Kang Hodong's Baekjeong

3465 W 6th St Los Angeles, CA 90020

Richard
    5 Jul 10, 2014

This restaurant was rated as one of the top 3 Korean BBQ restaurants in Los Angeles; if you want the best meat quality and service then look no further. Expect to pay more due to their use of top quality meats. The Bachan was not top notch but, definitely not bad. The grill is using charcoal instead of gas!

[Food] - Only ordered 2 meats since the party wasn't in the mood for a lot of meat.

Prime Boneless Short Ribs $25.99 - Their short ribs blow away any other ribs I have eaten in all other restaurants. Every piece was juicy and cut perfectly with nice marbling throughout, now that's what prime meat should look and taste like. Theirs was not frozen at all.

Seared Pork Belly $18.99 - This pork belly tasted so delicious without the need to add any sauce; it was so flavorful.

Kimchi Fried Rice $6.99 - Skip this one since you'd enjoy a much better version elsewhere.

[Parking] - Just like most KBBQ places you have to stick with their valet parking, which is only $2 with validation. Street parking is very hard to find even on a weekday.

[Décor]- Nothing fancy here, no TV and the restroom can only occupy one person at a time.

[Service] - Top notch Almost all the cooking was done by the servers which is rare in most KBBQ places.

[Tips] - This place's entrance is in the valet parking section, you can't get to the restaurant from the street.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
  • Kang Hodong's BaekjeongAmbassadorPro 2014
    Kat Sun
    5 Jul 01, 2014

This place is at the top of my list for LA KBBQ! I went to school in LA, but now live up north, so I was so jealous of my friends when I heard about this spot opening and after seeing their photos. The spot is named after Kang Ho-Dong, a Korean wrestler and now comedian/entertainer. You'll see his likeliness outside the front door.

Parking...good luck, as with any spot in Downtown, hah. We got lucky and parked along the street (2 hour metered parking) and walked a block or two. The parking lot in this plaza is a bit small.

The inside is pretty big, so it can probably get really crowded during prime meal times. Friday lunch wasn't bad at all, only about half full. Their table set-up is different here -- there's a ring around the edge of the grill where they pour in egg mix to make scrambled egg, cook your veggies, and kimchi. The waiters here came over regularly to check on our meat for us and to cut it up. The paper where your spoon and chopsticks are tell you how to eat here just in case -- eat your meat with the salad and mix in the wasabi with the baekjeong secret house sauce for dipping. Another unique item among the banchan -- the gochujang (chilled pickled radish broth) and pajeon (Korean pancake) that you can heat up on the grill!

I liked everything we had for lunch: the special marinated short ribs, pork belly, and brisket!

FYI: NOT AYCE! With that being said, you'll probably spend more here (~$20-30/person depending on how much you can eat), but the price is worth the quality meat! It's a great spot to get together with 2-3 friends and get some soju with your meal :)

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Danny Nguyễn
    5 Jun 05, 2014

I've had plenty of Korean BBQ places in my days, and trust me when I say, this is the BEST KOREAN BBQ place EVER! Before I had Kang Hodong Baekjeong, I was all into the whole AYCE scene. After having this place, game over, hands down the best KBBQ!

There's two types of combos to get, either beef or pork. I opted for the pork since I read and heard so much about their pork neck. I was definitely NOT disappointed. The pork neck was so tender and soft. If there was no other meat being ordered I would've ordered another order of pork neck. Next was the pork belly, that was really good too but not as good as the pork belly I had at 8 flavors. Finally the marinated short rib, amazing. Perfectly marinated! Just don't cook it too long cause then it gets dry.

Parking is available on the streets, but if you can't find parking just park in the plaza for $2 valet! The place might have a long wait, but it was definitely worth the wait. I'm glad I came on Christmas day so the wait was only 30 mins. The damage came out to be about 50 for 2 people with the small pork combo. I'll definitely come back to try the beef combo!

Trina D.
    5 Apr 23, 2014

One of the better KBBQ places I've ever been to. There was a line at 11:15 am on Easter morning and they opened at 11:30 am. The place is not AYCE. You order off of the menu whatever you want. Jonathan Z. and Grace C., joined me for brunch. Grace ordered the 3-4 person combo ($89) for the 3 of us. The quality of the meat was excellent. We had brisket, short rib, marinated short rib, soup, rice, lettuce salad, and baekjeong salad.

