Trip Plan Details
- Hakone Gardens21000 Big Basin Way, Saratoga, CA 95070recommended Hakone GardensThis is a beautiful Japanese garden just past Saratoga. This is a nice place to take a relaxing contemplative stroll. Then when you are ready for something more social or active, you are just up the ... read morestreet from wine tasting and wonderful restaurants one way, or a gorgeous drive into the Santa Cruz Mountains and more active pursuits the other way..Comment.about 2 hours ago. ReportSarah Cottingham
Hakone is really romantic--my sister-in-law got married there! And, Savannah-Chanelle Winery, the Mountain Winery, Cinnabar Winery, and a couple others are all in the vicinity because wine tasting is another great romantic local event. Also nearby is recommended restaurant the Plumed Horse and also two other very romantic restaurants: Sent Sovi and La Fondue.
- Baker BeachBowley Street, San Francisco, CA 94129recommended Baker BeachOne of the best beaches in San Francisco, Baker Beach has postcard perfect views of the Golden Gate Bridge on one side, and the open pacific on the other. It's popular with locals, especially on ... read moreweekends, who come with everything from elaborate picnics to just a frisbee and a dog. Be sure to wear layers--temps can range from balmy to downright chilly. To get here, take the MUNI #29, which stops at the entrance or if you've got a car, follow the main drag in the Presidio until you reach the beach on the western edge (there's plenty of parking in two free lots)..Comment.11 days ago. ReportLiza Prado
I may be biased--my husband proposed to me at Baker Beach--but I think this is a wonderfully romantic spot if you like beaches, especially if it's a sunny day.
- The Plumed Horse14555 Big Basin Way, Saratoga, CA 95070recommended The Plumed HorseA-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! One of the best culinary experience I had in a long time. We had the chef's tasting menu and the best part in the menu was definitely the souffle. It's pretty expensive but I enjoyed ... read morethe food so much I think it's worth it....Comment.12 days ago. Report
- Boulevard1 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105recommended BoulevardI have always phoned for reservations but now the restaurant is on Open Table. Last time we went, we were seated near the Steuart Street end of the restaurant where we could see the lights on the Bay ... read moreBridge. We really enjoyed the ambiance of Boulevard, busy and friendly staff, and the interesting decor. We had been to Boulevard twice before and loved it so much we wanted to return. We were not disappointed. The menu is typically Californian with an emphasis on seasonal local ingredients. Our meals were outstanding and service very good. They have an excellent wine list and even though we felt we had splashed out, the total bill was slightly less than the very upscale seafood restaurant, Farallon. It was our last dinner in San Francisco and we thoroughly enjoyed it.Recommended for:FoodiesLaurel W
Highly recommend this restaurant.
- Lawrence Hall of Science1 Centennial Drive, Berkeley, CArecommended Lawrence Hall of ScienceOf all the countless times I've been to this spot, perched above the University of California campus in the Berkeley Hills, I've never once managed to go inside. Each time, I was arrested, the moment ... read moreI parked my car, by one of the San Francisco Bay Area's most stunning views -- the flats of the East Bay leading to the Bay Bridge, over Alcatraz and the blue waters of the Bay, the sharp hills of San Francisco across the way, and the stunning bridge-spanned mouth of the Golden Gate and the Marin Country headlands. This viewpoint is a Bay Area insiders' tip, and the perfect place to get an overview of the most beautiful city in the world. For romance, come at night for the city lights, and bring a bottle of wine.Recommended for:Outdoor EnthusiastsMatthew Crompton
Likewise, a glass of wine at this lookout for sunset, watching the lights come on all over the Bay as night falls, is supremely romantic. =)
- Mount TamalpaisMill Valley, CA 94941recommended Mount TamalpaisWhile nearby Muir Woods gets all the press, Mt. Tamalpais, beneath whose slopes they're nestled, is no less stunning. A favorite for cyclists and hikers (there are hundreds of miles of trails in the ... read morepark), the grassy southern slopes of the mountain near the summit offer one of the most spectacular panoramas in the Bay Area - a view out over the Pacific and the peninsula stretching away to the south. Best of all, the crowds of Muir Woods are nowhere to be seen. Go at an off-peak time and you might not meet another hiker.Matthew Crompton
For mind-blowing views (five years in the Bay Area and it never failed to take my breath away), the grass-covered hillsides of upper Mt. Tamalpais are unparalleled. For an outdoor date with 'wow' factor, it's a great choice.
