Homeroom

400 40th Street, Oakland, CA

Jenn B
    4 Jul 10, 2014

Lipid heaven. So much cheese, so little time. This mac n cheese restaurant dishes up customized bowls of piping hot, ooey gooey macaroni and cheese. The portions are generous, but the wait is long, so avoid this place if you have a big group. They also take orders to go, so beat the wait and enjoy this comfort food from the comfort of your own home.

Recommended for:FoodiesStudentsTrendstersVegetarian
    Kelly G.
    5 Jul 09, 2014

Wow - Hawaiian (w/tomato) was delicious. Truffle (w/artichoke heart) was also delicious. Everything was also described deliciously.

3 of us shared the 2 mac and cheeses and were stuffed, with leftovers.

Service was great. No Amex card. Street parking. Can get busy, so be prepared for a wait. Maybe buy their cookbook and make it at home if you can't wait?

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureTrendstersVegetarian
    RB in SF
    4 Jun 30, 2014

I could eat here every day and never get tired of it - so many options and toppings, plus really great service. The lines can get long, but it's well worth the wait.

Steph Uniacke
    4 Apr 11, 2014

Homeroom was my go - to for Gluten free pasta when I was part - time Paleo. Mac n Cheese will always be one of my favorite dishes, and I'm glad they've been able to preserve the classics while also reinventing the wheel. My favorite is the Gilroy mac -loaded with garlic!

Recommended for:TrendstersFoodies
    Owie
    4 Mar 06, 2014

Being in the 21st century, my high school did not have homeroom class and I'm cool with that.

After watching the cooking channel, they featured Homeroom as one of the best places to get mac n cheese, so automatically it was on my "to go" list. I had a takeout order of Mac the Goat with added bacon.

One thing we can agree that the best part of mac n cheese is the crunchy, crispy, cheesy topping. Somehow, Homeroom failed to deliver. Instead, the crumb formed a soft soggy texture. The goat cheese was flavorful, but it did not give a rich creamy buttery texture. I'm so glad adding the bacon in the mac n cheese makes everything thing taste better.

I also ordered the creamy peanut butter pie with delicious graham cracker crust. I'd suggest sharing this ultra rich pie with someone or else you'll be PEANUT-OUT!!!

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureStudents
    Eric Brink
    4 Feb 09, 2014

My experience with Homeroom has so far been limited to 2 take-out mac and cheese orders initiated by my Son's Grandmother on our behalf when we've come to visit. Both times have been a huge hit and with plenty of leftovers to take home. My Son is especially partial to the Smokey Bacon Mac, while I'll basically eat any Comfort Food made here that is front of me.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
    Trinity
    5 Dec 04, 2013

Do you like Mac and Cheese? Then this place is for you! It's mac and cheese heaven. From classic mac and cheese to creative mac and cheese specials, you won't leave hungry.

The hubby and I ordered roasted brussel sprouts, a pitcher of beer, garlic mac and cheese, and the weekly special "butter me up" made with butternut squash. We added bacon to both orders for an extra $2 and the hubby also added bread crumbs for $0.50. There were many add-ins to choose from, but we couldn't resist the bacon. Plus it was recommended on the menu to add bacon. We liked how each mac and cheese had an add-in, wine and beer recommendation on the menu. It helped make our decision with what to drink and how to best order.

We loved everything we ate. The brussel sprouts were lovely and nicely roasted, while the mac and cheese dishes were creamy, rich and irresistible. We liked how the pasta elbows were large, in comparison to small elbows found from a boxed mac and cheese. The pasta was also cooked firm and did not taste mushy.

Homeroom does not take reservations and everyone in the party must be present to be seated.

Recommended!

Recommended for:FoodiesFamily TravelersStudentsVegetarian
    Grace C.
    3 Dec 06, 2012

Ended up being able to come here during lunch while in town. My coworker told me about it and we drove to the place. Parking isn't that fantastic since it's street parking, but we lucked out and found a place immediately.

Since it was lunch time - we had to take it to go because we had already gone on another errand before we headed here to get lunch.

I ordered the Trailer mac - has hot dogs cut up in it, with potato chips crunched on the top. I added broccoli. My friend got the smokey bacon mac. They have gluten free options. There are options with "add ons" like the broccoli I got in mine. We both loved it, but we did both comment that the portion size was rather large. We could have easily split one between us. I also felt like I should have had something else to eat with my mac and cheese. But I guess that's just me.

We both ordered dessert - I got the banana pudding and she got the homemade salted oreo. Both great desserts. I wished my banana pudding had more bananas though.

I loved the decor inside, they really tried to get you back into the school feel. In the bathroom, they had old school pictures of different people.

Service was great.

Cute place, a bit far from our office - since it was easily a 5-10 min drive. I wouldn't mind heading there with a few folks and sharing the different macs

Traci

Delicious, simple concept for a restaurant -- a few types of Mac and cheese that you can customize with breadcrumbs, bacon or veggies. My favorite is the gilroy (obviously garlic infused Mac and cheese). Portions are dense, so I couldn't finish mine, but that just benefitted the people I was with! Desserts are also good!

Mike G

Amazing Mac and Cheese! I tried the spicy Mac and cheese and the classic. The spicy was very good, but the classic is perfect. Can't go wrong either way.

Chere H
    5 Jan 08, 2014

Gotta love a place that just does mac n cheese!

Recommended for:FoodiesVegetarian