Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant

11 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139

• Joe's Stone Crab RestaurantCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Oct 17, 2013

The absolute best stone crab I ever had. It just melts in your mouth.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
  • Joe's Stone Crab RestaurantPro 2014
    Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
    5 Oct 25, 2013

My father raved about this place and I had no idea what it really was all about.
    I have to say I am not a big crab lover but the house specialty Stone Crab's has to be one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten!
    If you are going to Miami do not miss this experience!
    There is a reason that it has remained a top restaurant in Miami for all of these years!

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Paul and Angela
    5 Oct 05, 2013

The insiders secret is to get the fried chicken! The ambiance and experience of Joe's for $ very cheap eats.
    Stone Crabs at Joe's is the classic South beach dining experience at $$$$ but worth it.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersBusiness TravelersFoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Medali R
    5 Sep 24, 2013
    Recommended for:Business TravelersFamily TravelersFoodiesNightlife Lovers
    Andrew Buys
    5 Dec 06, 2013

Fried chicken is amazing, too. Expensive but worth treating yourself. I like the stone crabs better than lobster!

Jackie K
    4 May 01, 2013
    Arlo Hemphill
    3 May 31, 2012
    Chicarg
    5 Nov 17, 2013

Amazing seafood, of course the crab claws are to die for. Very popular, so go early (or for lunch), otherwise be prepared to queue. No resos. Excellent service.

Sara Benson
    4 Oct 19, 2013

Although it's now a national chain, this original location has historic panache and really does serve superb seafood. It's not cheap, and you'll need to shine your shoes or put on heels before coming over ever for lunch, but for a royal feast at Miami Beach, this spot well, hits the spot.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury Travelers
    Janelle G
    5 Jun 14, 2013

Miami's most famous seafood restaurant. Fine-dining restaurant with a Joe's to Go location next door for a more casual taster!

Arcelia D
    5 Jun 05, 2013

Joe's Stone Crab banks upon its reputation as a Miami landmark and an outstanding knack for preparing stone crabs to make it a success. They rely upon this so heavily, however, that they're not afraid to irritate customers with excessively long wait times, no reservations and somewhat surly service. If you want the taste without the wait, get no-wait takeout from Joe's Takeaway, located right next to the restaurant.

James Porter
    2 Apr 25, 2013

A South Beach staple which may just be getting a little tired. I went for a classic surf and turf. The surf was average (in no way worthy of the iconic status Joe's holds). The turf similar, if not even worse. And I had the pleasure of paying through the nose for this questionable quality. The cherry on the cake was the service - the waiters were incredibly rude, dismissive and made us all feel unwelcome. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Truc Nguyen
    4 Mar 28, 2013

Food was good! I love the crabs and the key lime pie! Super delish! I still crave for the key lime pie til this day! Have not gotten anything close to it yet! Can't wait to come back here! Make sure you change out of your beach clothes before coming here! They won't serve you if you are wet and sandy! I'd recommend a cover up! That would help :)

Karen Le
    4 Mar 15, 2013

Note to restaurant goers: No shorts, no beachwear!

That's kind of what we came in with, beach attire, but they were nice enough to still let us dine as we had dresses on over our swimwear. I had originally thought it would be one of those places with long wooden benches and mallets for you to pound open the crab with...wrong. It's actually a really nice place. We came here for, what else, but the stone crab and key lime pie that they are known best for! We got the larger stone crab because it was less work and more meat, I highly suggest that. The stone crab was fresh and juicy, it had a toughness to it so you knew it was fresh, not brittle like bad seafood. Our waitress was friendly and attentive and she showed us how to take apart the little claw. The rest of our meal I can live without. We ordered the crab mac and cheese and hash browns as sides, crab pot pie, and crab bisque. Although they were pretty tasty, they were overly creamy and I think the combination of them all at once was over powering. The next time I'm here I'm going to have to balance my meal out by ordering less creamy items. Dessert was very enjoyable though, the chocolate bread pudding and chocolate molten cake along with the key lime pie (and I don't like lime) were a real treat! 3.5 stars.

travellove
    5 Dec 18, 2012

Some of the best stone crab I have ever had. Super long wait lines, understandably so, but there is a market just next door that is part of the restaurant if you can't wait and don't care about sitting in the main dining area.

Leigh Virkus

This is an institution in the area and one of the best for crab around the area. They have a very good menu for people not interested in crab and the sides are typical steak house stuff. The waiters can be stuffy at times but it is part of the place. Don't leave without having the Key Lime Pie - simply the best.

Chris Thun
    3 Jul 05, 2012

Fight the crowds at this miami institution to get your crab fix. Alternatively, bypass the crowd and get take-out to take to the beach.

andre

classic Miami restaurant, famous for their crabs, the best tip is to have a beer and eat crab in their bar, its not full as the restaurant and its the best quick food you can have in Miami.

Richard Kitten
    2 Jul 04, 2012

A few words that come to mind when I think of this establishment is overrated and overhyped. It is one of the most renown restaurants in Miami and did not meet the lofty expectations.

I may be bias when it comes to rating their food. As a child, I ate well. My pops was a chef at numerous high end restaurants and always had the hookup for stone crabs. I compare the home cooking stone crab to Joe's stone crab and they are about equal. I may even give the edge to my mom and dad. Factor in price and I would definitely give the edge to the parents. Joe's needs to be more innovative with their stone crab instead of sticking with the old ways. The appetizers and sides were too bland and very forgettable.

Service was nothing special. They served like a fancy restaurant should serve, although, they could be a little more personal.

The ambiance was just suffocating in a bad way. I felt uncomfortable in there because of the 'Old South' exuding from this restaurant. I feel if I were to eat a stone crab the wrong way at this place I would get healthy dose of the stink eye.

For the price and food, I would rather eat my mom and dad's stone crab at home.

Recommended for:Luxury Travelers
    Scott Daly

Sure this place is a mecca for great seafood but I actually came here for the Key Lime Cake and Key Lime Pie. I have always heard great things about them and I'm a sucker for key lime desserts so I just had to try them. OH MY WOW! These things were so scrumptious. I'm talking some of the best I have had. I love that I get to try great things when I travel but why the heck do they have to be so far away from where I live?! :(

94 people visited Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant