La Folie

2316 Polk St, San Francisco, CA 94109

Owie
    5 Mar 10, 2014

I am positive that I would not forget my fine dine experienced at La Folie when my guy credit card was not able to scanned through the machine. He had to ran across the street to use the ATM machine to withdrawal the money. Oh boy, that sure broke a sweat out of him.

Upon arriving at the restaurant, we were greeted with warm welcoming and was directed to a private room. The private room was itself a remarkable beauty and a wonderful romantic ambiance feel to it.

We decided to go with the tasting menu and proceeded with our selections:

- "Tasting of Passot Roe" = freshly sample of ceviche scallops and kusshi oyster.

- Triple T Ranch Tempura Duck Egg = delicious duck egg goes hand in hand with the sweetbread pancake and truffle vinaigrette.

- Butter Poached Lobster, on Pea Ravioli with Truffle Beurre Fondue, and Marcona Almond Salad = refreshing, light, and hearty.

- Lobster and Mushroom Risotto = amazing combination. I love risotto in general.

- Roasted Emigh Farms Lamb Rack = never in my life had I seen lamb of rack bone so long. The lamb was tender and cooked to perfection. Lamb tongue taste just as scrumptious.

- Liberty Farm Duck Breast and Confit Leg = flavorful peach jus on medium rare duck was an ultimate meal on earth. This entree was spectacular and nice pairing with blueberries. I devoured this within seconds.

- Edam Cheese Souffle = must get souffle when fine dining at a French restaurant. One can't go wrong with bacon and cheese in a dessert. Yummy!

- Valrhona Chocolate Bread Pudding = green tea white chocolate ganache with strawberry topping and ice cream was delectable and mouth watering good.

We also had complimentary dishes such as amuse bouches, poached egg with brioche and potato crisp ( it was so good), palette cleanser after our meal and sample desserts.

My fine dining experience at this restaurant was tremendous. Everything was impeccable from the food to the service and to the decor. I love this place and it is amongst one of my new favorite fine dine place in San Francisco.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodiesLocal CultureLuxury Travelers
    Harold Smith-Franzen (@smithfranzen)
    3 Nov 24, 2013

Good upscale French restaurant in Russian Hill. The service and food are solid and the presentation is exceptional. The menu has a lot of seafood and the quality of the ingredients is quite good.

La Folie certainly isn't trendy or hip but it seems to have a loyal following of 50 somethings and reservations during peak dinner times can be difficult to get.

I wasn't entirely impressed when the waiter told me that we should consider either a "white burgundy" or a "chardonnay." If you need a wine recommendation, be sure to chat with the sommelier.

Recommended for:Local CultureLuxury TravelersBusiness Travelers
    Travel + Leisure
    5 Oct 22, 2013

If presentation is an indicator, classically trained chef Roland Passot is still having a blast whipping up French-California dishes that live up to the restaurant’s name (meaning “folly” or “madness”). Prix fixe menus feature duck breast and sautéed Burgundy snails as well as more contemporary dishes like Dungeness crab salad on English pea panna cotta, served with a passion that has made this a Bay Area favorite for 25 years.

Gogobot Editors' Choice
    5 Aug 22, 2013

La Folie offers an adventurous dining experience on par with the modern version of a European nineteenth-century Grand Tour. The pressed tin ceiling and sleek table settings create a deceptively simple backdrop for the whimsical creations about to grace the tables. Think dishes like quail foie gras lollipops and sauteed escargot with bone marrow gratin. The French-born chef brings a sense of fun to fine dining in a way rarely seen in either Europe or the United States.

Recommended for:Adventure TravelersFoodies
    Roy Chi
    3 Jan 04, 2013

La Folie has been on my must-try list for years now and I finally got to experience it with a group of 6 for my friend's birthday dinner. The atmosphere was awesome -- a nice, fancy restaurant that's reminiscent of the French decor you'd find in New Orleans.

