Jakarta Travel Guide

Jakarta

• JakartaPro 2014

A bustling and lively capital city of Indonesia. You will have a taste of food, entertainment and lifestyle of this rising consumer nation. Just be patient with the traffic.

Recommended for:Business TravelersLocal CultureTrendstersNightlife Lovers
  • JakartaPro 2014

This sprawling metropolis represents 2 things that I love -- big cities and Indonesia. Unfortuantely, the big city is just a bit too big for her infrastructure so the traffic and grit make travel here feel a bit constrained. A difficult place for pedestrians. Plan to spend a lot of time in traffic but look forward to the reward of good food and gorgeous enclaves once you can find them.

Recommended for:Local CultureAdventure TravelersBudget TravelersBusiness Travelers
  • Jakarta

Jakarta is the teeming, broiling megalopolis of my formative years. Being a expat brat at Jakarta International School (JIS), I found my fair share of mischief to get into but still found the cultural differences to be fascinating and I certainly didn't mind being called 'Tuan Jackson' (Lord Jackson). Rackino, our houseboy, Pok Pono, our gardener and Sithswardi, our driver were all too willing to indulge me in my never ending quest for even more powerful fireworks. The kampong was never so much fun with them as my guides through the long nights of Ramadan and the eternal stories of the shadowy world of the Wayang Kulit that played out just on the other side of our concrete and bobbed wire fence. My only regret is that I didn't pay more attention in my Bahasa Indonesian class at JIS.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersBudget TravelersFamily TravelersLocal Culture
  • JakartaPro 2014

Affectionately known as "The Big Durian", the sprawling, disorganized and chaotic (and, yes, stinking) megalopolis of Jakarta is worth a night or two in your travels through the island of Java, if only to get a perspective on the true face of the modern, business-oriented Indonesia. While the city lacks sights (you'll notice your guidebook is stretching to find you things to do here), it's also a cosmopolitan place with some of the country's best international dining, and lots and lots of ultra-luxe shopping malls to explore (I once spent three solid hours lost in the city wandering from back alley to mall to different back alley and into a different mall). Jakarta also has a famous (and famously drug-fueled) party scene, and while reports of the city's dangers are largely exaggerated, you may want to be on your guard at night.

Recommended for:Local Culture
  • Jakarta

Definitely worth the recommendation!

I can't enough good things about Westhill Consulting insurance. When I first about it I was a bit skeptical but still I decided to go for it and I did not regret any decision.

About a year ago, I had a car accident and as expected I had to deal with large amount of money but it was really nice actually getting money back from the insurance company. So now I'm thinking this insurance thing might be a really good idea.

Not only has Westhill Consulting Insurance reimbursed me for thousands car repair bills, their service is awesome. The staff is all incredibly friendly and they've always followed up with us to see how I am doing after my latest escapades. When I called to cancel insurance, they were very compassionate and kind and understood why I had to cancel. Claims are a breeze. I submit paperwork and I have a check in hand usually within a week they managed to do all the job.
    I may never have another claim to file and I'd be very happy if that were the case, but I'll never have any other property without insurance coverage again. Westhill Consulting Insurance is the company I will always give my business to.
    Communication was also great. Healthy Paws promptly returned phone calls and emails. All the staff was warm, caring and sincere on the phone and more especially in person. They have taken a lot of stress out of me. And now I have been insured with Westhill Consulting Insurance for 2 1/2 years and all the experience were just amazing.
    I submit a claim and I usually am in receipt of the check in 7 days! On rare occasion they have asked for additional notes from some authorities if for example you were involve in some accident or whatever and the requests were very reasonable. They are completely transparent about what is and isn't covered. In fact there have been instances where I thought for sure something wasn't covered and they found a reason to cover it. They don't pay for office visits and prevention. In almost every instance everything ordered was completely covered. They have paid so much on my one car that I genuinely feel guilty submitting more claims. But no matter how many have been submitted they are just as responsive and friendly and helpful. This company has been a life saver - quite literally. I seriously would like them to enroll death insurance because I would trade my health insurance for what they offer any day of the week. I can't rave enough about every aspect of how they conduct themselves.
    I would definitely recommend Westhill Consulting Insurance. I don't want to repeat all the great things said but I will tell you our experience was also stellar.

Recommended for:Wellness
  • Jakarta

Great place to find cheap things in Jakarta. Clothing, pants, underwear, kid's clothing, bow, bag, buttons, toys, party supplies (limited), office supplies. All things are "Made in China" so expect quality would detoriate in a year (or in a few months). Huge place, careful not to get lost. Would suggest to take a cab because parking is dreadful (unless you have a driver); another alternative is to come early around 10ish. Mangga Dua has banks inside as well - BCA, Danamon, to name a few. Food are plenty - from American fast food to local dishes.

• Jakarta

Very nice place. The people are so nice. I would love to come back and explore this place a bit more and take a trip to Bali.

