Trip Plan Details
- 17-Mile Drive17 Mile Drive, Pebble Beach, CA 93953recommended 17-Mile DriveThe 17-Mile Drive is the gorgeous oceanfront route between Monterey and Carmel. There are lots of places to park your car and explore the scenic beaches on your own (i.e. most people just jump out of ... read moretheir cars, take a few photos and move on). It's a good option if you want to beachcomb/check out tide pools in lots of different places, with lots of different vistas, in one day. The only bummer: it's a private road, so there's a toll to use it (around $10).
- Passionfish701 Lighthouse Ave, Pacific Grove, CA 93950recommended PassionfishOnce in a while, you happen upon the perfect restaurant. It has everything you could ever want in food service: The perfect view. Sustainably caught seafood. Decent prices. Lots of yummy starters. ... read moreInventive taste combinations. ... Okay, I want to go there now.Alex L
I second Passionfish!recommended PassionfishThis place is no secret, it's very popular with locals and visiting celebrities, but it's worth the hype. The food and the service here are top notch. The combinations of flavors are very well done. ... read moreMust haves: crab cakes and seared scallops. Perfectly seasoned and cooked! I did think some of the presentation was a little monochromatic, but the food and the service were so great, plus the fact that they only serve sustainable seafood is far more important than that. They even hand out Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch cards with your check (mine was outdated anyways) - which I loved!Traci
in addition to all this...a very affordable and top notch wine list!
- Sea Harvest Fish Market Restaurant598 Foam St, Monterey, CA 93940recommended Sea Harvest Fish Market RestaurantI stumbled upon this restaurant after a great day at the Aquarium - and it was a great meal! It's half fresh fish market/half restaurant and no frills but the food is delicious! Fresh, well prepared ... read moreand a great selection of fresh fish and seafood (as expected). They also had giant slices of cake for dessert the size of my head, but I was so stuffed I didn't have any room for dessert! I definitely recommend this place!Traci
If you go to the aquarium (which i highly recommend!) eat here afterwards -- such fresh fish, simply prepared in a no-frills environment!
- Carmel BelleDoud Craft Studios,, San Carlos Street, Carmel, CA, United Statesrecommended Carmel BelleI cannot express how much I enjoyed my meal here. I had the roasted mushroom melt which included poached eggs, chives, truffle oil, roasted mushrooms and toast. So simple, yet so delicious! The ... read morerestaurant is nothing fancy -- it sits in the open courtyard area of a small shopping plaza in downtown Carmel, you order at the counter and they give you a brightly colored wooden spoon to put at your table so the server can identify you when they have your food ready. The food is out of this world, and definitely worth a stop if you are in the Monterey/Carmel area.Traci
Another Gogoboter recommended this place to me, and it is still one of my favorite breakfasts I have had in a long time! Simple menu, only a few options, so perfect!
- Old Fisherman's WharfFisherman's Wharf and Olivier Street, Monterey, CA 93940
- Cannery RowCannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940
- Monterey Bay Aquarium886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940-1023recommended Monterey Bay AquariumMonterey Bay Aquarium is a phenomenal place for kids and adults alike. You'll find sea creatures of all sorts--from sea birds and otters to octopus and penguins. (And of course, all sorts of fish.) ... read moreThe museum is well designed with huge tanks (some a couple stories high), well-written placards, petting areas for kids (rays and star fish mostly), and daily activities like feedings and presentations. It's a bit pricey--almost $20 per kid, $30 for adults--and can get pretty crowded on weekends but it's definitely a must-see if you're in the area.Liza Prado
Clearly, this is a super touristed spot but I saw it on your list and thought some extra info might be helpful. Have fun!