- Stow Lake Boat & Bike Rentals50 Stow Lake Drive, San Francisco, CA, United Statesrecommended Stow Lake Boat & Bike RentalsStow Lake Boat & Bike Rentals will always hold a special part of my heart. I remember renting a boat here when I was a kid, begging my mom for the motorboat rather than the paddleboat. I learned then ... read morethat machinery and technology isn't always a great thing, as the paddleboat seemed much more fun. This is a great place to spend with your kids. The scenery is gorgeous, so even if you don't rent anything, it's a great place for a stroll. I'd reckon this is a fantastic spot for a date as well. Random note: Apparently Stow Lake is, like, totes haunted.Keane
Kissy kissy, boat boat!
- Musee MecaniqueTaylor Street and Jefferson Street, San Francisco, CA 94133recommended Musee MecaniqueThe only legitimate excuse anyone can have for not visiting the Musée Mécanique is simply not knowing it exists. This is the perfect destination for kids, families, dates, tourists and anyone with an ... read moreinterest in history and culture. Entrance is free and most games/exhibits are extremely cheap. Marvel at turn-of-the-century carnival games that are as morbid as they are sordid. Now I know why people were afraid of circuses. But most of the exhibits are quite lovely. A historical guide gives you some background on how this all came about. Finish that up with skee ball and a view of the San Francisco Bay and you've got yourself a well-spent afternoon.Keane
This is a cool spot for anyone interested in vintage things and history :)
recommended NightLife at California Academy of SciencesThe Academy of Sciences' NightLife is a great opportunity to both party and experience the museum at a reduced cost. Long lines form for both the planetarium and rainforest, so it's advisable to head ... read moreto those first. With live music, fun exhibits and a beautiful rooftop, it's a really fun experience.Keane
Went on a pseudo date here once and it was a great time.
commented on this trip
Aloha, Kat... expand your geography to Hawaii and I can show you MANY romantic spots! But since you're limiting to SF Bay these are some places I used to really like when I lived there: Cliff House restaurant, the Crown Room at the top of the Fairmont Hotel, Moss Beach Distillery (really liked their outdoor lanai with big thick blankets!), and for the best experience rent a pilot to take you on a night Bay Tour in a general aviation aircraft (suggest West Valley Flying Club at Palo Alto airport). Have fun and tell me what you choose to do.
- Golden Gate ParkStanyan & Haight Streets, San Francisco, CA 94117
- Windy Hill Regional Open SpacePortola Valley, Californiarecommended Windy Hill Regional Open SpaceNice place to fly a kite on a windy day. The view is lovely too. Can bring a picnic, go on a nature hike, or simply enjoy the view.Daniel Lewis
Well, if you like to fly kites or take a short nature walk this is a great spot (my wife and I went kite flying on our first date) so your mileage may vary. It is a lovely location. :)
- La Fondue - Saratoga14550 Big Basin Way, Saratoga, CA 95070recommended La Fondue - SaratogaMost romantic dinner destination! La Fondue is the bomb... a cheesy and chocolaty explosion of tasty goodness! February 28th, 2012 marks the 2-year anniversary between when Jacklynn and I started ... read moredating. To celebrate this occasion, we had a wonderfully fun and delicious, romantic dinner at La Fondue on the 29th. And what a dinner it was!!! Dinner included 1) Cheese Fondue, 2) Wild/Exotic Meat Platter, 3) Chocolate Fondue, and 4) bottle of Cabernet. To put it simply, the dinner experience at La Fondue, is unlike any other. We dipped a variety of little tidbits in cheese and chocolate, and we grilled our meats ourselves, and dipped them in a variety of sauces. It's literally grill your own food how you want it to be! Wild Mushroom (4 Cheese & Champagne) Cheese Fondue: This was an absolutely delicious