Trip Plan Details
recommended New BuffaloNew Buffalo, St. Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck.....so many cute towns on the lakeshore in Michigan that are 1-3 hours from Chicago. Of course better in the Summer. Lots of beach cottage rentals, ... read moreantiquing, cute restaurants, wineries. I live around this area and love it....but go to Chicago when I need an urban fix. ;)Recommended for:
recommended Modern Wing at Art InstituteI'm a big fan of Modern and Contemporary art and the Art Institute of Chicago does a great job of displaying some amazing pieces. It's definitely worth spending an afternoon in the Modern Wing.Recommended for:Kimberly Wolfson
Have you been to the Modern Wing?
- Museum of Science and Industry5700 South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60637-2003recommended Museum of Science and IndustryIt is expensive, but worth every cent. You can spend a week there and not see everything. Forget not going to touristy places. People go there because they are interesting places. Would you go to ... read morePisa, Italy and NOT go to the plaza with the Leaning Tower. Would you go to Florence, Italy and not see The David? Chicago has a newish tour called the Architectural Tour, a lot of which is done on a boat in the Chicago River. It is supposed to be wonderful and many of my friends who are native Chicagoans go on this tour. Don't miss Roosevelt University, designed by Adler & Sullivan with ornamentation by Frank Lloyd Wright. See the Auditorium Theater in the building. Great architecture. See Robie House in Chicago and the U of C Law Library by Ero Saarinen. Go to Millenium Park, aka Grant Park and see The Bean. See the beauty of mosaics in the former public library, now the Cultural Center. Tour the Water Tower, and Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower). Catch a play at the Goodman Theater and see the Art Institute, a superb Art Museum. Don't bother with neighborhoods. You can go to the wrong one and not come out.Recommended for:
recommended MilwaukeeMilwaukee is a great town and an easy day trip from Chicago. Where Chicago is modern, having lost a lot in the Great Fire, Milwaukee still has that great stone architecture. Downtown is vibrant with ... read morelots to do. Get there at sunset to see the wings of the art museum close up.Recommended for:
recommended KenoshaKenosha's a nice little town just over the Wisconsin border on the way to Milwaukee. There are a couple of good beaches and parks, and some public museums. It's also the last stop on the Union Pacific ... read moreNorth Metra line, so you don't need a car to get there from Chicago. It's a nice day trip.Recommended for:
- Blue Frog Bar & Grill676 N. LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60654, United Statesrecommended Blue Frog Bar & GrillIt's dark, the drinks are cheapish, in the afternoon be sure to go with a hard cocktail. Games to play and great tater totsRecommended for:Walter Paytin
Feel the gritty side of chicago, at this hole in the wall, but classy and safe bar.
- Chicago Botanic Garden1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe, IL 60022-1168recommended Chicago Botanic GardenBeautiful escape from the busy energy of the city, less than an hour away:-)Recommended for:
- The Martin Theatre at Ravinia200 Ravinia Park Road, Highland Park, ILrecommended The Martin Theatre at RaviniaBeautiful outdoor concert grounds. Go early with chairs, and you can also bring in all your own food and drinks. You can pay extra to sit in the theater, or just sit on the grass in between the ... read moresculptures and dance barefoot in the grass.Recommended for:Nomadic by Nature
You can take the subway out here. Just check to see what is playing out there. Mostly a summertime thing though.
- Candlelite Chicago7452 N Western Ave, Chicago, IL 60645recommended Candlelite ChicagoCandlelite stands out on a windblown Northside street because of it's totally cool neon sign. (Photo to come.) Inside it's a combination of family pizza restaurant and neighborhood sports bar. I went ... read moreto meet a friend to watch the Cubs in warmth and comfort. I arrived first and felt at ease parking myself at the bar in front of one of the many LCD TVs and ordering my beer. My friend arrived and it was quiet enough to catch up on news and tell stories (jobs we had in high school). Hunger crept up around the 4th inning and we ordered a veggie pizza. Very good! Crispy crust, hot, with plenty of veggies. And during the last at bat at the bottom of the ninth, all the folks in the bar gathered around the screen to watch the final Cub strike out. Would I go there again? Heck yeah. And ya know, it's a long season. The Cubs still have a chance.Barbara Kossy
You might like this place too.
- The Magnificent MileNorth Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611recommended The Magnificent MileThe Magnificent Mile a.k.a. North Michigan Ave is the "Fifth Ave" of Chicago. The area is a shopper's delight and it offers a broad range of retail stores from American Eagle Outfitters to Armani ... read moreExchange. There is something for everyone.
- Field Museum1400 South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60605-2827
- The Signature Room at the 95th875 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611recommended The Signature Room at the 95thThe Signature Room at the 95th offers the BEST skyline view of Chicago while diners enjoy a great meal. If you are not in the mood for dinner in the classy dining room I still recommend heading to the ... read morelounge for a couple drinks to go along with the magnificent view.