They had kim chi set out for us as well as egg in a side pan that cooked from the heat of the grill. What I found to be really strange was the corn with shredded cheese. My friend who is Korean-American said that she'd never seen anything like that at a KBBQ place either. We received the soup before the meat came out but that's ok. I did notice that all the other tables had received their meats before us but maybe that's because we had just ordered. The servers do cook for you. If you're flipping something over or trying to cut it, if one of them walks by, they will take the tongs and scissors from you to help. That's a nice extra service that they offer. There's a bell you can ring should you need service immediately but it seems that they walk by often enough that you don't need it.

We had to ask for sesame oil for the salt. I guess it's not something they put out but you can ask for it. Grace asked for another bowl of rice and was told that we'd be charged for it. But when the bill came out they had forgotten about her extra rice. We had asked for extra bowls to divide the soup into but that never came and I felt bad about sipping the soup with my spoon when we could have been sharing it. Turns out I liked the soup better than the rest of the group because it was spicy. Win for me.

My favorite meats were the short rib and marinated short rib. It was wonderfully marbled. They also switched the grate quite often. They had a wire one for the fattier, thicker cuts and a flat, slotted grate for the brisket. They also had 2 pieces of charcoal in with the fire so that even though we used a gas burner, the meat was still enhanced with a little charcoal smoke. I enjoyed the house sauce that had bits of onion, jalapeno, and wasabi in it. The baekjeong salad was interesting too. It was full of hot sauce which was great. The dining experience here is pretty much what you'd expect from KBBQ. The quality of the meat was probably the best part of the meal. They don't take reservations and there probably will be a wait if you go on the weekends or during prime dinner time. It's only worth the wait if you think it is. That's why we went when it opened. 4.5 stars.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureTrendsters
    Grace C.
    4 Apr 21, 2014

Talk about popular.

So this is actually a chain from Korea owned by a pretty famous Korean comedian. This is not AYCE, but I would say there were 3 of us, and the 3-4 person combo (large size) as just right for us actually.

We got there at 1115am, they open at 1130. There was ALREADY a line. There is self parking, but keep in mind, we were there early on a Sunday. It's a tiny lot that they share with other businesses, so I'm sure there is valet in the prime dinner times. The location is also easy to miss since there really isn't any sign on 6th street to tip you off that this place is even here, and the entrance is off of the parking lot in the back.

The meat was delicious. You can choose the beef combo, the pork combo or order ala carte. We got the beef combo since I don't eat pork (sorry friends!). The beef combo comes with galbi, brisket and a non-marinated rib meat from what I remember reading. The quality of the meat was great. Totally worth the money. It also comes with a choice of either dengjang or kimchi soup.

There were no rice wraps and the banchan was only a few - a potato pancake, kimchi, mool kimchi, salad, bean sprouts, egg (in the pan - which we couldn't figure out what it was until it was cooked!), corn/cheese and some random peppers and onions. The sauce for the meat is actually quite tasty as well. I actually took the onions that had been sitting in that sauce and put it on the grill. Yum.

Price was pretty par with getting Korean BBQ at most places that aren't AYCE, came out to about 30-35 / person after tax and tip for the large combo for three of us.

Seating is different. There are tables that have just stools, and not chairs with backs, but there are tables with chairs that have backs. It's a mix. There is also seating outside in a covered patio area. Overall it's a rather small place, so seeing that it's popular, I can see how the lines can be long.

Xu Yin
    5 Apr 21, 2014

One of the best Korean BBQ I've ever had in US. Like all the great restaurant I recommended, the waiting time is crazy long, we got there at 6 which it's pretty early for dinner, but we still waited about 1.5 hours. The foods are very delicious, and services are great, they will help you cook the meat. We had a beef small combo that says for 2 people. We barely finished all the meat, so if you go there with only one or two friends, you should only order probably 2 or 3 dishes. Overall that's a great restaurant, if the waiting time can be shorter, it would be even better, but the food will make all the waiting time acceptable.

Recommended for:Family TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    JR Cajigas
    4 Mar 26, 2014

That actually says a lot because 'round these Ktown parts, KBBQ is the most known food culture. With that said, I'm also no stranger to KBBQ. The line on a Friday night was absurd. Reservations are not taken here, so the queue outside will typically take 30 - 60 mins. I don't think I've ever seen this place without a line. Our party of 10 had to be split up to 2 separate round tables, but looking around, big groups larger than 5 will probably not work well here.

