Killer Shrimp

4211 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292

• Killer ShrimpPro 2014
    Hanae
    3 Nov 06, 2013

MMMMMMMMMMM Killer Shrimp platter!! You can dip your bread into the tasty spicy broth :)

Best time to go is during happy hour. 10pm-midnight has the best deal!

Happy Hour:
    Mon-Fri 3-7pm & 10pm-midnight
    Sat-Sun 3-5pm & 10pm-midnight

Recommended for:Business TravelersLocal CultureLuxury TravelersTrendsters
    Climbing Foodie
    1 Aug 06, 2014

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BREAK MY HEART?!?! WHAT DID I DO?!?!

Dear Killer Shrimp,

It was love at first bite, KS, your founder named you well. I remember when your creole flavors first touched my lips, it was January of 1992, we were introduced at a mutual friend's birthday party. From then on, my bff and I always included you in our celebrations, I raved about you for many many years to all my friends and shared your flavors and hospitality with them. Everyone fell victim to all things killer.

You stole my heart, you set the bar so high, no one could even come close to satisfying my hunger. Even when I found out I was allergic to one of your ingredients, I learned to compensate just so I could enjoy the pleasure you have always given me.

I just wanted to strip you naked and swirl your body in the succulent juices you came in and suck you into my mouth all the while sharing your yummy juices with a collendar of a perfectly baked French baguette. And you really finished me off with your sweet potato pecan pie with the homemade whipped cream. I screamed for more, but knew I couldn't take any more pleasure and I would have to wait until I could stand up straight again.

I traveled long distances in the rain for you, even in LA traffic. They say that long distance relationships never last. They were right, one by one you closed your doors on me, Redondo Beach, gone, Marina Del Rey, gone, Studio City gone. My heart was broken into pieces. I never imagined I could ever find the sort of love I had for you. I was completely lost. Then you resurfaced a couple years ago in Marina Del Rey. I was so ecstatic, my Best Friend and I returned to revel in your yummness.

We were in awwwww!!! Your new place was so welcoming, right on the marina with outdoor seating, the interior, amazingly beautiful the wood floors the good sized tables and booths, the bar, the bar was huge and well stocked. I was ready, willing and able to pick up where we left off. I was wowed by what was once a simple three item entree menu had quite a bit of work done to it. Thankfully the three items were untouched, the flavors still sent me into a state of euphoria.

Unfortunately the past several visits have been all but joyous, which is noted in my previous review. Our most recent visit was the third strike.

Bff and I went in with a clear and open mind that you would have taken my suggestions to heart and changed your ways for the better, instead, you went in the opposite direction.

-Upon being seated, our table was filthy and the hostess wiped the table by pushing the crumbs into our laps.

-Bff's white wine was warm and had some small cork in the glass. She ended up adding ice to her wine.

-The soupy sauce was watered down and it seemed they mixed two kinds of shrimp... Some tasted like shrimp, while others tasted like water.

-There was a HAIR in bffs shrimp. Mgr approved a new bowl. That's what did it for the bff, she was over the hype of KS.

-What's up with the smashed French Baguette?

-Server, Brielle, notified us she was going on break and said the porty (??) blonde will be helping us. Name calling is rude and unprofessional.

-The sweet potato pecan pie lacked the taste of sweet potatoe.

-The decaf coffee tasted as though it had been sitting for awhile, I didn't even finish my cup. And what's up with the plastic stirrers? What happened to the spoons? I asked for spoons because I prefer eating dessert with a spoon and bff likes putting some whipped cream in her coffee, spoons never came and we were so done with our experience, neither one bothered to ask, again.

-Walking out I took a pic of the floor. It's a lot nicer looking when it's clean.

-Walking to the restroom there were used paper towels on the floor. That's what happens when you don't put a trash can near the door. Also, walking to the ladies' room the smell of urine from the men permeated the walkway.

Bff and I discussed possible reasons for the sudden downward spiral KS has taken over the couple of years; not as successful as first thought? Possible Bankruptcy knocking on the doors? Why else would business' cut corners; watering down their entrees, using smaller amounts of ingredients, plastic stirrers in place of spoons. Kevin, it's doubtful your father would be proud of what has become of KS.

It causes me so much pain to have to end our 22 years of love and devotion, but like any relationship, it's a two way street. I have completely devoted to you, I have sung your praises to hundreds of people over the years, but it doesn't appear you are all that interested in me anymore, so I will have to let you go and give you the freedom to find who you believe in your sole mate.

Thank you for so many years of unbelievable pleasure, I wish you the best of luck in all that you do.

SIDENOTE: I'd give this place no stars if I could. Very disappointed.

Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversVegetarian
    Lizette Ortiz
    5 Oct 10, 2012

After a 16 mile bike ride along the beach, my husband and I decided to come in here for a reinvigorating meal. And a drink… or two. It was busy, and we had no reservations, so we went to try our luck at the bar. Since people who are waiting for their tables tend do sit at the bar, spots open fairly quickly! So don't fret if they tell you there's a 45min wait for a table; there's always the bar! Although if you want a table quickly at dinner time, you probably should make reservations.

We wanted to stay as healthy as possible in our choices and so we got one order of killer shrimp, original not shelled, grilled asparagus (as a side) and grilled vegetables. As always, the broth was a perfect combination of spicy, buttery and full of flavor. The shrimp are huge and tender. We like to order them with shells as part of the experience, but if you don't feel like peeling shrimp, you can always get the shelled kind. You also get a basket of bread slices to dip in this amazing broth; and it's so hard not to fill up on them! I am originally from Mexico, and the flavor of the broth reminds me of menudo, but with shrimp flavor instead of tripe. Delicious!

Once we were done and the crowd receded a bit, our bartender, Tee, recognized us from our previous visit a few weeks before! When I had tried their delicious piña colada-like drink "pieces of eight". It was sweet and tropical, and just the perfect dessert to cool you down after a serving of killer shrimp!

It wasn't our first visit, and it certainly won't be our last!

Betty N.
    3 Sep 06, 2012

**GOOD SHRIMP BUT YUCKY MOJITO**

We stopped by on a Sunday afternoon after a glorious day of boating.

We parked at the dock, so parking was not an issue.

Ordered the ORIGINAL served with French bread ($15.95).

Simmered in 10 hours for the spicy flavor sauce.

Loved the French bread dipping into the broth.

Served PIPING HOT and fast.

It's no BOILING CRAB, but it wasn't bad.

Also ordered the MOJITO and it was probably the worst mojito I've ever had. 3 different colors infused in a cocktail? Not a good sign.

RECOMMEND the shrimp but skip the mojito.

Carrie Kommers

Back in the day there were several of these. They were bare bones joints with black pleather booths and really surly tattooed waitresses, and they only served three things: shrimp and bread, shrimp and pasta or shrimp and rice. Real devotees knew that you only ordered The Original—shrimp and bread. You’d probably get a beer and maybe the sweet potato pie for dessert, but you were only there for one reason. To dip your hands into a scalding hot bowl of Creole-scented broth, peel those bad boys and have the feast of your life. When the last location closed several years ago vigils were held and fan clubs established, but finally it’s reopened, not too far from its original Marina Del Rey location. The interior is a bit like a bad hotel restaurant—kind of soulless, but it’s irrelevant. Just ignore the rest of the menu and order The Original. You’ll thank me.

692 people visited Killer Shrimp

Moderate$$

Monday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Tuesday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Wednesday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Thursday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday 11:30am - 11:00pm

• website: