Hotel del Coronado
Tribes: Who likes this place?
What the scores mean:
These scores tell you how well-liked a place is in each Tribe. Gogobot Tribes are groups who share a certain travel style, like Family Travelers or History Buffs.
Which Gogobot Tribe do you belong to? Join now
- 98%History Buffs
- 88%Family Travelers
- 86%Luxury Travelers
- 74%Art & Design Lovers
- 70%Local Culture
- 68%Business Travelers
- 64%Outdoor Enthusiasts
Member Reviews (93)Write a review
- Hotel del CoronadoCommunity ManagerAmbassadorMember ofLocal CultureBudget TravelersBusiness Travelers+ 6Jul 21, 2014
Gorgeous view and one of the top hotels in all of San Diego. Weddings are held here all the time and various celebrities and presidents have stayed here. At one time it was the largest hotel resort in the world.Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoAmbassadorMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 9Jul 14, 2014
Wow! This hotel is absolutely stunning. It costs and arm and a leg to stay as a guest, but even if you aren't, it's worth it to go inside and explore the history. We walked in from the beach by one of the restaurants. Just inside, beyond the restaurants is a set of bathrooms. Off in one of the small halls is a set of display cases telling the story of Hotel Del's beginnings, history, and how it was almost taken down. Now it's a historic landmark with celebs like Marilyn Monroe as previous guests and former presidents have also hosted grand events here.
During summer, you're bound to come across at least one wedding. When we were here, a crew hauling things into one of the ballrooms for a reception. I wandered to the entrance for a peek. It's going to be a grand wedding.
You'll also want to go to the main lobby. The dark wood stairs as you wander through the hall is beautiful. When you reach the main hall, take a in the high, latticed ceiling. And the elevator! I wish I could have actually taken a ride; I was afraid to ask. It's an old school elevator that still works, with a human elevator operator inside!
One day...I'd love to stay at the hotel for a night...Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 9Oct 20, 2013
Amazing historical hotel on Coronado. Sight of the movie 'Some like it Hot' with Marilyn Monroe. This is a great place to stay when coming to San Diego with a great beach right outside. There are shops and restaurants located inside. Prices are not that steep average $4 for a coffee. The only negatives for staying here is the fact that you are secluded to Coronado unless you have a car or expect to pay min. Of $50 cab fare to get anywhere elseRecommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 11Jun 14, 2014
Redolent with history, yet full of contemporary luxuries, the Hotel del Coronado is one of the best hotels in the United States. Even has a few ghost stories of its own.Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 6Sep 13, 2013
My family went here every summer for 10 years of my childhood and it is a wonderful and magical place. It's changed hands since we used to go there, and it is considerably more expensive now (though really nicely upgraded). But even just a visit to ride up and down in the elevator-operated main elevator is fun -- especially if you're with kids.Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 5Jun 25, 2013
If you love history and beautiful architecture, this is one place you would want to visit if you are unable to stay there. The grounds and white sandy beaches are beautiful.Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoCommunity ManagerAmbassadorMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 4Jan 21, 2013
A gorgeous must-see in San Diego! Built in 1888, this classic beachfront respite near San Diego, California has long been heralded as one of America’s most beautiful beach resorts. A pronouncement underscored by its designation as a National Historic Landmark in 1977. P.S. Coronado was recently named No. 1 Best Beach in America for 2012 in the highly anticipated list by Florida International University professor and coastal expert Stephen P. Leatherman, a.k.a. "Dr. Beach".
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 13Dec 06, 2012
Always a go-to spot for walking by the Pacific Ocean. Enjoy the sea breeze, southern California sun, and scenery. Lots of little shops in the hotel for the window shopper in you :-)
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureFamily Travelers+ 4Nov 23, 2012
The Hotel Del is tough to beat. It is architecturally spectacular and classic in its styling. Just walking around the property takes you back in time to its origins in the 1880's. The history including Marilyn Monroe's film "Some Like it Hot" adds to its mystique.Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsSep 23, 2013
I LOVE this place! If you are here around Christmas/New Years Day it is a must see! Every winter they set up a outdoor ice skating overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Point Loma. The views are breathtaking and this place takes you a step back in time! This is such a fun time for a romantic date or the whole family! Even if you just come for a couple of hours! Grab a cup of hot coco take a stroll around the beautiful nostalgic building and manicured grounds and then watch the sun sink into the Pacific! Highly recommend!Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 11Sep 24, 2013
I had my first fish tacos at a stand not 50 feet from here. Best fish tacos ever!! This hotel is massive. It has been kept in pristine condition. The white paint just pops against the blue gray ocean waters. They say the place is haunted however, if I was spending my honeymoon in San Diego this is where I would want to stay. The romantic history of this Victorian era resort for the rich and famous makes a great place for lovers to whale watch and escape.Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureBudget Travelers+ 10Feb 20, 2013
The hotel is a must see at Christmas time but book a reservation for the historical society tour to really get to know the place. Enjoy a drink at the Babcock & Story bar, savor the 1900 restaurant or just stroll the grounds - full of Victorian elegance.Recommended for:
- Hotel del CoronadoMember ofOutdoor EnthusiastsLocal CultureFamily TravelersFoodiesJul 05, 2012
This place is absolutely unique. It is so big and romantic. I felt like being in Marylin's film when I was here. We went only for lunch so I can't say how hospitality is. However I liked very much comon areas and the direct access on the beach. There are also boutiques inside. Lunch was fine and absolutely relaxing.
- Business Center
- Fitness Center
- Room Service
- Swimming Pool
Very Good!1245 reviews across the web.
- Guests consider it an awesome beach hotel.
- Guests say this is a good club hotel.
- Beach90% appreciated the clean beach.
- Ambiance86% were fond of the entertainment options.
- Location83% liked the proximity to shopping.
- GroundsPool was lovely, according to 79%.
- Restaurant73% found the breakfast to be wonderful.
- HotelHotel is nice enough.