commented on this trip
SF ski hill is great. rent a car. los alamos is awesome too-- bandelier. drive thru the jemez. check out view at white rock. eat breakfast burritos christmas style. cowgirl's cafe has a good green chile cheese elk burger..Comment.5 months ago. Report
- Kit Carson Home and Museum113 Kit Carson Road, Taos, NM, United Statesrecommended Kit Carson Home and MuseumI loved this place as a kid. Kit Carson was one of the more colourful figures of the American West and the Museum is a great testament to his life and times!
recommended TaosTaos is great for the local art, ceramics, and amazing pueblo buildings. Also has terrific skiing in years where it gets enough snow. Playground near Santa Fe.
recommended Los AlamosI really liked Los Alamos National Labs when I visited them as a kid who was into physics and national security and Feynmann. They do a good job of commemorating the Manhattan Project.
- Bandelier National Monument15 Entrance Road, Los Alamos, New Mexicorecommended Bandelier National MonumentInteresting mostly because it's near Los Alamos and has a campground, but there are some nice trails. Can be very crowded in season but also good for cross-country skiing.
- Motel 6 Santa Fe Plaza-Downtown646 Cerrillos Road, I-25 Exit 282 to Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501recommended Motel 6 Santa Fe Plaza-DowntownWe've stayed at this motel twice this year and loved it both times. It's cheap, nice, accepts pets, in close proximity to downtown, walking distance to some good vegetarian restaurants an just ... read moregenerally central to everything you could want to do in the area. Our cat loves the huge bed and in the evenings its great for spreading out with a pizza and watching a movie. The internet is so-so, tv is old, but why would we travel to stay at the hotel and watch TV or judge a cheap hotel on the quality of its perks? We were out all day hiking most days and came back to an undisturbed room and cat as the housekeeping is awesome about just leaving you alone if you want to be. Housekeeping is also really friendly, smiley and says hi but in general we never have to ask for or need anything while there. Motel 6 is always our hotel and this ir probably our favorite one.Nerds on the Road
We always stay in this hotel because they take pets, are affordable, can get food delivered and is within walking distance of lots of fun things. :)
commented on this trip
We like walking around downtown and checking out all the galleries and shops. Otherwise we leave town and find places to hike, our favorite being Bandelier National Monument.
- Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon3451 Hyde Park Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87501recommended Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the MoonIf you've got a car in Santa Fe and love hot springs, make a reservation to visit this mountain onsen (Japanese-style hot-springs spa) tucked among the juniper and pinon pine trees on national forest ... read moreland. Take your pick of public communal or private hot tubs for your soak, followed up by a massage or herbal body wrap.Sara Benson
If you've got a car, this is worth the drive. You don't necessarily need a car in Santa Fe if you stay near downtown - most things are walkable, even in February (as long as there's not too much snow). But if you want to explore, or take a day trip to Taos, then renting a car is handy. Most of the boutique and luxury hotels and inns are scattered around downtown, with cheaper motels and hotels on the outskirts.
- Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa50 Los Banos Rd, Ojo Caliente, NM 87549recommended Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and SpaA retreat/resort spot in the middle of the desert, catering to spiritual healing through mineral baths and massage. Looks like is costs a bundle to stay at, but they do have some barren campgrounds ... read more(with electrical hook-ups) right outside the gate where you can crash, and then buy a day pass to the mineral springs for like 20 bucks. Super worth the money. The have all kinds of different mineral baths, hot tubs, mud to smear all over you, a large swimming pool, and plenty of sun chairs for lounging. Do it!Nomadic by Nature
I would rent a car and go here.