Our server, Iva, was knowledgeable and friendly. The service as a whole was pretty great, but that's expected for a restaurant at this price point.

------------------------------

FOOD:

Amuse Bouche 1 (Foie Gras Mousse) = A great way to start off the meal. Light foie gras flavor that really prepares you for the foie gras feat that awaits you.

Amuse Bouche 2 (Egg yolk w/ carrot soup and brioche) = This was interesting and actually quite good. The carrot soup is excellent with the running egg yolk.

Tempura Duck Egg on Sweetbread Pancake = I loved this dish. Duck egg was prefectly runny and it was delicately fried.

Seared Foie Gras = Holy crap, this is the biggest single serving of foie gras I've ever seen. It was literally the size of my fist. It was well-cooked with tons of that fatty foie gras flavor. I don't think it really went very well with the sliced pear/apple beneath it -- I wish they had a better complementary ingredient to balance out the fattiness. It's definitely not the best foie gras I've ever had, but it is pretty remarkable to look at.

Foie Gras Torchon = The torchon was good, but didn't have a very strong foie gras flavor that I was expecting. I was probably foie gras'd out from the seared foie gras, but it just wasn't as satisfying as I was hoping.

Lobster Risotto = The lobster was perfectly cooked, but the risotto was way too creamy. It felt more like a thick soup than a risotto. Don't get me wrong, though, the buttery flavor was amazing, but I actually prefer the lobster risotto at Gary Danko.

Foie Gras Mousse dessert = This was great. Loved the hazelnut wafer, as it perfectly meshed with the foie gras mousse. The bacon ice cream was a strange pairing, but definitely delicious on its own.

------------------------------

What disappointed me, however, was the fact that they didn't do anything for my friend's birthday. I had called them in advance to make sure they knew it was his birthday, and I even reminded the waitress at dinner. But they didn't even give us a verbal "Happy Birthday", let alone something special that I was expecting. We were in a rush, yes, but they could have at least done something when they brought out the desserts.

I may sometime in the future give La Folie another shot, but compared with all the amazing French restaurants in San Francisco, my experience just wasn't a phenomenal one. It's sad because I was really looking forward to La Folie being a birthday experience that my friend would remember.

Carlie Yapp

My wife and I went to La Folie a few weeks ago initially walking into the La Folie bar full of SF drinkers, not the dining area with a more "tame" crowd. If you are interested in going to a young bar, I would head to the door on the right; if you want a nice dining evening make sure you head to the door on the left. Either option isn't bad.

Having been to several high end places, I would rate my experience as highly enjoyable and worth the "money" you pay. If you aren't interested in paying $150 - $300 a head for a fine dining experience (no alcohol), I would probably skip this message.

With that said, the overall service is excellent. The sommelier was excellent recommending a half bottle of bordeaux to go with my meal (went well with both the shellfish and meats - quail

Bernard Moon

Great food and atmosphere for a romantic date. My wife and I both enjoy this restaurant.

Probably a five star if I was just comparing within SF, but I give it a four. Just not on par with places such as Charlie Trotter's (Chicago) and Picasso (Las Vegas).

Verlisia

It had been a while since I has such excellent French food. At a time when fusion and innovation are all the rage, it is not easy to find some conventional yet creative French cuisine.

Rich in flavors and heavy oriented around meat, what La Folie offers is a hearty meal and a luxury occasional treat. It not a dinner for those who constantly worry about their calorie intake. This is the very first time when I have a tasting menu at a French restaurant that I actually have to box some of my food home. And I really only ordered the 4 course menu!

I adore the chef's style and his menu selection. Everything offered on menu takes an impeccable amount of afford to create. There are none of those simple quick assemble.

If you are a Foie Gras lover (and who isn't?), you MUST try their seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras. I have tried a good amount of Foie Gras and it is here where I had the best seared foie gras in the US. The texture, the sauce and the combination of flavors are perfect in every way.

The Pig Feet and the Trio of Rabbit entrees made me smiled. I really felt like an elite while dining here. A lot of care were put into these dishes and the final result is exquisite.

