Kogi

Kogi

• Kogi

The Godfather of all gourmet food trucks.

Recommended for:FoodiesBudget TravelersFamily TravelersTrendsters
  • KogiPro 2014

Kogi Kogi Kogi!

In Korean, Kogi means barbecue. Just the name alone sounds good. I know there's a lot of hype out there about food trucks and the cupcake crazy and I swore I would not be sucked in... but what kind of yelper would I be if I didn't give Kogi a try?

Lucky for me, Kogi stops by once a month in front of my apartment complex so no excuse for me not trying it. My first experience was just okay. I wasn't pleased with waiting 35 minutes in line then another 45 minutes for the order to arrive. The only possible foods I would wait that long for is AYCE Shrimp, sushi, or Korean barbecue. Thank goodness my second trip there I came a little early and I was FIRST IN LINE :). Yeah yeah! It was not that hard because most of the customers showed up "Asian Time" (late ofcourse) so it was piece of cake. My order took about 5 or 10 minutes. I think that small orders go quicker, because my order was the 5th order to come out, dispite ordering first...hhmm that's kinda shady to me, because the guy giving out the food knew the name of a few customers that ordered after me. So I'm not sure if they were playing favorites or they just take extra long to make orders that are more than 2 items.

PROS:
    -My second visit the quality was a lot better and less greasy. Maybe because I was the first in line.
    -The truck parks at local places in Irvine so no need to go to LA.
    -The service is extremely friendly and helpful if you can't decide.
    -A twist on Korean food prepared in Mexican food dishes.
    -Any item with Kogi beef is good, pork not so great.
    -Kogi Sliders are the Best Item and the beef tacos are a close second. The burritos and everything else I tried were Meh!.

CONS:
    -CASH ONLY! :( Bring a lot of cash! If you don't eat like a super model, bring enough cash to order a lot of these "cheap" items.
    -A lot of food trucks serve grease balls. This "gourmet truck", Kogi is no exception.
    -If you looking for Kogi to live up to the hype, prepare to be disappointed. It is like expecting the new Star Wars movies to be like the orginal.
    -I cooked some korean barbecue and put it in a taco and it taste WAY BETTER than Kogi.
    -TOO GREASY! If Kogi was a restaurant and made cleaner less grease food with the same mix of flavors. I would be a fan. Since they serve such a high volume. I would not mind if Kogi precooked their food then lightly fry it before serving, like most restaurant do.
    -The WAITING is redicious and not worth the wait. If there was no wait, the food would taste better and I may be a fan. Seriously? Food trucks are suppose to be more convient than going to a Fast Food restaurant. I'm sure you can drive to any restaurant within 10 miles get your food To Go and eat it, before most Kogi customers get their food.
    -Raised the taco prices recently. BOO!
    -Tacos look very appealling and presentable, but the burritos look like a Chop Suey of grease and faded colors. Play the "I Spy" game to find the meat in the mess.
    -Kogi may cook the food faster for regulars.
    -Big orders take longer. If you wait for 30 minutes to an hour, why wouldn't you order everything you can for friends, family, teachers, and enemies?

The average wait for most restaurant are about 20 minutes to get seated. I'm sure the average wait for Kogi just to order is about 35 minutes. If this is worth it to you give Kogi a try, if you not I say pass. I recommend that you give Kogi a try if you are curious, but if you think it will live up to the hype of Kogi-fanboys SAVE YOUR MONEY and eat real Korean food or Mexcian food. Would I go back? Maybe...

• Kogi

The famous Korean taco truck. Well deserving of the hype. Tacos are delicious, but burritos are a better deal. Tons of meat and egg. The spicy pork is good and the kalbi is incredible.

• Kogi

I love Kogi! The burritos are your best option here - delicious, and so filling... so if you don't have a big appetite, split it with a friend! I got the short rib burrito here... probably my favorite thing off of the Kogi menu. Also, fun to try: sriracha bar.... it's a really delicious, unique dessert. Try it!

• Kogi

The original gourmet Korean taco food truck! So delicious. They generously make their burritos into bowls if you request it (yay! no flour tortilla!). Even though they have been around for a while now, lines can still be brutal. Prices are more than you pay for typical street meat, but this is anything but typical.

106 people visited Kogi