Hostelling International San Francisco (Downtown)

312 Mason St., San Francisco, CA 94102

• Hostelling International San Francisco (Downtown)Community ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    5 Feb 07, 2014

When I spent a month backpacking down the East Coast, I stayed almost entirely in Hostelling International hostels (Boston, Manhattan, DC and Virginia Beach). It was only in New Orleans that I didn't. None of those HI properties look as nice as the Hostelling International in downtown San Francisco.

This is simply a great property. The building is nice, the staff are super cool, they have tons of events, the location is very good and the amenities are surprisingly abundant.

Unlike other hostels, this one is very professional. It's not a "party hostel," we were assured. This is a place appropriate for families and older people as well. The building is secured and they provide everything you'd need in a stay (yes, including a kitchen and free Wi-Fi).

Recommended for:BackpackersBudget TravelersBusiness TravelersStudents
    Connie Pistilli
    4 Aug 19, 2013
    Recommended for:BackpackersBudget TravelersStudents
    Donna H
    4 Apr 23, 2013

I've had great and horrible experiences in hostels abroad and in the US, so it's refreshing to see a hostel that cares about 1. security 2. noise 3. providing good service to young and old travelers alike. Located in the heart of downtown, HI Downtown SF is convenient, affordable and renovated within the last 4 to 5 years.

They have 2 floors of private rooms (great for families) and the rest of remaining rooms are dorm-style rooms with a maximum of 4 beds to a room. They have a self-serve fully-equipped kitchen, free continental breakfast, 24 hour reception, free Wi-FI, computer/lounge area, laundry services, and lockers/ luggage storage.

The array of activities are also available to guests, including local pub crawls, walking tours, trips to napa, hostel dinners, and movie nights, so it's a great way to explore the city and meet other travelers if you happen to be traveling alone. They also provide free earplugs, but specified that they were a non-partying kind of hostel. I imagine it would be for snoring roommates and/or possible street noise since it is in the heart of downtown San Francisco. It's a great option for a budget-friendly stay that's so close to everything.

Austin Szu
    4 Mar 22, 2014

I'll admit it. I'm a cheap Asian. Not with everything, but just certain things. Normally whenever I travel, I typically will pick destinations where I know someone and am able to stay with them. It seriously saves you a lot of money over getting a hotel. However, when it comes to San Francisco, I actually don't know or keep in contact with anybody enough to be comfortable to ask them "hey, can I crash for a couple of nights?", but of course that still didn't stop me from giving it a shot the week before I was supposed to head up. All I required was a roof over my head at night and a shower in the morning. Is that too much to ask? I wasn't able to find anyone, but the night before I leave, someone actually suggests renting a hostel because it's really cheap.

What?? A hostel?

Now I had heard all the negative things about hostels; they they're dumpy and dirty and downright dangerous. Or can be anyway. But someone who tries to keep an open mind, I google hostels in San Francisco. The several that I pulled up and looked at actually weren't too bad, so I give it a shot. I narrowed it down to 2. One that was closer to the Mission District, and this one. Both were cheap, being under $30/night. I ultimately picked this one because the other one apparently was for traveling non-US citizens and required an international passport to check-in, but also because it was in the middle of town in Union Square/Tenderloin and was a mere 3 blocks to the Powell BART station. $25/night + $3/night for non-members. That works for me. I book it for 2 nights, print out my confirmation, and slept easy that night.

The place itself was pretty clean and old apartment building-ish, but not dumpy. Check was in was pretty easy. I was actually a couple hours early, but considering there was no one currently occupying the room, he let me go ahead and check in. He gave me sheets and I paid for my 2 nights. $4 additional dollars for a pad lock. The room itself resembles a little bit of a dorm room, but without the desks. Or dressers. Or closets. Well, there was one closest with 4 lockers in it. That's what the pad lock is for. The 2 bunk beds are unfortunately assigned bedding, and I was given the top bunk. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could have asked them if I could have a bottom bunk, but as cheap as I was paying, I just let it slide. The locker is about the size of a school locker, just barely big enough to fit my duffle bag, but I couldn't get my camera bag in there as well. If it was taller, yes, but these weren't that tall. The bed itself was ok. It wasn't the most comfortable bed you'll find, but trust me, I've been on worse beds before. The room had a beautiful view of.... Mason St and O'Farrell... yeah, not much to see. The rest of the building seemed pretty cool. On my floor there was a theater, which I didn't go take a peek at, and there were a couple of lounges/living room areas on a other floors.

The main shower (which actually was right next to our room), was enormous. It easily could have been another bed room. In fact, it probably could have been a bed room with it's own bathroom. There was another shower only bathroom just 10 feet away.

Luckily for me, over the 2 nights I stayed there, there was only one other guy in the room, a 30something guy from London making his way through our side of the pond. Nice guy though. I met him briefly when I came in the first night and he was already kind of asleep. The only other time I saw him was the morning I left. But yeah, it was just the 2 of us for both nights. I can only imagine what a full room would have been like.

The only thing was I couldn't get WIFI in the room. I either had to go downstairs to the lobby or outside in the hallway next to the elevator.

Considering this met my 2 requirements without any hassles or problems.... I'd consider this again. And no, never was my experience like this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMQM4m2qpwA

Sweetl Sweetl
    5 Feb 07, 2014

awesome

Showing Lowest Prices

Generally considered to be a well-mannered and accessible branch of the Hostelling International chain, the Downtown hostel is not only conveniently located but offers private rooms, free breakfast and Wifi to boot.

Good!205 reviews across the web.

• Hotel Building
      100% enjoyed the lobby entrance.
    • Food
      95% found the breakfast to be wonderful.
    • Service
      90% found the staff to be very friendly.
    • Ambiance