Trip Plan Details
- Honeypie Cafe2643 South Kinnickinnic Avenue, Milwaukee, WI
- Sprecher Brewery701 West Glendale Avenue, Milwaukee, WI, United States
commented on this trip
For your Milwaukee trip Miller Park if Brewers are home, Art Museum, HD Museum, anything along the lake shore, County Clare Pub, Tenuta's italian Rest
- Roots Restaurant & Cellar -- CLOSED1818 N Hubbard St, Milwaukee, WI 53212recommended Roots Restaurant & Cellar -- CLOSEDI enjoyed the creative dishes made with local produce and sustainably farmed fish and so on. Plates were rich with flavors inspired by Asian, European, and Latin American cooking. I love going to ... read moreplaces like this when I travel, because it shows me what locals are proud of (Door County cherries), and the chefs, if sincere, show a real respect for ingredients in their cooking. For me that's what makes a good dish: preparation that enhances the best qualities of the ingredients. All that is here in Roots. And a fun time and super beer selection too.Recommended for:
- Milwaukee Art Museum700 N Art Museum Drrecommended Milwaukee Art MuseumThe building itself is a soaring eye-catcher, designed by Santiago Calatrava and finished in 2001. It's simultaneously a plane, bird, and sailboat. I was completely impressed with the museum. During ... read moremy visits I've been stimulated by the special exhibitions, films, and how they present their collection. The cafe featured authentic Milwaukee bratwurst and Milwaukee root beer. The museum is right on the lake surrounded by green lawn and is easy to reach on public transport.Barbara Kossy
And it's got a lovely lakeside location.recommended Milwaukee Art MuseumThis stunning Santiago Calatrava "sailing ship" addition is definitely worth the trip and is a welcome sight on the waterfront. I love great architecture like this and am pleased to see that downtown ... read moreMilwaukee is improving from previous years. And it is easy to forget about the art when you're paying more attention to the moving metal sails. But do come inside and look around the exhibits and experience the calmness of the spacious interior hall and the white marble flooring.Recommended for:Eric Brink
Great architecture and collection.
- Bendtsen's Bakery3200 Washington Avenue, Racine, WIrecommended Bendtsen's BakeryI stopped at Bendtsen's Bakery in Racine for a Kringle, "the world's finest danish pastry". A Kringle looks like a ring about a foot and a half across and as big as a Christmas wreath. It has a ... read morefeatherlight buttery crust, almost like a croissant and is available with a ribbon of pecan or almond macaroon paste or a filling of cherry and cheese (along with other fruit choices). I ordered a cherry one which was warm and fresh out of the oven that early in the morning. And it's a lot of food for $8! In fact, I brough the leftovers home and there's probably enough left for a total of 4 individual breakfasts! My Kringle has been sweet and tasty and definitely worth the culinary experience. Please note that the Kringle at Larsen's Bakery just down the street might be just as good, but that may have to wait for the next trip.Recommended for:Eric Brink
- Mazos Fine Foods3146 S 27th St, Milwaukee, WI 53215recommended Mazos Fine FoodsMazo's is a small burger store that has been here since 1934. The dining room (including a counter) has an old fashioned feel that is accented by lots of vintage magazine clips, and artistic ... read moreportraits. My table was near a portrait of Englebert Humperdinck. Service was friendly and fast. I ordered a cheeseburger with crinkle cut fries, coleslaw and a diet Pepsi for a bit less than $7. The burger was made to order from freshly ground meat, grilled in butter (I think that's a Milwaukee thing), and served on a nicely toasted bun. It was a delicious meal, which also left me with that slightly greasy, yet pleasant residual taste that I had long forgotten. And right after I was done, I proceeded directly across the street and had a wonderful vanilla custard cone at Leon's, another Milwaukee tradition.Recommended for:Eric Brink
And Butter Burgers!
- Leon's Frozen Custard Drive-In3131 S 27th St, Milwaukee, WI 53215recommended Leon's Frozen Custard Drive-InI crossed the street for desert at Leon's after a wonderful burger meal at Mazo's. Leon's is a neon-rimmed 1950s throwback that serves a wonderfully creamy frozen custard. I stuck with a vanilla cone, ... read morewhich was delicious all wrapped up in its American flag wrapper. My only regret is that I didn't order a larger cone. Who needs Fro-Yo when you can have this ultimate frozen desert? And there's no need for mix-ins or silly flavor names either. Sundae's, malts, and banana splits are also available at very reasonable prices. Please note that there is no seating available here, so you're either going to have to eat your custard standing up, back in the car, or at home.Recommended for:Eric Brink
You must try Frozen Custard while you're here.
- The Pfister Hotel424 E Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53202recommended The Pfister HotelI have never actually stayed at the Pfister Hotel, but have been to a few receptions and meetings over the years. The Pfister remains a very classy and comfortable hotel with great service and flair. ... read moreI strolled in previously off a still "rough around the edges" Wisconsin Avenue. The lobby was awash in Christmas decorations and the tree was in the final stages of preparation for the upcoming tree lighting ceremony. This very comfortable oasis felt very homey and inviting. I could see taking Gayle here as part of a weekend that might include the Milwaukee Art Museum, a sporting event, a Friday Night Fish Fry and other fine dining, visiting friends and relatives, and even a walk on the beach.Recommended for:Eric Brink
The Grande Dame of Milwaukee Hotels.
- Miller Park Stadium1 Brewers Way, Milwaukee, WI
- Miller Brewing Company4251 West State Street, Milwaukee, WI 53208-3137
- Milwaukee County Zoo10001 West Blue Mound Road, Milwaukee, WI, United States
recommended Wisconsin DellsI love it you need a week there not a weekendRecommended for: