Joan's on Third

8346 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048

• Joan's on ThirdCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    4 Oct 21, 2013

Fantastic deli and sweets! They change up their menu all the time, so you can never get bored coming here all the time. The service is excellent and it's in prime location. I recommend the turkey meatloaf sandwich yum!

Recommended for:Business TravelersFamily TravelersFoodies
    Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    4 Jun 15, 2013

At first glance, Joan's can be a bit intimidating. It's a combination of bakery, restaurant and specialty market so it looks pretty chaotic, but it's actually not so bad. The staff keeps it under control and are quite attentive if you do dine there. I recommend the short rib sandwich - I love the combination of short rib, jack cheese and arugula.

Jean Rhee
    4 Jun 15, 2013

Pricey, but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and diversity of offerings. They have a handsome cheese bar, charcuterie, desserts, and a lovely glass display filled with salads/sides to go with whatever you're cooking for the night. In addition, you can order sandwiches and entrees to go or dine in. The walls are lined with shelves stocked with specialty items like olive oils, nuts, and wines. They also have bottles of wine chilled and ready to go. Perfect place to swing by when you have to bring something nice for a host/hostess or pre-Hollywood Bowl. I'm usually there in the evening when it's not busy at all. I imagine brunch is probably the busiest time.

• Joan's on ThirdPro 2014
    Susan Lee
    4 Apr 03, 2013

This is a great place to grab brunch, though it can get very busy. Try to find a parking spot in the back of the restaurant, but if you park in the tandem spots, you may be asked to move your car if you're blocking someone. You can buy slices of fresh meats or cheese or try some of their breakfast sandwiches or breads. The chocolate croissant is a must have. If you want to eat there, grab a table as soon as you see one open. They can be hard to come by as people like to lounge around chatting and people watching.

• Joan's on ThirdPro 2014
    Trina D.
    4 Aug 01, 2012

I love grilled cheese sandwiches as much as I love mac & cheese. There's something so comforting about it. As I was browsing my emails, I stumbled upon an Epicurious recipe for short rib and grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh my! I thought it would be a great way to reinvent leftover short rib meat should I ever decide to make it again. I passed it along to my friend Joa K. and noticed that the recipe was from Joan's on Third. A little epiphany hit me and I suggested to Joa that we go and try this delicious sandwich and see if we can make it at home. So we did, we went to Joan's on Third and ordered the short rib grilled cheese with homemade pickles and caramelized onions to share. It was really good. The bread had a nice crispiness to it; the meat was braised tender. The cheese was gooey and the pickles were sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed my sandwich.

We also had the strawberry cream puff which was really yummy. It wasn't too sweet and it wasn't too heavy. Total bill was about $16 for two people. Not bad if you share. Joan's on Third is really a gourmet food market with tables so you can eat there or order to go. It's got a very trendy vibe but parking can get hectic. I can't wait to try my hand at making the sandwich though.

Kevin Cheng
    2 Jul 19, 2012

The food's good but overpriced, the portions are pretty small. Crowded and hard to find a seat on the weekends. It's not a bad place but I just don't feel like it's worth the trouble or money.

Traci

I have been coming here for years. If I am going to the Hollywood Bowl or some other potluck/picnic type of event - this is my go-to. Brunch here on weekends is also relaxing and delicious. Top picks: Chinese Chicken Salad, mini cupcakes, anything from the bakery section.

Brian Kim