- John Hancock Center875 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-1779recommended John Hancock CenterThe John Hancock Center is a "must see" in Chicago. Visitors have the opportunity to go up over 90 floors to an observatory that offers spectacular views of the city and Lake Michigan. After some ... read morescenic photo taking, visitors can head over to the Signature Room on the 95th floor for a nice romantic dinner in the dining room or to the lounge for good cocktails, appetizers, and conversations.Scott Hampton (@danielodyssey1)
Best place to go to see awesome skyline views of Chicago's skyline. The John Hancock Center is also known as the Sears Tower.
- Bahai TempleWilmette, Illinoisrecommended Bahai TempleThe oldest Baha'i temple in the world, and the only one in the United States, both the grounds of the complex in a northern suburb of Chicago, and the temple building itself, are quite lovely. Baha'i ... read moreis an inclusive, non-denominational religious faith, and the beautiful white dome of the temple with its extensive, intricate carvings is a great place for silent reflection and meditation. If you're looking for something a little different in the Chicago area, it's more than worth the visit.Matthew Crompton
As something quite different, combine a trip up to Evanston with a visit to this very cool temple. Well worth it. =)
- Space1245 Chicago Avenue, Evanston, IL 60202, United Statesrecommended SpaceSpace is a great club for all the right reasons. The room is small and intimate, the bands they feature are pretty darned good. You can buy your tickets online and print them yourself, so there’s no ... read morewaiting in a will call line. A friend and I got standing room tickets for the recent The English Beat show and had a great time. We had an easy time finding street parking in the neighborhood, walked to the club and got in right away. OK the down side of standing room is that, well, you have to stand, even when waiting for the act to come on. There were a few tables scattered around where we could put our drinks and lean a bit, but it was truly SRO for us. The room acoustics are good, but I wore earplugs anyway since it was all a bit loud and I wanted to protect my hearing for the decades ahead. If you want something to eat you can get some great pizza from Union, which shares the same building. I would definitely go again, but next time I’ll reserve my tickets sooner for a chair. But, if you plan to dance all night get SRO seats and hope your act shows up on time.Recommended for:Local CultureBarbara Kossy
In the same building as Union Pizza.
recommended EvanstonEvanston is a walkable little city with Lake Michigan beaches, a thriving downtown, and Northwestern University. My favorite walks are along the Lake Michigan shore and from downtown south along ... read moretreelined neighborhood streets.Recommended for:Barbara Kossy
Easy to get to on Metra.
- Union Pizzeria1245 Chicago Avenue, Evanston, ILrecommended Union PizzeriaI had a beer and flavorful authentically Italian pizza at the bar with some long-lost high school pals. The room was active but didn't feel crowded, even though the place was full. The pizza was ... read moregreat! I had one with anchovies, capers, and other stuff I can't remember. Very tasty and crispy crust. I love the big pizza oven right in the middle of the room with the huge stucco dome. Fantastic. The bar is U-shaped so you can watch the room, or the street. Bustle and fun, but I could still always hear the conversation. I'm heading back. Maybe tonight!Barbara Kossy
Great pizza here! You might also like just hanging out in Evanston.
- Devon AvenueWest Devon Street and North Western Streetrecommended Devon AvenueDevon runs east-west on Chicago's north side. It's a great street to walk, full of ethnic shops and restaurants. Walking east from Kedzie you'll find an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, then Russian ... read moreAmerican, Indian American, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi neighborhoods. I once had a great time shopping with my sister who was looking for silk sari pants. You might enjoy the Indian sweets shops.
- Lincoln Park Zoo2001 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60614-4712recommended Lincoln Park ZooThis is the zoo of my childhood. We'd beg our parents to take us there, then spend hours looking at the gorillas, elephants, and monkeys. My favorite was the lion house. Later as a teen I'd ride my ... read morebike there, and then, as an adult I'd go in winter just to see the ducks sliding around on the iced over ponds. A world-class zoo that also serves as a green space in the midst of the big city. Big plus, it's free and open every day.Barbara Kossy
Easy to get to on public transit. If you're planning a fall visit, a gorilla was born on October 16, 2012.
- Emporium Arcade Bar1366 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL, United States
- Hopleaf Bar5148 North Clark Street, Chicago, ILrecommended Hopleaf Barhave you been to hopleaf yet? check it out for great brews from around the world, phenomenal mussels and fries, a fantastic staff and just all around good time!Recommended for:Van Le
if you're looking to venture into new neighborhoods - eat and drink up just a little bit north where the food and drink scene is up and coming!
commented on this trip
How long do you want to be gone, Jen? Just the day, or day + night?