Trip Plan Details
- Galleria dell'AccademiaCampo della Carità, 1050, Venice, Province of Venice, Italyrecommended Galleria dell'AccademiaThis museum has a wonderful collection of Venetian Art; a must-see if you are a fan of Titian, Tintoretto and Lotto. I especially liked Tintoretto's four scenes from The Life of San Marco - a good ... read morehistorical lesson as well. The interior decoration of the museum is a work of art as well, resembling elegant sitting rooms at times. I definitely recommend getting a guide for the Accademia, or at least a detailed book.
- Scuola Grande Arciconfraternita di San RoccoSan Polo 3052, Venice 30125, Italyrecommended Scuola Grande Arciconfraternita di San RoccoTintoretto designed the majority of this beautiful scuola, even sneaking in one night to paint an entire mural in order to win a competition. Filled with dark wood, red velvet, and gold trim, the dark ... read moreinterior is a classic example of the Venetian chiaroscuro technique.Erin K
This is an incredibly unique building/art "museum" to check out.
- Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei FrariSan Polo, Venice, Province of Venice, Italyrecommended Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei FrariThe Frari's central point is Titian's "Assumption," which is a beautiful piece of artwork. While the exterior of the church is not much to look at, the interior is gorgeous, especially the choir ... read morestalls. It costs around 3 euros to tour the place, which goes towards maintenance of the basilica.
recommended MuranoMany factories showing how to blow famous and beautiful glassRecommended for:
- Piazza San MarcoPiazza San Marco, Venice 30124 Italyrecommended Piazza San MarcoBeautiful and iconic. I want to give it just four stars for the crazy amount of tourists, but I simply can't. It's just so magnificent. Take the crowds as part of the epic experience.Recommended for:History BuffsKeane
A square that cannot be missed. It's what they recreated at Epcot and at all the Venetian hotels around the world.
- Church of Santa Maria di NazarethSestiere Cannaregio 57, Venice 30121, Italyrecommended Church of Santa Maria di NazarethBuilt in the 17th century, the Church of Santa Maria di Nazareth (or of the Scalzi) is one of the first historic sites after entering Venice from the bus stop. Located between the rail station and the ... read moreScalzi Bridge, it's open to the public for visitation and service. Just be sure to show the same respect you would in any other church: cover your shoulders and keep the camera flashes to a minimum.Keane
This isn't a huge attraction, but something to keep your eyes open for as it's quickly passable. Small, old, pretty church.
- Palazzo DucaleSestiere San Marco 1, Venice 30124 Italyrecommended Palazzo DucaleThe Palazzo Ducale (or Doge's Palace) was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the top boss during the days of the Republic of Venice. Located in St. Mark's Square, it's one of the most prominent ... read morebuildings visible while going down the Grand Canal, mostly because it's completely flooded by tourists (no pun intended). Constructed between the 14th and 15th centuries, it houses many room of beautiful art, including one with giant maps of the world as they knew it. The grand courtyard is beautiful, with two floors overlooking each of its facades. The prison area was interesting, particularly since one can see the entrance to the canal under the Ponte dei Sospiri from one of the windows, offering a strange duality between Renaissance-era imprisonment and onlookers of one of the world's most romantic bridges.Keane
I have no doubt you'll end up here. But, just in case, go here! And expect crowds.
- Pasticceria Dal MasCannaregio, 150/Arecommended Pasticceria Dal MasThe most eye-catching bakery I happened to pass in Venezia, I couldn't help but be lured into their store of delectable sights and smells. Everything is perfectly packed to be given as a lovely gift, ... read morethough I believe such style also comes with a price. We tried the shortbread cookies with chocolate and they were a tasty, caloric snack for all the urban hiking we were doing. I would rank them very near the best I've ever had if not equal to. I definitely recommended visiting this bakery regardless of your purchase intentions. It's just that pretty.Recommended for:FoodiesKeane
Pick up some snacks or presents for friends at home at this bakery. Everything is wrapped really nicely, so their treats really do make the perfect gifts.
- Ferro & LazzariniFondamenta Andrea Navagero, 30141 Venice, Italyrecommended Ferro & LazzariniThe islands of Murano are famous for both fancy glassmaking and luring tourists. I don't mean this in a bad way, only that to get to Murano requires a 30 minute boat ride in each direction. If you're ... read morenot a fan of glass or don't plan on purchasing any, do yourself a favor and skip this entirely. If you do have time, you'll be treated to a glass-making demonstration by guys who've been sculpting high quality glass for years. The results are gorgeous, and it made me wish I was in a higher income bracket to afford some of the pieces for myself. After the demonstration, you're brought into the showroom for the opportunity to purchase goods for home. They offer shipping, so you don't have to carry it all back. It's quite a nice place, but if you have no plans on buying, you'll just be looking and waiting.Keane
If you love glassmaking, you should check this factory out. You can buy stuff and have it shipped to you around the world. If you're not a fan of Murano glass, you may want to skip Murano altogether if you're short on time, as just getting there takes almost an hour (roundtrip).
recommended Lido IslandThere is a nice street on Lido that everybody walks down at night packed with restaurants. A nice change of pace from Venice.Recommended for:
commented on this trip
If you haven't booked your accomadation yet I recommend staying in Mestre if you want to save some money. It's a short train ride to Venice about 15-20 mins
recommended VeniceVenice is as much a state of mind as it is a place. It needs to be experienced by night ...The crowds have thinned out now and as your gondola glides genlty thru canals, you hear the music from ... read moreSt.Marks Square wafting in the air, you see the lights twinkle off the water.....This is Venice! Buon Viaggio, Funaro Italian ToursRecommended for:Deanna Funaro
A note for Jack, Venice is a great place to wander. It's small so you will never get too lost. Must see's are Doges Palace, Bridge of Sighs (learn the stories before you go), St.Marks square and Basilica, Harry's Bar, Peggy Guggenheim. Take a gondola ride in the evening...It will make your trip! Buon Viaggio form Funaro Italian Tours