The meat dishes seem to be slightly better than the seafood counterparts. The poached lobster and butterfish, while both decent, are not on the same level as the pig feet and rabbit. I found the butterfish slightly tough and the poached lobster a bit chewy rather than crunchy.

Dessert is where La Folie fell short. Ever since I had that amazing cheese souffle at La Papillon in Santa Clara, none of the souffle seems to compare. Not fair I know.

I know it will be a while before I would return to La Folie but it will always be on my mind. So many restaurants to try in the city and one can only have one fancy dinner a day.

Jason Flegel
    LGBT
    5 Feb 13, 2014

The meal I ate here last night may actually be the best meal I've ever eaten. My boyfriend decided to take me out for a nice dinner for my birthday. The first thing I said when we sat down was "wow, this is way too expensive"-- yeah, it's not cheap; don't expect to leave for under $100/person, not including wine. That said, if it's a special occasion or you have cash to spare, I propose that there is no better French meal to be had in San Francisco.

The food is, at its base, classically French. The flavors, twists, and presentation are anything but traditional. I tried escargot, frog legs, and foie gras for the very first time; wow! I can't say I'm a fan of eating snails, and I probably won't have them again, but the flavor was actually pretty delicious. The frog legs were really light and tasty; the garlic/foie gras flan that accompanied it was heavenly. The actual foie gras dish was pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever tasted. Smooth and melty-- who knew so much flavor could be packed into something so tiny. My "Le Bouef" entree was steak done the right way-- well, the right 3 ways. There was a mini burger-- juicy and succulent, a braised short-rib-- flavorful and tender, and (the piece de resistance) a filet on a bed of spinach-- it took me a good hour to eat it; I just had to savor every bite. For dessert (you didn't think I'd forget dessert!), I had the edame cheese souffle with white cheese sorbet. Sounds weird, but was the perfect balance of sweet and savory-- absolutely amazing.

The decor is simple: elegant but understated. It's really as if they are actively trying to reduce the pretentiousness that can sometimes accompany a $300 French meal. I appreciated it. It's not as if they need it anyway; the food here really speaks for itself. Despite the fact that when I arrived, I was definitely the youngest person in the restaurant by ~20 years, I wasn't scoffed at or treated differently. The staff were all extremely friendly and accommodating-- exactly what I wouldn't expect from such a nice restaurant as a 20-something-year-old (Thanks Mandy et al.).

At the end of the meal, I actually got to meet the chef. He came out to say hello and make sure I enjoyed everything he served. How silly; it was amazing, of course!

David L.

located on Polk st in Russian Hill, this restaurant has a simple classic architecture with high ceilings. we dined here just before xmas and nearly all the parties were here to celebrate something. a few engagements, anniversaries, etc. service was excellent. parking wasn't bad. food was good all around. my highlight was the frog legs. it came with 3 different types of sauces, but the legs were well seasoned and tasty enough as is. actually they were finger lickin' good. i've never had frog legs but damn those were good! and yes, tastes like chicken...

Sharon K. Yapp
    5 Sep 09, 2013
    Recommended for:FoodiesLuxury TravelersNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Joanna Sun
    5 Nov 08, 2012

Ok. This is now my favorite restaurant in San Francisco.

Tom Sirijaroonchai
    3 Jul 24, 2014
    Jenn B
    5 Jul 10, 2014

917 people visited La Folie

Up on Polk Street in Russian Hill, Chef Roland Passot serves up classic French fare with a creative perspective. The food isn't cheap, but the experience is world-class-- each dish is a work of art, both visually and culinarily. Be sure to check with their in-house sommelier for wine pairings and look for the chef roaming about the, rather intimate, restaurant-- he likes to meet his diners and ... read more
make sure they're having a fantastic meal. If you're not in the mood for food, check out the the La Folie bar next door for a swanky after-work drink and snack.

da Vinci Villa