cheese fondue. Imbued with four different cheeses and mushrooms, it went very well with the broccoli, tomatoes, potatoes, and pickles that we dipped into the fondue. The cheese was thick and simply oozed cheesy deliciousness. We dipped and scraped every last bit of cheese from the pot! None of it went to waste!!! Spinach Salad: spinach, feta cheese, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers, carrots, with Lemon Tarragon dressing - a great starter salad, chock-full of excellent toppings! The Lemon Tarragon dressing was delicious, providing some tartness that mixed very well with the salad. The dressing is a winner; I wouldn't hesitate to use it on other salads! Chef Salad: romaine, carrots, mozzarella cheese, chef rolls, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, with Honey Mustard dressing - one of the best-tasting salads I have ever had. Arrayed like artwork, the Chef Salad is fully loaded with excellent toppings, especially the chef rolls, stuffed with cheese and bacon, etc. The Honey Mustard dressing was also another winner - creamy but not to sweet, and provided enough sweetness to blend in well with the salad itself. Once you mix up the salad, take a big spoonful and taste the heavenly veggie sweetness!!! Le Freak C'est Chic (23oz.): This wild/exotic meat platter is sure to satisfy any adventurous foodie with it's variety of wild/gamey meats! Arrayed similar to sashimi platters, the Le Freak C'est Chic is entirely raw; we cooked the meats ourselves on a grill and dipped in a variety of sauces, including butter garlic, BBQ, Teriyaki, mango chutney, ginger/wasabi, and Green Goddess. As for the meat, we had a total of 24+ different meats, including Chicken, Chicken Japonaise, Savage Wile Duck, Swiss Chicken, Teriyaki Sirloin, Bronze Turkey, Pacific Catch, Spiced Fish, Alligator Tail, Fondue Chinoise Cheddar, Fondue Chinoise Swiss, Free Range Buffalo, Pacific White Shrimp, Sea Scallops, Tiger Blue Shrimps, Tuna Saku, Black Angus Filet Mignon, Free Range Venison (Deer), Himalayan Beef, Kangaroo, Wild Boar, Wild Nilgai Antelope, Colossal Shrimp, Lobster, Kobe Beef, and Dungeness Crab!!! A meat lover's dream come true! Put simply, this was one of the most spectacular meat platters I have ever eaten. Aside from the basic chicken and turkey, all the other meats were of the gamey variety, and all tasted absolutely wonderful!!! Chocolate Fondue: Chocotastic: Dark Chocolate, Hazelnut Mousse, & Mascarpone - this was chocolate heaven!!! Once the chocolate melted in the pot, it was time to dig in and start dipping with a variety of little tidbits: strawberries, marshmallows, rice kris pies, bananas, cookie dough, snickers, apples, cream-cheese balls, cream puffs, etc. The snickers and cookie dough were my personal absolute favorites. Once these sweet foods were dipped into the oh-so-delicious chocolate, the taste is enhanced 200%!!! Eating chocolate fondue is one of the most enjoyable experiences ever! La Fondue featured an upscale environment, and offered very chic trappings on the walls, furniture, tables, etc. Our waitress, Tamera, was awesome! She patiently explained how to eat the fondue, how to grill, and painstakingly came by our table multiple times to remind us which meats were what! The service was impeccable and it was hilarious each time Tamera came by and gave us a shocked look when she saw us steadily chowing everything down! With so much food, most people would have capitulated, but the food was too good to pass up!!! Dining at La Fondue was a wonderful experience, and everyone should give it a try! The staff made it very special for us by even comping us glasses of champagne to celebrate! We are definitely coming back here!!! It's pricy, but totally worth it for the food and experience!Stanley Chan
This is a great spot for a romantic dinner, as the food is quite tasty and the cheese and chocolate fondues are amazing! The decor, food, and service totally brings out the hearts and smiles!