La Descarga

1159 North Western Avenue, Los Angeles, CA, United States

• La DescargaPro 2014
    Hanae
    5 Jan 15, 2014

I was so thrilled when I found La Descarga all thanks to yelp!!! After exploring a wondrous bar with a hidden door in New York (called PDT), I figured LA must have something similar as well.

La Descarga is a speakeasy cuban bar/lounge with exceptional cocktail drinks, a cigar lounge, a hostess that'll personally welcome you, salsa dancing, live music, cabaret dancers with fire and a hidden entrance!!! This is by far my favorite bar/lounge in LA that I'd recommend to all my friends (who aren't penny-pinchers)!

I took my friend here for his early birthday present Friday night. He had no idea where I was taking him. I told him it's a hidden gem that's so awesome that it'll feel like he went to narnia :P I rsvp'd for 9:15pm but showed up 20min early because there was no traffic. The bouncer was very hospitable and we chatted for a bit before he let us in :) Upstairs, there was a pretty lady who stood by her desk with a big smile. She welcomed us and gave us a brief description of the bar/lounge. My friend was surprised when she opened the wardrobe for us to enter :D

He seemed super thrilled with the place and he made sure he tried couple of their signature cocktails. Everyone except for the bartender at the cigar lounge were sociable. The place is cozy and it's hard to find a place to sit during busy hours.

Tips:
    - Show up early so you have time to settle down at the bar and the cigar lounge before it gets crowded (around 9:30 on a Friday night).
    - Reservation via phone/website is highly recommended
    - Pay $8 for valet, it's worth it cuz the neighborhood is ghetto-y
    - Try their cigars! I had my very first one and it went well with my cocktail.

LOVE:
    - The cuban themed atmosphere
    - Watching them make their quality cocktails (they look like they were dancing to the music while they shook the drinks!).
    - Live music and a sexy dancer twirling a fire around!

DRINKS: Be patient with the bartenders during busy hours. If you watch them create it with fresh ingredients then you'll understand that it's worth the wait.

My friend had
    - Old Ironsides
    - Shoreleave Wristwatch (his favorite)
    - Ramble on (his least favorite out of the 4 he drank)
    - 2 cocktails with pineapple juice that has a cool name. It came in a large fancy cocktail glass with orange and lemon garnish...ugh can't remember the name!

I had
    -La Descarga Planters Punch (yum!!!)
    - Mojito (it had the perfect amount of sweetness)

What my friend didn't let me have because I was his dd
    - Caipirinha (heard it's really good)

Recommended for:Local CultureLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Mary B Pace
    4 Mar 16, 2014
    Recommended for:Art & Design LoversLocal CultureNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Kristen G
    5 Sep 26, 2013

Swanky Cuban Cigar Bar by reservation only!!
    This hip joint serves all kinds of rare tequilas and rums, has live band music and dance performances every hour on the hour.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersLocal CultureNightlife LoversTrendsters
  • La DescargaPro 2014
    Billy
    3 Feb 24, 2014

Came here for the LA Travel Magazine Winter Issue Launch Party

Parking: Metered street parking or valet. Neighborhood is so-so.

After a slight wait to enter, we climbed up a flight of stair to the room on the right.
    We were met by a lady (who was talking to the bouncer). She opened the closet door to reveal a hidden doorway. The walkway, overlooking the main bar area, led to a spiral staircase.

There are two large sitting areas.

If you walk to the back, there is a cigar bar.

We were treated to an open bar. I tried several drinks including their mojito and a spicy drink.

We were treated to live music. But, they had some technical issues with the microphone. We had to deal with feedback throughout the night.
    For some reason, the food never showed up so we left to grab some food.

Overall, it was a nice place. I would recommend.

Recommended for:Local CultureNightlife Lovers
    Laura S
    4 Aug 19, 2013

Really cool scene. When you first enter, you have to walk up some stairs and then come into this office looking room... and the person welcomes you... like a scene in a movie and she opens the closet and lets you into the World of La Descarga.... or a night lounge with lots of lights!

AMBIANCE:
    Very cool laid back speakeasy feel. There is a bar room with seats and then there is a cigar room (where people can spoke) and drink and sit. There was live music (Yelp event) and dancers. Very Cuban or South American feel.

SERVICE:
    The bartender (girl) was really nice and I joked with her and she was super friendly. There was a guy bartender who wasn't so friendly. I ordered a alcoholic drink from her and a nonalcoholic drink from him but I tipped them just the same but the guy gave me some attitude. But I didn't let that from letting me have a good time.

ALCOHOL:
    Starr Rum (from Africa) - like the cherry taste to it. I like Rum... so it was pretty good. But I liked it when it was mixed more than straight up because I don't drink alcohol that often anyways, but when I did, it was pretty good.

LOCATION:
    Hard to find street parking, but they do have Valet for $8. Also, the outside looks a bit ghetto but when you go inside, it's lovely!

OVERALL:
    Really trendy and lively. I like the atmosphere. I gave it a 4 because I'm not a fan of cigarette smoke and the cigar room smelled of cigarettes so I didn't get to enjoy the cigar room. The smell of cigar doesn't bother me for some reason but there were cigarettes there. So kinda didn't like that, but that's my personal piece.

NOTE:
    BE CAREFUL OF THE STEPS!
    Their floors in each room are leveled differently... So you MUST watch your step. I've almost fallen several times... now imagine Alcohol in the picture... So be careful! :D

Recommended for:Trendsters
    Jessica Busiashvili
    5 Jul 25, 2012

Rum Diaries, Saxophone, Jazz, Cigar Room, & need I say hourly sexed up dancing that will make you feel slightly insecure that your hips don't move like that :(.... but the rum will keep them moving!
    This is the spot, that is for sure! By reservation only, dress code as well, dancing, drinking, and spoking are all aloud... and in good measure this spot will have you coming back over and over again.
    PS. The mojitos are just amazing- I advise though just to have one, to keep the hangover down with the sugar piled in....

1,193 people visited La Descarga