Trip Plan Details
commented on this trip
Look for a recent back issue of Afar magazine--there was a great story about Burmese food in there by the writer Matt Gross. Also, Naomi Duguid's new cookbook is great, though it's light on specific resto recs. I have the Afar story filed for reference--we're going next month!
- Mandalay palace80th St, Mandalay, Myanmar/Burma
- Central Hotel Yangon335/357, Bogyoke Aung San Road | Pabedan Township, Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
- The StrandKyee Myin Daing Kanner Road, Yangon, Myanmar [Burma]recommended The StrandWhile we skipped the rooms in this luxury hotel on Yangon's riverside Strand Road, the hotel's lovely bar, with good drinks, draft beer, and tasty nibbles certainly merits a visit. Plus, it's got one ... read moreof the city's only functioning (free!) wifi connections. A great place to beat the heat of summer or escape the monsoon rains.Recommended for:Luxury TravelersMatthew Crompton
It's pricey by Yangon standards, but the hotel bar here is a great slice of the city, and a place I returned to several times during my stay in Burma.
- Lucky Seven, YangonYangon, Myanmar [Burma]recommended Lucky Seven, YangonThe quite large teahouse institution of Lucky Seven offers some of the best unpretentious local food in all of Myanmar. The fish mohinga is outstanding, the sweet milk tea delicious, and the ... read moreatmosphere -- pure laid-back old-school Burmese style -- is perfect for this time-warped city. Best breakfast in the city of Yangon, and a must experience in the city.Matthew Crompton
Breakfast and tea here is a must.
recommended Yangon (Rangoon)Though it's easily the best-connected place in Myanmar, dusty, disordered Yangon still feels pretty far out of the way. With the exception of the magnificent Shwedagon Pagoda, it's without any ... read moreparticularly memorable sights, but the interesting back streets and tasty teahouse culture (have a fish mohinga and some diabetes-inducing sweet Burmese tea) make it a place worth a night of your time, if nothing more.Matthew Crompton
Yangon is hardly preeminent on the culinary scene, but there are some great options here.
- myawaddy,Kayin State,Myanmarmyawaddy