Golden Gate Bakery

Golden Gate Bakery makes some of the most expensive Hong Kong/Cantonese style egg tarts around. And yet still some of the best.

Period.

Even Tai Cheong, Ex-Governor Patton's all time favorite in Hong Kong (although to be fair, TC's signature egg tarts are cookie dough crust, and of a different school) charges US$0.75 a piece. At $1.10 to $1.25 ish (forget the price these days) at GGB, making them the most expensive around town. The Rolls Royce of tarts. And with Portsmouth Square garage no longer charging 1990s era prices (literally $6 for half hour or more), this is quickly becoming a pricey luxury for many.

However they are the absolute best around, even if the multi layer flakey pastry crust is not the same as it was before (the word is that the original puff pastry chef passed away circa 2006/2007), but their egg yolk center receipe remains unbeatable to this day.

Yes, the location absolutely sucks...right in the toilet bowl territory of Chinatown that I detest.

The lines are sometimes long (but the wait is not terrible) like on weekends after 10 am, even on rainy days.

Other places may do a better flakey pastry egg tart crust, but fail on the egg yolk center.

But don't miss also:

- various eclectic savory flavors of mooncakes, especially during mooncake season.
    - "faht gwok bao" or "French bun". Nothing French about it, but it looks like a Super Mario mushroom, in a soft fluffy airy bun. Not bad.
    - almond pound cake....very buttery and calorific no doubt, but tasty.
    - pineapple bun.... probably the best around until you trek to Kee Wah in Dublin or Milpitas
    - banana mochi sticks ... a bit sweet but not bad

Skip the curry puffs or bbq pork puff.

Now if only these guys did a great HK milk tea. But no worries, a few great places around.

• Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

A three hours wait for half a dozen egg tarts and a box of mooncakes on the week before the Mid-Autumn Festival.

As I left the store I thought to myself I would never do that again. I knew I can easily find some nice mooncakes in any Chinese grocery stores or bakeries. Any of these places would be more than happy to have me as a customer.

I cut my first mooncake into 6 tiny slices. It was green bean paste with egg york, the only traditional flavor that I like. I took my first bite. The cake filling was perfect in every way possible - the sweetness, the flavor, the texture. I couldn't find any fault to this tiny little piece. It was so soothing and satisfying. I knew I would be sad when all the mooncakes are done.

Would I really not line up again next year? I was not so sure anymore.

• Golden Gate BakeryPro 2014

Dan tat heaven. Creamy and soft egg custard enveloped in a light, flaky pastry crust.

• Golden Gate Bakery

Easily the best dan ta ever.

609 people visited Golden Gate Bakery