-=-FOOD-=- The big difference here from most is that the meat is not bottomless. The whole table shares ordered plates, so for a full party of 5, you might be able to try about 3 different meat varieties. That's fine and dandy, because in the end we were all satisfied anyway with an average price around $30pp. A unique element that they do here is round the hot plate with beated eggs, and cheese corn. While you may not get your meat fill, you can certainly make up in eggs and corn since they will refill that for you. I cannot honestly say that the meat quality here was above other places, but with my brisket and pork bellies, I left plenty satisfied.

Mendel Lin
    5 Feb 12, 2014

One of the best places for pork Krn bbq. Get a small pork combo and it is perfect for 3 people.

In the past year, they have begun to rush people while eating. Tell them to slow it down and they will.

• Kang Hodong's BaekjeongCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Audrey Lo "@GogobotAudrey"
    5 Apr 18, 2014

Wow probably the best Korean BBQ I've had in LA! The galbi and marinated pork was so tender and juicy!

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesLocal Culture
    Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    5 Aug 21, 2013

This place gets cray cray. The lines are insanely long and you're scared to walk around in the restaurant in fear that you might get hit by one of the many servers or bussers running around with plates full of meat in their hands. But it's all worth it. The beef and pork are lip-smackingly delicious; as are the complimentary side dishes that come with them. You get a big bang for your buck here as the quality of the meat is high and the prices are very reasonable.

Tip: Once you put your name down on the wait list (they don't take reservations), walk around the area and grab a drink at one of the bars or cafes while you wait. Average wait time is around 45 mins.

Jessica Y.
    4 Feb 02, 2013

Korean celebrity (former comedian, TV host, and wrestler) graces the tabloids as he retires from the entertainment industry due to tax evasions. Now, Kang Ho Dong opens a trendy chain of Korean BBQ restaurants, where one is conveniently located in the heart of Ktown.
    Cool story, bro.

On a Friday night, we waited about an hour and ten minutes for food. Please come on a weekday night. I realized that nothing in this world makes me more angry than smelling BBQ while waiting.

Not AYCE, but they are popular for their beef or pork combos.

We ordered the pork combo ($40) and it came with:
    Pork neck, Pork butt, marinated short ribs OR marinated thinly sliced pork belly.
    - I think all were good, definitely this combo is good enough for 2-3 people.
    - During your grilling time, they will suggest to pan sear the pork belly for you in the kitchen, so you don't have to wait for grilling meat upon meat. It's a nice option after the long wait.

Please please please add "doshirak" to your meal:
    Doshirak simply means "lunch box" in Korean. They have an old school lunch tin with rice and various choices of banchan, and then they shake it up for you. It's like a comforting, poor man's bibimbap that I absolutely loved with my meat.
    I've only seen a BBQ place offer doshirak once, but that was in my recent trip to Korea. I was happy to see this.

Service was outstanding and our waiter was almost overly apologetic.
    Us: "thank you"
    Him: "No no no, I'm so sorry that I didn't get it out sooner"
    Us: .....

The grill is gimmicky and unique, as on the sides you cook your steamed egg and a little space for corn cheese and vegetables. These little panels take forever to cook, however, so if some of your pork grease drips in, don't get mad. (blessing in disguise)

Overall, I would come back to explore the beef combo. I will come at a better time to avoid the wait. Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong is located in the same plaza as Gaam and all the other sleezy Ktown institutions. It's almost perfect.

Recommended for:Trendsters
    Natalie K
    5 Jan 04, 2013

I have a new favorite non AYCE Korean BBQ place! I had to wait over an hour to get a table but it's so worth it. The food is so amazing.

They say each order of meat is supposed to be for one person but we ordered 4 things for 5 people and it was already too much. The best items are their pork neck and pork belly. The pork neck is so tender and tastes awesome. Their beef are also top quality. The short rib meat is nicely marbled and so good.

They have these Korean rice lunch boxes with kimchi and black beans. The taste is good although the beans were too undercooked. When you order it, they shake it next to your table for you. It's fun to watch.

I really like the eggs they put in the slot on the outer part of the grill. It cooks while your meat cooks and even though it sounds kind of gross, the drippings from the pork neck and belly drips into the eggs. I'm pretty sure it's the fat that makes the eggs taste so good.

The service is great. They grill the meat for you so you don't have to do it yourself. There are plenty of people working so you can get stuff right away.

Billy
    4 Aug 25, 2012

nice new kbbq place in ktown.

the service is great. and, the food is awesome.
    it is not all you can eat (ayce)
    but quality is way better.

14 people visited Kang Hodong's Baekjeong