Hakata Ramen Shin-Sen-Gumi

132 S Central Ave Los Angeles, CA 90013

Vegas and Food
    1 Jun 17, 2014

I did not like this place at all. Didn't like the broth at all. It had strong pork smell and flavor. Also fried rice was mushy. I also went to Sawtelle location, and it was better than this location.

Rodney S
    4 Mar 19, 2014

3.5 stars.

Like Burger King, ramen your way.

My first time having ramen w/o Top in it's name, or Instant Lunch or Cup Noodles for that matter.

I spent a lazy Sunday with a visit to Little Tokyo. After checking out the Japanese American National Museum & window shopping at the Japanese Village Plaza, we worked up impressive appetites and visited the famous Shin Sen Gumi for a late lunch. As previously stated, I'm a newbie to the ramen scene. Being the adventurous foodie that I am, ready & willing to experience new food adventures, I was more than game for a steaming bowl of the Asian delicacy.

Shin Sen Gumi was pretty busy when we arrived, but I used the time effectively by giving the ramen checklist a once-over. I chose-

Normal amount of noodles
    Normal thickness of said noodles
    Extra oil
    Strong soup base
    Cod roe
    Pig ears

The waitress called out my name, and we were quickly seated, but not before being welcomed with shouting, which everyone experiences entering & leaving. I gave my slip to the noodle nazi & was expecting piping hot goodness in a lil bit. Lo & behold, he said they were out of cod roe & pig ears. Awwwwwww..................

Alright, after a quick look through once more, I opted for poached egg & corn. A short wait later, it arrives.

Mmmmm, so good! I'm a pho slut, but I think I've found my new food crush. The soup was very rich, tasty & flavorful. I could taste the culture & history that comes in every bowl. I love the fact that ramen can be made with different ingredients. I desperately want to try ramen with cod roe & pigs ears during my next visit. Other toppings include spicy miso & various cuts of meat. In addition, the toppings are served on the side so patrons can share if they want to. I hastily slurped up every last drop of ramen, my bulging stomach be damned!

Why 3.5 & not 4 stars, you say? It's the shouting. At first, greeting & thanking every customer with shouting is cute, novel & part of the charm of dining here, but after the 10th time, it becomes quite annoying. Shin Sen Gumi is loud enough already with customers talking & the pop music playing. The shouting makes dining here a potential migraine-inducing experience. I'm assuming the staff must have sore throats & coarse voices by closing. I know I would.

I enjoyed having my first bowl of ramen at the famous Shin Sen Gumi. All the variations of ramen available for me to experiment with has me giddy with anticipation. Can't wait to come back for the cod roe & pig ears

Sorry pho, I've found a new love!

Highly recommend!

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesStudentsTrendsters
    Albert Qian
    5 Jan 27, 2014

Shin-Sen-Gumi is one of the top 10 ramen places in Los Angeles according to LA Weekly, and at #10, it's ranked a little low. SSG is several things, namely authentic, but also savory, tasty, and filling. Whether you get the bento box or a separate bowl of ramen, you get the bang for your buck and beyond. Come in, put your name down, sit in and eat to your heart's content!

Kevin Cheng
    5 May 10, 2014

A bit larger and more upscale than the Gardena location and I'm happy to report it's just as tasty! Parking is easy next door at the Staples parking lot and they validate so it'd be free.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodies
    Susan Lee
    5 Mar 30, 2014

This is a great place to get a big bowl of ramen to satisfy your craving. The pork broth is great, but even better with a little spicy miso added in. Don't forget the green onions and the sesame seeds. Be sure to save some of the broth so you can get extra noodles for just $1 more. I like to go for lunch because they have combos with the ramen, like dumplings, rice balls, or spam musubi. The lunch combo price is less than the dinner price of a bowl of ramen, so definitely worth it. This new location in Little Tokyo is much more spacious than the one in Gardena, so although there’s usually a wait, it’s not that long. The service here is also very good, so turnover is quick. Park in the parking lot with Office Depot and get validation for up to 2 hours.

May W
    4 Feb 25, 2013

Ramen is my go-to food after a long run. Shin Sen Gum I is conveniently located in a large plaza that boasts 3 hours of free parking w validation. This fact alone makes SSG more attractive than its competitor Daikokuya. I always order a flavored egg to go w my full order of Hakata ramen. Most of the time the egg is flavorful, but there has been times when I barely tasted any seasoning. During my last visit, I added a side of pork belly chashu for an extra $2.50. Portion was small, but it was still worth it. I didn't really like how the meat was cold, but it was OK after I dumped it into my soup. The fat really just melted in my mouth and coated my mouth w oil. Yuuum! I enjoy coming to SSG right when they open since seating gets filled up quickly after the open. Staff is very polite, but sometimes needs to pay closer attention to customers trying to flag them down.

JR Cajigas
    4 Dec 24, 2012

Shinsengumi is pretty well known to the ramen loving crowd. This location is one of the most recent additions to the chain and it is also just as crowded. Some nights you may find yourself lucky and have less than a 5 minute wait, but most of the nights I come here, I almost always have at least a 20 minute wait. You can pretty much judge it by the crowd waiting outside in the cold.

Hikari was our server for this night. We were half drunk, but ready to drink more. Although there was a bit of a Japanese language barrier when ordering, the food just felt that much more authentic. Hikari was still super attentive and was already amused at our sake dropping ways.

-=-Hakata Ramen-=- For a franchise, the ramen here is just delicious. You get options for your noodles, strength of your broth, and also additions to add. I always get my ramen hard and my soup strong. I also add extra meat and egg to the mix. It ends up being an almost ten dollar bowl of ramen, but it's definitely much tastier. At my first sip, I was definitely loving it. It was the strong soup base that did it. Do yourself good and get it strong. Another tip is that you can always request to add more noodles to your broth when you run out for a nominal but smalll fee of course. I think I'm gonna get some now. Cold night.

Jin Yoo-Kim
    5 Dec 06, 2012

i love this ramen joint. I love daikokuya too but when i feel like a lighter broth, and less cramped space, i come here. i've deflowered many ramen virgins here.

Richard P
    4 Sep 04, 2012

Hakata Shin-Sen-Gumi is on of my favorite places to get ramen. I took my mom there last week before catching a show at the Ahmanson Theatre. Given the option of all the restaurants in Little Tokoyo my mom chose Shin-Sen Gumi.

Parking:
    Parking can sometimes be a pain. There is a parking lot at the OfficeMax or you can try finding street parking. Another option is to park at the Japanese Village parking across the street. I think after 5 PM it is a flat rate of $7.

Food:
    The food is delicious. Definitely one of my favorites! What stands out for me is that noodles. I think they have the best noodles. I think Daikokuya which is nearby has better topping, but Hakata wins when it comes to noodles. I loved it so much that I go a refill of noodle, which is only 95 cents!

Service:
    Excellent service. We came around 530PM and there was no wait. We were quickly seated and the servers were extremely attentive. Water were refilled quickly and they constantly came back to check up on us. They even offered 2nd and 3rd refills to my noodles,before I even asked.

Definitely a great place to get some ramen. A bit small, but come early enough to avoid the wait. Hakata is a great alternative to Daikokuya if that wait gets too long. It's literally just a block away.

Ben Wu
    4 May 07, 2014

absolutely love it here they have some new items like pork skin that I really love!

Ryan Fung
    4 Dec 04, 2013

A popular choice for late-night owls in Little Tokyo.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Oct 21, 2013

Customized ramen! Such an awesome concept. Great place for a casual meal with friends.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureStudents