Help Isabel Dennis

.7 responses.Add a Recommendation.
.over 3 years ago . Flag
Derek F. recommended Dubrovnik and Southern Dalmatia
One of the undiscovered jewels of Europe, Croatia is simply beautiful. Filled with historical relics, beautiful nature, an amazing coastline --- and it is inexpensive!
Derek F.

Iceland will majorly dent your wallet, whereas Croatia won't. Croatians are super friendly, and you'll have plenty to see wherever you go. I think it's a pretty easy choice to make!

Alex recommended Dubrovnik and Southern Dalmatia
Some of the key reasons I travel are: a) meeting people from around the world, b) history, c) food, d) natural beauty, e) large bodies of water and f) great urban planning. I pretty much just ... read more
described the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia. The ferry ride from the Istrian peninsula through the Adriatic islands (Hvar, Vis) and on down to Split and Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful spots in Europe. Some of these towns were Venetian outposts, so think stone walls, ancient homes, cobblestone streets, etc. When you disembark, families with rooms to let meet you at the ferry, and the price (and experience) is unbeatable.
Alex

I haven't been to Iceland, but I love Croatia. (And Slovenia, which probably looks more like Iceland but at half the price.)

Travis Katz recommended Blue Lagoon spa
Blue Lagoon spaSvartsengi, 240 Grindavik, Iceland
Forget, for a moment, that this is the runoff from a geothemal power plant. The blue lagoon is one of the best places we went in Iceland. It is a giant themal pool/lake, the color of blue milk, set ... read more
among the lunar landscape outside of Rekyavik. You can get a massage while floating on a half-submerged mat in the hot water, eat at the restaurant, or just float in the thermal. Heaven! There is a hotel here and you can stay the night. We didn't do it but we wished we had. You really want to maximize your time here!
Travis Katz

Isabel, I have never been to Croatia, but I could have spend 2 days hanging out in the blue lagoon.

Randy Kalp recommended Iceland
Randy Kalp

Hi Isabel, I also second Iceland. We spent a week there and loved it! There are a handful of things to do in Reykjavik for under $5 and you can't miss the thermal pools as Travis recommended. The landscape is unique and unlike anything else I have ever seen.

Travis Katz recommended Geysir
Just outside of the capital, this is where the English word "Geyser" comes from. Geothermic pools and steaming water shooting out to amazing heights. These geysers are not quite as big as the ones in ... read more
Yellowstone, but still pretty amazing. Pay attention to the wind, though. We were heading back to the bus and got totally soaked when one went off.
.Comment.over 3 years ago. Report
Isabel Dennis commented on this question

Thanks for the advice everyone! I chose Iceland. It is certainly going to be mighty expensive but I decided this once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity was worth the price. (Plus I've got some money saving ideas, like camping out in my rental car. :-) I'll make sure to stop by the Blue Lagoon and Geysir!

.Comment.over 3 years ago. Report
Randy Kalp commented on this question

Nice choice! By going in April, you'll still be in the low season, which means cheaper car rentals among other things. We used Hertz, but we found out later from a friend about SADcars.com, which from the research we did has the cheapest prices. Also, if you are renting a car, I suggest picking it up/dropping it off at the airport at the time of your arrival/departure. This will save you from having to pay approximately $20-$25 (each way) for the shuttle bus from the airport to Reykjavik. Have fun! And, if you need any more advice, let me know.

Help Isabel Dennis by recommending a place:

Add a Recommendation

Don't have a specific place to recommend?Add a comment instead