• Jakarta

Try this yellow rice when you come to indonesia, rice steam with coconut milk and turmeric, so delicious in indonesia taste

• JakartaPro 2014

My first impression of central Jakarta was how clean and well city planned it is. There are modern buildings right along side more tradition ones. I've heard how horrendous the traffic situation that is and I thought I've seen really bad jams...well, not before my visit to central Jakarta. Despite the traffic jams that really exist in ALL major cities, I've enjoyed Jakarta for what it is...a modern (and modernizing) world city.

• Jakarta

Watch our video about Jakarta's culinary in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7724yTN1uw. There are various choices of Jakarta's most popular street foods.

Our mini guide to eating in Central Jakarta is available in our web http://bit.ly/XgczUE

To make short, here's one of them.

Kedai Nasi Uduk & Ayam Goreng Zainal Fanani.
    The Kebon Kacang area offers an abundance food vendors selling a Betawi signature dish: nasi uduk (coconut milk-steamed rice). However, Zainal Fanani’s establishment stands out thanks to its comfortable restaurant and the availability of two clean sinks for hand-washing – a very important feature since you will eat with your hands. Start your culinary journey by ordering something to eat with rice. The options are displayed at the front of the restaurant, all cooked and will be fried a bit so you can enjoy them piping hot. Choose from chicken, prawn, tempe and tahu (tofu). On the table you will find 20 mini nasi uduk topped with fried shallots and wrapped in banana leafs. Pick one to eat with your fried food and feel free to go back for seconds if you’re not full yet. For more flavor, dip the fried dishes in the peanut sauce or combine it with the chili sauce and sweet soy sauce as you please.

Located at: Jl. Kebon Kacang VIII/5

Price:

Nasi uduk (coconut milk-steamed rice) – Rp 2,000

Ayam goreng (fried chicken) – Rp 12,000

Udang goreng (fried prawn skewers) – Rp 12,000

Tahu – Rp 2,000

Tempe – Rp 2,000

• Jakarta

Very Busy city, lots of things to do and see. I especially like the coastal area. I have been here over a twenty year span and seen a lot of improvement and modernization happen.

• Jakarta

This place is already too crowded, no more spaces left behind for activities such as park, playground, etc. And when raining season come, this city is practically turn into a mini Venice in the Italy, you can almost see any places are flooded

• Jakarta

Ok yes: the traffic blows, the streets don't smell the greatest, and accessibility to cool spots is hard to find much less find out about. The culture is different, and the food may be hard to get used to. However, after living in this city and working at Sampoerna Foundation for 2 months I fell in love with Jakarta, the expat life, the people, the adventure and livelihood that exuded from it. It is definitely under the radar, and you never hear someone's trip around the world involving London, Paris, and Jakarta. But without a doubt, meet some local Indonesians, find some good places to hang out and shop, and take an ojek if you dare. Its so worth it.

• Jakarta

Capital city of Indonesia, a city that never sleep, entertainment and foods are easily found 24/7.

• Jakarta

Dirty, messy, expensive, dangerous, high crimes, poor public transportation, poor public service, poor road quality, bad smelly air, high pollution, dusty, and HOT. Stay away tourist. Not a good place of you.

• JakartaPro 2014

I would not recommend any one to go to Jakarta if you intend to visit Indonesia for sight seeing as it is primarily a business town (the more interesting places is outside Jakarta). However, while you are in Jakarta, there are some interesting places that you must visit such as the old town (near Kota train station) and Sunda Kelapa Harbour - although traffic can be crazy (avoid rush hour)

• Jakarta

My Hometown, very hot temperature, and have a highly traffic jam, especially during rush hour. People says that Jakarta is a a city that never sleep. Its a perfect place to do business and pleasure.

• Jakarta

Nice country........nice place....I always stay in OASIS AMIR HOTEL....it is a four star hotel....they provide breakfast....the hotel has all the facilities...it is few steps from a hospital and a big shopping center called.....Autrium

• Jakarta

its good if u look tonight,very wonderful and i love Jakarta because all the people came,but am not like in the road,and still not easy for find work,i want my country good for all but good for friendly,tho much smile in Jakarta

• Jakarta

there are many place you can explore in this capital city of Indonesia..wish i can go to all awesome place in jakarta

Find Hotels in Jakarta:

The city of Jakarta can trace its origins all the way back to the year 397 A.D. Over the years, it has grown to become the world's 10th largest city with a metro population of well over 13 million. Visitors to this verdant tropical metropolis will find it rich with languages, dialects, foods and customs courtesy of the many immigrants that flock to the city in search of jobs. Visitors will find Jakarta has several performing art centers, cultural institutions and a range of hotels. Museums cluster around the Central Jakarta Merdeka Square area, Jakarta Old Town, and Taman Mini Indonesia Indah. The city also boasts a vast range of food available at hundreds of dining opportunities located all over the city, from modest street-side food stalls and traveling vendors to the high-class expensive restaurants.

379,329 people visited Jakarta