Hotel Chelsea -- CLOSED
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to?Join now
- 98%History Buffs
- 51%Budget Travelers
Member Reviews (7)
- Hotel Chelsea -- CLOSEDMember ofHistory BuffsOutdoor EnthusiastsFoodies+ 1Jul 04, 2012
A legend, now closed pending re-development and thus a chapter closes on the city's cultural history. I stayed here the first time I ever visited New York back in the 1980s. The colour scheme was best described as nicotine yellow, the accommodations basic and the bathrooms made you feel inclined to skip washing. But where else could you run into Andy Warhol, William Burroughs, Quentin Crisp, see the room where Arthur C. Clare wrote '2001' and countless other less well known cornerstones of bohemian Manhattan? If you're lucky enough to see a re-run of it (don't think it's available on DVD) the BBC's Arena series did a fantastic documentary in 1981 immortalising this place and what made it special. The hotel was sold in August 2011 and closed its doors for the last time later that month. But the legend lives on in my memory.
- Hotel Chelsea -- CLOSEDJul 04, 2012
The Chelsea Hotel might be the most famous hotel in the world and yet it’s still not over priced and made to order for d-bags. It’s where Sid killed Nancy, where Leonard Cohen had a short fling with Janis Joplin, where Dylan Thomas was staying when he died, and at a home to many of the important artists of the 20th century at some point or another. It’s also a fine piece of architecture both inside and out. And what’s cool is that depending on the feel you’re going for, you can get a room that’s barely been updated since the 1940’s or one that is totally contemporary for modern times.
Mediocre37 reviews across the web.
- LocationTerrific location. 97% of the guests loved it.
- PriceGreat price. Appreciated by 88% of guests.
- Hotel Building80% enjoyed the lobby entrance.
- HotelHotel is nice enough. 78% of guests gave positive feedback.
- AmbianceNice ambiance. 71% of guests gave positive comments.
- RoomRooms are ok. Only 67% of guests had positive things to say about it.