- Counter Cafe626 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TXrecommended Counter CafeI went to school in Austin, and came back to visit and wonder how I missed this place for 4 years. This is one of the best dive restaurants I have ever been to. It has amazing brunch and lunch. If you ... read morego I highly recommend the Counter Burger.Patrick Keltner
This place is one of the best lunch stops in Austin. The food is simply amazing!
- BookPeople603 North Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX 78703recommended BookPeopleVery cool independent bookseller with great coffee shop and tons of reads. Calendar is full of events, including frequent readings and book signings by local and well-known authors. A must-visit in ... read moreAustin.Meg Brooker
Across from the Whole Foods flagship building-- another great Austin site--
- Broken Spoke3201 South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum605 Robert East Lee Road, Austin, TX 78704-1453recommended Umlauf Sculpture Garden & MuseumMoving collection of scultpures by 20th century American sculptor Charles Umlauf. Works range from spiritual to mythological to family themes and even some playful animals. Umlauf was influenced by ... read moreRodin and Bourdelle, among others, and worked in a variety of mediums. Indoor gallery space houses seasonally rotating exhibits. Garden is beautifully landscaped with a waterfall, lilly ponds, and is a lovely place to wander for an afternoon.Meg Brooker
Recently rated by Vogue magazine for top site to visit during SxSW--
- East Side King - Liberty Bar1618 1/2 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78702, United Statesrecommended East Side King - Liberty BarLove Liberty Bar and East Side King. Great dive bar feel with stiff drinks and plenty of room around the pool table. Best part of this place is the outdoor garden and the East Side King eats. Paul Qui ... read more(of Top Chef fame) is chef of this trailer food, and the brussel sprout salad is unbelievable (and only $6).Meg Brooker
Not sure how crowded-- Paul just won Top Chef!
- Chuy's Restaurant1728 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704recommended Chuy's RestaurantGreat Tex-Mex food. Fresh ingredients, friendly service. The decor is quite eclectic - with all sorts of random paraphernalia hanging from the walls and the ceilings. Don't forget to try the Boom Boom ... read moresauce - a cheesy-spicy-creamy sauce that they're famous for.Traci
An Austin institution - every time I go to Austin, my Austin friends take me here (2 separate times - they didn't know I had already been)!
- Flipnotics Coffeespace1601 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TXrecommended Flipnotics CoffeespaceFlipnotics is, hands down, the best coffee house in Austin. They've got a killer location on Barton Springs Road, a shady back patio, excellent coffee, delicious food and live music almost every night ... read moreof the week. This is essential Austin right here, folks. Don't miss it!
- SXSW500 East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX, United Statesrecommended SXSWSXSW (South by Southwest) is a week long orgy of music, film and general, non-stop mayhem. The best way to do the festival is to volunteer. If you do, you get a badge that'll get you in just about any ... read morevenue in exchange for a few hours each night checking wrist bands, hanging out with the bands that come from all over the world. Totally sweet gig. The SXSW showcase is when they bring out the big guns and is not to be missed - Tom Waits played the showcase the year I volunteered. There's also always a free show on 6th Street (no wristband or badge required). Iggy Pop, along with a host of other heavy hitters have graced said stage. SXSW rocks almost as hard as South Austin!
- Barton Springs Pool2201 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78746-5736recommended Barton Springs PoolSpring fed water at a constant 68 F makie this the place to cool ya heels after a night out in the 'World's Capital of Live Music.' The lush setting and adjacent dog park make this a killer place for ... read morepeople watching, catching a few rays and z's.
- Gueros Taco Bar1412 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704recommended Gueros Taco BarGueros is an Austin Institution. Almost every movie filmed in the state capital has got at least one scene with Gueros either in the background or with the characters inside having some of their ... read moretrademark killer carnitas or margaritas. Being big in the movies means it's popular with celebs, so it's a hot spot for star gazing too.
- Continental Club1315 S Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78704 recommended Continental ClubThe Continental Club is iconic Austin at its finest. It's one of those places where you feel cooler the minute you step in the door and that feeling of coolness ain't from the AC, if you know what I ... read moremean. Since 1950, they've been rocking South Austin and you can feel the presence of greatness when you're there (all 3 Hank Williams have been on the stage here at one point or another) but my persona fav back in the day (we're talking mid 90's) were Sunday nights with local legend Junior Brown on his 'Guit Steel' - like Ernest Tubb and Jimi Hendrix had a baby and called him Jr. Brown. Anyway, check the Austin Chronicle while you're there 'cause they've always got a rowdy mix of road shows and local acts to keep ya'll coming back.
- Alamo Drafthouse Austin: Downtown320 East 6th Street, Austin, TX, United Statesrecommended Alamo Drafthouse Austin: DowntownThe Alamo Drafthouse is just the coolest movie theatre on the whole friggin planet is all. Where else on earth can you enjoy such wacky happenings as the annual 'Stoner Olympics' (on 4/20 of course) ... read morewith Cheech and Chong as judges? Or how about a spaghetti western like 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' with a plateful of spaghetti included with your ticket? Or if that don't float your boat, how 'bout a blacksplotation flick and a 40oz of malt liquor to go along with it? I could go on forever 'cause these guys are always coming up with something cooler than the next. If you don't pop into the Alamo Drafthouse, you just haven't experienced Austin.
- W Austin Hotel200 Lavaca Street, Austin, TX 78701
- Torchy's Tacos1311 South 1st St., Austin, TX 78704
- 24 Diner600 North Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX
- Feathers Boutique1700 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX, United States
- Gourdough's1219 South Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704
- Moss Designer Consignment705B South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX
- Hopdoddy Burger Bar1400 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704
- Zilker Park2100 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78746