Going to Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, USA
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
- Long Point Wildlife Refuge BeachOff West Tisbury Road, West Tisbury, MA 02568
- The Bite29 Basin Rd, Menemsha, MA 02552
- Larsen's Fish Market56 Basin Rd, Chilmark, MA 02535
- State Road Restaurant688 State Rd, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
- Homeport Restaurant57 Main St, Orleans, MA 02653
commented on this trip
- Vincent House Museum99 Main St Rea, Edgartown, MA 02539-8235recommended Vincent House MuseumVincent House is known to be one of the oldest homes in Martha's Vineyard. It happens to be one of the most beautiful grounds here in Edgartown especially when the cherry blossoms are in blossom.Recommended for:
recommended Gingerbread HousesThe Gingerbread Houses in Oak Bluff was deceivingly different from what I imagined but then again I thought it would be like Willy Wonka and there would actually be gingerbread houses. However, this ... read moreinteresting area of Oak Bluffs is a actually a collections of Victorian homes that are uniquely painted and with its own character. Seeing too many of them can be overwhelming as well. In the winter, it seems more like a vacant town but surely in the winter, it is a bustling campground. You can buy a house for only $300,000 however these homes were never built with heating.Recommended for:
recommended Edgartown Harbor - Town WharfTown Wharf has a high platform where you can get a wonderful view of the coastline and the lighthouse. It should not be missed! You'll also be able to see all the mansions that were built around the ... read morearea. Also, there is a neat sculpture of a giant whale's tail and boat. It is a symbolizes that it use to be a whalers' town.Recommended for:
recommended EdgartownEdgartown is by far my favorite place in Martha's Vineyard. It is a classy upscale quaint town with a historic feel to it. It was known to be the home for many wealthy captains who were whalers, who ... read morebuilt mansions up and down the coast. Many of these places are Inns now. You can walk through this town in about 30 minutes and able to see all the sights! It has beautiful churches (one done with Tiffany stained glass). There is just plenty of interesting tidbits about the city. You can pick up a walking tour guide at the Authority Steamship. Whether it is summer or winter, it is a lovely place to be.Recommended for:
- The Black Dog Tavern20 Beach St Ext, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568recommended The Black Dog TavernThe Black Dog is famous restaurant which has been here for since 1971. it became famous for the iconic Black Lab you'll see on T-shirts and cups. One of the shirts even popped up in the Monica ... read moreLewinsky Scandal. Bill Clinton gave her one of these shirts. Other stars and locals all come here to eat. The clam chowder is by far hands down far one of the greatest ones. Thick and creamy!! The fish and chip is fresh and yummy. However, being from Texas, I was disappointed by the angus burger. If you stick with the seafood, you will be fine. This cozy place has seating with a view of the port as well.Recommended for:
- John Presbury Norton Farm State Road, West Tisbury, Massachusettsrecommended John Presbury Norton FarmNew Land Bank property located right off of State Road. This place is a maze of multiple trails through the vineyard's beautiful farmlands and fresh water ponds. Although not the best marked yet, this ... read morenetwork of trails can certainly keep anyone entertained as there's much to explore!Recommended for:Katie Pierce
One of the newest Land Bank properties with an amazing expense of land and trail, John Presbury Norton Farm is now in my top 3 hiking spots on island.
recommended Black SheepBlack Sheep is a cheese store turned wine bar (after 6 pm). I love their cheese selection and they have some great wines. My problem with this place is the service. The hostess for the wine bar has ... read morefallen victim to the "judge a book by its cover" philosophy. I've been told multiple times that a table will be ready in a few minutes and then been made to wait over a hour (and it's probably due to the fact that, although of legal drinking age, I am quite young). So if you're not past 25 and dressed to impress, don't bother stopping by Black Sheep after 6 pm.Recommended for:Katie Pierce
If you like to snack and love cheese or wine, this is the spot to be. It's a great place to take friends a nosh on some light appetizers before grabbing dinner in Edgartown.
recommended SaltwaterI have rarely returned to a restaurant as frequently as I have to Saltwater. Part convenience and part great food/staff. I love the selection on the menu as well as the nice atmosphere of the place. ... read moreUpdate from 2013: Recently have been disappointed by Saltwater. The waitress I've had for the past two visits has been downright awful and quite rude. There are a lot of great places to eat on MV, so luckily I'm just leaving Saltwater entirely out of my lineup this year. Such a shame!Katie Pierce
I love Saltwater and am happy to announce that new for this season, they're serving up hearty breakfasts too! Their local egg sandwiches are just the right way to start off your day.
- Rickards114 Cook Road, Vineyard Haven, MArecommended RickardsThe cinnamon buns here are legendary - but also extremely illusive, since they're snatched up as soon as they come out of the oven. No matter. Rickard's loaves of bread are just as good (the sourdough ... read moreis phenomenal) and their sweet treats are unparalleled. This local bakery doesn't make it easy though. Their warehouse - and yes, it looks just like a warehouse with its huge metal doors - is hidden down a dirt path behind a small market. You'll know by the almost-edible smells coming from the bakery that you're in the right place.Erin K
Close to Little House Cafe...so you can come here for dessert!
- Little House Cafe339 State Rd Vineyard Haven, MA 02568recommended Little House CafeI tried fish tacos three times before coming to Little House Cafe, where fish tacos are their signature item. Fourth times a charm, right? RIGHT. These are the best fish tacos - and maybe even tacos ... read morein general - I have ever eaten. The taco itself was light and crispy, it wasn't overpowered by an overwhelming seafood taste or smell, and the fresh salsa (with creamy aioli) on top was amazing. The falafel sandwich was outstanding as well. It's a small restaurant, and relatively new, so I'd get here before everyone else figures out that this is the best new lunch place on the island.Erin K
I think this place is fairly new - and really good for kids, too.
- Sidecar Cafe & Bar16 Kennebec Ave, Oak Bluffs, MA 02568recommended Sidecar Cafe & BarIf you're a fan of narrow, intimate, dark restaurants, Sidecar is a perfect stop for both appetizers and dinner any night of the week. As its name suggests, Sidecar is on the smaller side but serves ... read moreup gourmet dishes as reputable as its nearby competitor The Sweet Life. Their cheese plate has a really great selection of cheeses, spreads and bread, and their cocktails are delicious. Seating is limited but that's part of the appeal, and it's well worth the wait.Erin K
Love this place!
- Gay Head Lighthouse9 Aquinnah Circle, Aquinnah, Martha's Vineyard
- Edgartown29 Church St, Edgartown, MA 02539-8160
- North Water Gallery27 North Water Street, Edgartown, MA