Handsome Coffee Roasters

582 Mateo Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013, United States

• Handsome Coffee RoastersPro 2014
    Queenie Ito
    3 Jun 06, 2014

I'm a little sad that I'm reviewing Handsome Coffee Roasters at 3.5 stars. I thought that after hearing such great things from friends and fellow yelpers that I would be WOWed by this place like I was when I first tasted Vivace. Sad to report back to home base that I feel kind of meh about this spot.

Their espresso beans are very good; smooth yet bold. But for the hefty price tag attached, I would much rather take a short block over to my So Cal favorite: Stumptown. For 2 12oz iced lattes I paid $10.25! YIKES! Also, i happen to be one of those people who prefer a milk alternative as opposed to Handsome's organic whole milk. They also politely decline modifications. There's no simple syrup, sugar packets -fake nor raw-, half and half here folks. But I do like that part, the fact that they are keeping it simple and basic. Often people don't try their drinks before adding in all these other unnecessary things into their already perfectly crafted drinks. Here at Handsome, they are just trying to get people to see the beauty in the espresso/coffee itself, and I love that. However, I like that all these cafes offer milk alternatives such as rice, soy, almond, and hemp milk. I also am a little unhappy with the whole 12oz being the only size for iced drinks. I for one love my latte to last a long time and its awfully hard to fit my 8 shots of espresso, ice, and milk [alternatives hehe] in a 12oz cup booboo!

So for me, although I appreciate all that Handsome is doing, I can't keep paying $5+ for a small 12oz iced latte with a milk I don't prefer. But I do suggest you try it yourself, it might be more geared towards your taste.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversLuxury Travelers
    Lisa
    3 Jul 09, 2013

I inadvertently encountered this awesome coffee shop getting lost on my way through the bridge over the Los Angeles River. I returned the next day for a delighted cup of coffee. I love the interior of the coffee shop with plenty of high bar stools to sit and read a book or the morning paper. The coffee however was not a drip over or made to order. Instead, the coffee came from a thermos and extremely overpriced at $4 a cup.

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    3 Jun 12, 2013

I admit, I only recently got into coffee so I may not be the best judge of coffee. But I am an avid patron of coffee shops! I'm drawn to the relaxed atmosphere they often provide. Handsome Coffee definitely offers that with its laid back staff and eclectic tunes. The drawback? They have very limited pastries and they don't have wifi.

Josh Moody-Arndt
    5 Oct 03, 2012

Awesome coffee shop and roasting plant in the arts district. It's all about quality and they keep it simple. Coffee or coffee + milk.

Totally out of the way so you will probably miss it unless going intentionally, but if you love coffee and appreciate people who take it seriously you've gotta try it.

Siao Jer
    4 Mar 02, 2014

Debating between a 3 and a 4 star.. where is the dam 3.5 star button! Had the iced coffee here.. very well made (though I still like my demitasse kyoto style iced coffee more!)

Kudos for a friendly staff, bonus points for the high tech iPad checkout system, and way cool for the see through glass that lets you peek into the roasting room. Decor is really fun too.

What's holding me back? No small bites when we went (looks like they just ran out), no wifi, the no sugar/sweetener thing! The small bites is probably something they'll iron out after working out their kinks, and hopefully wi-fi is something they'll consider down the road..

About that no sugar / sweetener thing.. yes, I see that you guys want to be very purist with none of the fru fru stuff that "other places" offer and I can commend that. I actually do like my iced coffee black nowadays, but think about your 7th and grand scotch specialty bar, or a ruth chris steakhouse. Those places are obviously specialized in something; but they'll still have a beer and/or cocktail menu on the sides for the less scotchy folks, or a tasty salad or roast chicken for the less red meaty types right?

I'm starting to learn more about coffee, but don't want to only be able to come here with specific aficionado friends! it's a great place-- so i'll give it a four now with these points of potential improvements and considerations~

Kyle Murphy
    5 Dec 20, 2012

Best Coffee in LA right now!

Weston N