Hiking and Surfing Peru
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
recommended MancoraMancora is a beach-lover's paradise and one of the best spots to soak up the sun and do some surfing in the country..Comment.4 months ago. ReportAlix F
Mancora is one of the best places in the country to go surfing! Also check out: Punta Hermosa (near Lima) and Chicama (known for its long waves).
recommended HuacachinaOne word: SANDBOARDING. Do it and fall in love! There are lots of places to stay and plenty to eat. Just go where the crowd goes.Recommended for:
- Cerro AzulPanamericana Sur km 312 - Cañete, San Vicente de CAñETE Perurecommended Cerro AzulPerfect little town on the most perfect long left surfing break. This place is absolutely idyllic. The kind of place you'd want to "lay low" at in a Quintin Tarantino movie, while also surfing epic ... read morewaves!Recommended for:Arlo Hemphill
Another one of my favorite spots is Cerro Azul. This place is amazing. It's a tiny little town, but the break is pealing, clean left that is one of the longest in Peru (which makes it one of the longest in the world...). You can do this as a day trip out of San Bartolo, but it is far enough away that you might consider just staying here for a couple nights. It is also, by the way, halfway to Nazca - if you were interested in going to check out the lines...
- Peñascal Surf HotelAvenue Las Palmeras 258 | Peñascal, San Bartolo, Lima, Perurecommended Peñascal Surf HotelThe nicest people in the nicest place on Earth. A true surfing oasis in the middle of the bleakest desert imaginable!Recommended for:Arlo Hemphill
I've surfed extensively throughout the region south of Lima. It is amazing. The wave quality is out of the world, and there is a genuine native surf culture to compliment it. I recommend basing yourself in San Bartolo. The breaks there are "OK", but it's a great spot to explore north and south, with world class breaks in both directions. Also, if you wanted to avoid driving yourself - the owners of the Penascal Surf Hotel are great people who surf. They offer complimentary shuttle service to local breaks - including secret spots!
commented on this trip
So I did not surf, but I did notice a lot of surfers in the water in the Miraflores district.
- Plaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas, Cuzco Peru
- The Sacred Valley of the IncasSacred Valley of the Incas, Cuzco Peru
- City of Cuzco Historic CenterCusco, Peru
- Machu Picchu120 kilómetros al NO, Cuzco Peru