Hostelling International USA
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to? Join now
- 98%Budget Travelers
- 62%Adventure Travelers
Member Reviews (7)Write a review
- Hostelling International USAMember ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFoodies+ 2Feb 18, 2014
Chicago doesn’t have as many hostels as other international hubs, but hostels also aren’t as popular in the states as they are abroad. It makes sense then that this hostel is much larger than most European hostels. Seriously, this thing is big. There’s a downstairs seating area by the lobby, and a cool flag display hangs over the stairs leading to the second floor. In the guest area, there’s an information desk that comes in handy for international travelers, a computer room, a smaller reading room, a large dining area, and even a game area that has a pool table and a ping pong table. Rooms are pretty standard for hostel, so no surprises there. The only thing visitors may gripe about is the location—though it’s near downtown points of interest such as Millennium Park, there’s not a lot of nightlife in the immediate vicinity. Those looking to party should head out to Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, River North, or the bohemian-leaning Wicker Park and Logan Square.Recommended for:
- Hostelling International USAMember ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersFoodies+ 2Jan 19, 2014
Walking into HI is like walking into the common area of a college dorm. On one side is a small cafe, on the other is the reception area and a large common area with several different seating areas, some couches, some high top tables and stools. It's very welcoming, despite the somewhat impatient staff. This hostel has all the amenities you could need: a kitchen, locker room, free wifi, a TV room, complimentary breakfast. It seems very clean and safe. It's also very close to a lot of the downtown colleges, so there's plenty going on when you head out into the neighborhood.Recommended for:
- Hostelling International USAMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBudget Travelers+ 10Apr 16, 2013
This is the first hostel that I've ever visited but it was much nicer than I suspected. Plenty of space and located in downtown Chicago there are numerous resources to help you enjoy your stay.
- Hostelling International USAFirst to ReviewApr 16, 2013
This hostel is by far one of the best I've ever stayed in. Located in the downtown core, central to a lot of the activities in Chicago, HI Chicago is better than any motel 6 I've stayed in. Very affordable rooms, excellent security, very sociable staff, and the cleanest hostel I've stayed in within North America.
The hostel is very modern and trendy compared to many of the hostels in North America.Recommended for:
- Hostelling International USAMember ofLocal CultureOutdoor EnthusiastsBackpackersApr 16, 2013
This is the nicest hostel I've ever stayed at! It's huge and has a lot of amenities including TV room, pool tables, activities desk, free breakfast. Most of staff were courteous and it seemed like they were constantly cleaning. The hostel also offers free tours and discounts on attractions. Good location, right by Grant Park. The only thing that sucked was that my room was right by the train tracks.
- Hostelling International USA
Excellent!1731 reviews across the web.
- Guests recommend this hotel for budget travelers.
- Guests recommend this hotel for solo travelers.
- LocationNear to public transport, according to 100%.
- PriceExcellent value for money, said 100%.
- Ambiance97% enjoyed the friendly atmosphere.
- Service91% found the staff to be very friendly.
- HotelHotel is great.
- Hotel BuildingVery nice building.