Howard Johnson Inn - San Diego

6440 El Cajon Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92115

• Howard Johnson Inn - San Diego
    Lindsey
    3 May 14, 2013

Tis Howard Johnson Inn is a great option for anyone who can't decide whether they want to stay in North Park or La Mesa! Unless you are a possible college student who wants to check out the San Diego State campus. I had to do a few U-turns in order to finally figure out how to get into the parking area, (the building is a bit doughnut-like) but once I found my way in I ended up liking the shape...the structure creates a bit of a secluded and peaceful enclosure with pool and rooms inside (where the jelly of the doughnut would be). The young man at the front desk, Cam, was extremely friendly, and explained to me that the hotel was just finishing up a big renovation of all its rooms. New flat screen T.Vs and big luxurious beds with oversized fluffy pillows. The room Cam showed me to was smokey smelling, so if you don't smoke I would request a non-smoking room, but the new and improved room was out of this world for a Howard Johnson budget. Though the room I saw did not not have a flat screen quite yet, Cam assured me that by the end of the month all the rooms would be modern and flat screened out! All I could think about was how badly I wanted to collapse into the cloud-like bed and take a nap. I think this is a great option for the area.

• Howard Johnson Inn - San Diego
    Jaime Gamblin
    2 Apr 24, 2013

It’s pretty hard to miss the giant front of this SDSU area Howard Johnson, though the property behind the sign will look very different in the coming months. There was quite a bit of remodeling going on during my visit, and while I wasn’t too impressed with the old rooms, the new granite bathroom countertops will look great once they’re no longer in the outside hallway. The older room I visited was a decent size but certainly in need of the update. The breakfast area in the lobby was quite limited, though I was told by the very accommodating younger man at the front desk that it’s in for an update as well. From what I understand this hotel is under new management, so I would give it a couple of months to visit again while they hash out what to do with the giant but currently empty restaurant space and to get those rooms all sparkly and new.

Mediocre537 reviews across the web.

• Guests think this is a family-friendly hotel.
    100% liked the proximity to shopping.
    Excellent value for money, said 88%.
  • Food
    63% found the breakfast to be acceptable.
  • Room
    63% said rooms were dirty.
    62% thought it was rather dirty.
  • Service
    57% indicated the reception staff was not good.
Showing Lowest Prices

Mediocre - 61% of guests recommend

This San Diego hotel is near San Diego State University. Other area attractions include San Diego Zoo.

Features.
A complimentary breakfast is served daily. Howard Johnson Inn San Diego features complimentary continental breakfast, a pool, and laundry facilities. Wireless Internet access is available in public areas. Guest parking is complimentary. The front desk is open 24 hours a day.

Guestrooms.

... read more

Televisions have cable channels.

Notifications:

Additional fees and deposits may be charged by the property at time of service, check in, or check out.

• Free Parking